Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Are you getting an iPad? (Part 2)

Old 03-06-11, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts
Re: Are you getting an iPad? (Part 2)

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
uh?
I'm assuming those with USB ports are powered which means I could use in a pinch to charge my iPhone or iPod

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Some Android tablets have USB ports, which can be used to power USB devices. If the tablet wasn't plugged in, you'd essentially be draining the tablet's battery to charge the iPhone, and it may not charge the iPhone that fast or completely, but it'd work at least somewhat.
Exactly. I use my netbook for that. Even unplugged it will recharge my iPhone pretty good and fairly quickly. Of course not as quick as plugging in. And I am "robbing peter to pay paul", but typically my iPhone is the priority. My netbook on its own can last 7+ hours on a batter charge. So if I lose an hour or two charging my phone, I can live with that.

Course I don't know if it would work as well on a USB on a tablet...but assuming it would be fairly close.

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
OK. And yeah, that doesn't sound like a good idea. Maybe for an emergency.
No, not a great idea. But yea...for an emergency. And at least mechanically it is set up to handle other devices. I still have no plans to get any sort of true tablet (tho that hybrid Lenovo's U1 unit is super appealing to me, but not at the grand or more price tag - if it got to $750 I might consider). But if I did, I'd at least want one that had some hope of being able to hook my phone/iPod into it in the future.

It almost seems like there should be an app the runs "iTunes lite" that streams from from your home (host?) computer that could then update your phone/iPod. I know there are ways to stream things from a computer to your phone, but I want to actually be able to d/l to the phone/ipod and store it there.
Old 03-07-11, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
So order starting March 11th according to online store. Wonder when delivery is then. Ships immediately or a 2-4 week wait?
Did this ever get answered?
Old 03-07-11, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
So order starting March 11th according to online store. Wonder when delivery is then. Ships immediately or a 2-4 week wait?
March 11th is the release date, not the pre-order date (there are no pre-orders for it this time around). The iPad 2 will be in stores starting at 5pm that day (presumably to allow time for last-minute deliveries to stores).

You should be able to order online starting at 12:01am PST that morning, and it should start shipping that day (since it's already in stores). Of course, Apple could sell out, which would mean people ordering later may have a wait.

The stores expected to have it in stock that day are Apple Stores, AT&T, Verizon, Walmart, and Best Buy

http://www.gizmocrunch.com/apple/575...ase-date-price
http://www.product-reviews.net/2011/...ate-confirmed/
Old 03-07-11, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took my iPad into the Apple store over the weekend to get 3G radio problems sorted out. Ended up leaving 15 minutes later with a new (well, refurbed) unit. This is why I like Apple! The new unit is better than my old one. Screen backlight is much better and more balanced. No cosmetic flaws at all. Just like new! Best of all I now have a working 3G radio again...

Last edited by Nausicaa; 03-07-11 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-07-11, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess they didn't have preorders this time to create more buzz. Yeah I said it.

With preorders, delivering the same day that they are available in store, a lot of people would go that way.

If you have to order online the same day is available in stores, and wait a few days for your iPad, a lot more people would prefer to go to the stores. So there are more probabilities of seeing long lines everywhere.

We will see.
Old 03-07-11, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

March 11th is the release date, not the pre-order date (there are no pre-orders for it this time around). The iPad 2 will be in stores starting at 5pm that day (presumably to allow time for last-minute deliveries to stores).

You should be able to order online starting at 12:01am PST that morning, and it should start shipping that day (since it's already in stores). Of course, Apple could sell out, which would mean people ordering later may have a wait.

The stores expected to have it in stock that day are Apple Stores, AT&T, Verizon, Walmart, and Best Buy

http://www.gizmocrunch.com/apple/575...ase-date-price
http://www.product-reviews.net/2011/...ate-confirmed/
Thanks man. I assume the Apple store charges tax?
Old 03-07-11, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 600 Likes on 484 Posts

If they have a presence in your state then yes, and I'm pretty sure that's almost everywhere. (Anyone from Wyoming care to chime in?)
Old 03-08-11, 03:44 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

my god can this thing pick up fingerprints / smudges.

shoulda grabbed a screen protector on initial purchase.

Last edited by HN; 03-08-11 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-08-11, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

I am thinking of picking up a 16gb wifi on Friday. I have two Apple stores in town but I am not sure if I should order it online, go to the store or just try Target or Best Buy.
Old 03-08-11, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by HN View Post

It does, but I've found that in most situations, once the screen is on they are not noticeable at all. But once that screen goes black...

