Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Best Anti-Virus software?

Old 10-07-19, 11:35 PM

Re: Best Anti-Virus software?

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
I have Norton now and have no issues but I'm dumbfounded that they require a credit card and auto-renew.
I use Norton and it works fine for me. I usually buy the Deluxe version for around $25 at Amazon. That covers both my home PCs.

You can turn off the Auto Renew. In the past, they've offered me a Free Month to turn it on. So I turn it on, get the free month added to my subscription, then turn it back off.
Old 10-08-19, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For a second opinion, I use McAffe Stinger.

Otherwise I'm constantly running the generic Windows Defender scans all the time on my own directories and some C:/Windows directories.
Old 10-08-19, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nowadays the Windows Defender definitions are updated several times every day. (Sometimes every few hours).

I remember more than a decade ago, the definitions were only updated once a day. Sometimes once every two days.
Old 10-08-19, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks everyone! Appreciate the input!
Old 10-08-19, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

(This is a minor point).

I also avoid watching tv/movies on a web browser. So on Firefox, I don't allow any DRM-controlled content to be played (via windevine) in the tools->options menu.

At most on a web browser, I'll watch silly youtube videos at a lower resolution.

If I'm going to waste bandwidth on a streaming service, I watch it through the cable box which is independent from the data tally on internet usage.
Old 10-08-19, 08:23 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
I use Avast Free on my computer, my wife's computer, and on all of my customer's computers. I've never had any reason to distrust it. -kd5-

Wow, I dropped Avast! when they started adding everything but the kitchen sink in their antivirus application, turned it into a bloated, resource-hungry piece of crap. We've been using Bitdefender Free for the last few years, unobtrusive, lightweight, we don't even notice it's there. There's no real interface to adjust settings but I really don't much care about that. It just quietly protects our computers, been virus-free for as long as we've used it.
Old 10-08-19, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
Cool malware utility that does not require installation. Thanks for the mention.
Old 10-10-19, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For a third opinion, I occasionally run the open source clamwin. I primarily run it on my personal directories and compressed zip files/archives I download.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ClamWin_Free_Antivirus
Old 10-10-19, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also instead of running the generic win10 task manager for seeing what processes are running, I run an alternate one like process explorer.

Process explorer also lists "virus total" checks for eaching running process, to identify whether each process is known and/or problematic when run through numerous virus scanners (usually around 70 different independent checks).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Process_Explorer
Old 10-11-19, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also in terms of preventantive measures, I always run the mail reader and web browser programs inside a sandbox (such as Sandboxie).

So when I'm done reading email and/or websurfing, I immediately delete all the junk left behind in the sandbox such as temporary files, downloaded junk, etc .... If there's a downloaded file I want to keep, I manually cut and paste it from quarantine to my own directory by hand. (The sandbox quarantine is just another directory).

Also if I'm installing some new software, I first try to install it entirely inside the sandbox to see where and what is being installed. For some software where nobody else is going to use it other than myself, I just copy and paste the relevant files to my own directory and run it on my own user id. (ie. It is not installed system wide). For example, such as C or C++ compilers I use for software development and unix-style utilities.
Old 10-11-19, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In terms of system wide installed software, I only install stuff which other people are using such as the mail reader and the current stable Firefox version. I also set up the mail reader and Firefox stable such that they run inside the sandbox via clicking on an icon. The computer illiterates in my life figured out minimally how to retrieve sandboxed files they download, such as digital photos.

Otherwise I don't really install a lot of software system wide. For example, beta + nightly versions of Firefox and Brave are run from my own personal directories with custom profiles which are not in their "standard" directories.
Old 10-11-19, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The entire point of doing all this for me, is garbage minimization and less confusion.
Old 10-11-19, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^
Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-11-19, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh oh I have to let you know that this program is crap. It leaves behind a process running in the background named "realprotect.exe" and takes resource from the computer. This program was not installed but it installs that pesky process without your consent leaving the user unaware. You need MCPR McAfee tool to remove it.

Old 10-11-19, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Oh oh I have to let you know that this program is crap. It leaves behind a process running in the background named "realprotect.exe" and takes resource from the computer. This program was not installed but it installs that pesky process without your consent leaving the user unaware. You need MCPR McAfee tool to remove it.
I got around this issue by running stinger inside a sandbox. When stinger is finished, I just deleted everything inside the sandbox which includes programs still running inside the sandbox.

Though with that being said, does realprotect.exe keep on respawning itself when it is killed by hand? (This is what happened with the mcaffe antivirus which was pre-installed on my desktop pc by default. I had to use a few manual switcharoos to get it to die completely, without respawning. I didn't use mcpr at the time).
Old 10-11-19, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Though with that being said, does realprotect.exe keep on respawning itself when it is killed by hand?
When killed by hand and computer restarted the process resurfaces. Program does not install yet when deleted the process still runs.
Old 10-11-19, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
When killed by hand and computer restarted the process resurfaces. Program does not install yet when deleted the process still runs.
I took a closer look at what stinger does inside a sandbox (such as Sandboxie).

Even though stinger doesn't install formally, unfortunately it creates two new directories C:/Program Files/stinger and C:/Program Files/McAfee. It dumps some files into "C:/Program Files/McAfee/Real Protect/" which is where realprotect.exe is located.

It also appears to modify the registry HKLM:RunOnce, where at the computer's startup will invoke realprotect.exe. (This information can be found by running ccleaner inside the sandbox, in ccleaner's Tools->Startup->Windows menu).

(Inside Sandboxie, a modified registry is temporarily stored in a dummy copy of the registry which is only used within the confines of the sandbox. After I'm done, I just delete everything inside the sandbox including the temporary dummy registry).

Old 10-12-19, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another way I look at binary files/archives, is using 7-zip to extract the contents of an *.exe file. (Everything is all done inside a sandbox, such as Sandboxie).

It turns out for many installers in the form of *.exe files, it is actually just an archive of files.

For example if you use 7-zip to extract everything inside a Firefox setup installer binary *.exe file, you'll see that it is nothing more than just the files that one would see in "C:/Program FIles/Mozilla Firefox" and a "setup" binary exe which handles the system wide installation.
Old 10-12-19, 01:01 PM

I've used ESET products for 15+ years. Very few issues. Home people with Windows 10... the built in AV is surprisingly good.
Old 10-13-19, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another way to minimize attack vectors, is turning off stuff that isn't used at all.

On my router, I turn off the wifi if nobody is using it. (Also set a hard password on the wifi accounts. The factory default setting was no password).

On my desktop, I turn off all the wireless stuff by hand. Some of this can be done via services.msc or ccleaner (in the Tools->Startup menus).
Old 10-18-19, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
Wow, I dropped Avast! when they started adding everything but the kitchen sink in their antivirus application, turned it into a bloated, resource-hungry piece of crap.
Same here. I'm using Windows Defender and the occasional Malwarebytes run now. Works fine.