I'm always worried screen protectors are going to dull the image and color, so I never bother.
Old 03-08-11, 04:25 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For those who bought new ones (ipad 1), did it come with a cleaning cloth? My refurb macbook did but the refurb ipad did not.
Old 03-08-11, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

For those who bought new ones (ipad 1), did it come with a cleaning cloth? My refurb macbook did but the refurb ipad did not.
Don't remember -- but the iKlear cloths + cleaner spray kit was the best purchase ever -- it has lasted me for 7~8 years now. Works much better with my eyeglasses than the cloth that came with them as well. Very, very highly recommended -- I use it on HDTV, monitors, iDevices, etc.

I would absolutely not ever stick some screen protector film on top of your iPad -- that just seems way worse than any possible fingerprints...
Old 03-08-11, 04:55 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

alright. yous two talked me out of screen protector.

i'll look into the iklear products. maybe an excuse to go to fry's
Old 03-08-11, 05:27 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just use a washcloth-size microfiber cloth we got from Costco. Works great, don't need to apply any cleaner spray.
Old 03-08-11, 09:12 PM

By the way, anyone know of a battery monitor app for the iPad? Specifically, I want a clock showing time since the last full charge. It sucks, the iPhone displays this info, the 'Usage' pane in iPad settings just shows 3g data usage.
Old 03-09-11, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ios 4.3 is out
but meh, i dont see anything all that useful in its feature list

This version of iOS brings a number of new features for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch users including: ability to to cancel the download of an app, multitouch gestures for iPad (for developers only), Personal Hotspot for GSM iPhone 4, AirPlay for third party apps, option of choosing between mute switch and rotation lock for iPad’s “Side Switch” hardware button, subscription-based payments to iTunes App Store, Nitro JavaScript engine from Safari on OS X, new iTunes Home Sharing features, support for FaceTime on iPad 2, Photo Booth for iPad 2 and other system wide changes and improvements.
making the side button into a mute switch did annoy me.. so good to get the option now to tun it back to rotation lock.. but hardly worth the ios update.
Old 03-09-11, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 687 Likes on 440 Posts

Airplay for 3rd party apps has me stoked. I couldn't believe it when I realized that didn't work for everything with my AppleTV.
Old 03-09-11, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

not supposed to affect jailbreak
but you go ahead and update and verify for me
kthxbye
Old 03-09-11, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What's the point? So then fingerprints are on the screen protector. Waste of money and degrades the screen quality.
Old 03-09-11, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Airplay for 3rd party apps has me stoked. I couldn't believe it when I realized that didn't work for everything with my AppleTV.
That's the thing that caught my eye too.
Old 03-09-11, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by twikoff View Post
ios 4.3 is out
but meh, i dont see anything all that useful in its feature list

making the side button into a mute switch did annoy me.. so good to get the option now to tun it back to rotation lock.. but hardly worth the ios update.
I'm excited for the ability to stream music from my computers directly to my iPad or iPhone. This is something I've wanted for a while. Glad Apple finally got around to including this obvious feature.
Old 03-09-11, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I am thinking of selling my Gtab ($70 more than I paid) and getting a iPad 1st gen... I would break even in cost.

I love the functionality of Android, but all the things I can do on my Gtab, I can do on my Evo. Any tips as far as jailbreaking goes. Are there game emulators once you jailbreak? What should I know before I jump in?
Old 03-09-11, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by shadowhawk2020 View Post
I am thinking of selling my Gtab and getting a iPad 1st gen... I love the functionality of Android, but all the things I can do on my Gtab, I can do on my Evo.
And what do you think you'll be able to do on an iPad that you can't on your Gtab or EVO?
Old 03-09-11, 02:35 PM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by twikoff View Post
not supposed to affect jailbreak
but you go ahead and update and verify for me
kthxbye
Just updated. Cydia's gone. Not surprised.
Old 03-09-11, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 101 Likes on 55 Posts

And what do you think you'll be able to do on an iPad that you can't on your Gtab or EVO?
I would assume run any of the billions of apps only available on an iPad?

Really, having an android phone, and the iPad, is the best of both worlds. Having 2 android devices (or 2 ios devices) that only differ by their size is pretty redundant.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.