Reload this Page >

Blackberry PlayBook - Tablet by RIM

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-27-10, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Just announced at the Blackberry Developer's Conference.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/?IID=rim_playbook_homepage

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/27/r...kberry-tablet/

Today at Research In Motion's developer event, Mike Lazaridis introduced the company's new tablet -- the PlayBook. The device will sport a Cortex A9, 1GHz dual-core CPU, 1GB of RAM, a 7-inch display, webOS-like app switching, an e-reader component, full document editing, and pairing with BlackBerry phones. The device will be capable of 1080p HDMI video and will have HDMI and USB ports, a front and rear HD camera configuration, and will be 9.7mm thick. The PlayBook's interface is based on a platform designed by QNX, just as we'd heard previously, and will be called the BlackBerry Tablet OS. The device will apparently be available in "early 2011," but there was no mention of a retail price.
Official Specifications
7” LCD, 1024 x 600, WSVGA, capacitive touch screen with full multi-touch and gesture support
BlackBerry Tablet OS with support for symmetric multiprocessing
1 GHz dual-core processor
1 GB RAM
Dual HD cameras (3 MP front facing, 5 MP rear facing), supports 1080p HD video recording
Video playback: 1080p HD Video, H.264, MPEG, DivX, WMV
Audio playback: MP3, AAC, WMA
HDMI video output
Wi-Fi – 802.11 a/b/g/n
Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
Connectors: microHDMI, microUSB, charging contacts
Open, flexible application platform with support for WebKit/HTML-5, Adobe Flash Player 10.1, Adobe Mobile AIR, Adobe Reader, POSIX, OpenGL, Java
Ultra thin and portable:
Measures 5.1”x7.6”x0.4” (130mm x 193mm x 10mm)
Weighs less than a pound (approximately 0.9 lb or 400g)
Additional features and specifications of the BlackBerry PlayBook will be shared on or before the date this product is launched in retail outlets.
RIM intends to also offer 3G and 4G models in the future.
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eAaez_4m9mQ?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eAaez_4m9mQ?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I guess they have the time to come up with this since all their smart phones are just constant re-hashes for the last few years. Still, this looks kinda neat and the specs are appealing.

Last edited by fumanstan; 09-27-10 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-27-10, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Blackberry PlayBook - Tablet by RIM

That's actually a pretty slick commercial - very nice!

Showing YT and Flash support.

Odd they'd call it PlayBook since they push the business angle. I think Berry might have been more catchy - plus they could lure others in with nifty berry colors.
Old 09-27-10, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paper launch

For the next 3 months rim programmers will be whipped to work faster and finish coding the software
Old 09-27-10, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

When I heard RIM was making a tablet, I thought it was going to be a "me too" only move with very little impact and it'll die off.

Now I have a better idea of what they're doing, how serious they are and how this is being built up - I can really see them taking a slice of the tablet marketshare.

It was very smart of them to buy up QNX.

I'm very much looking forward to the final product.
Old 09-27-10, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
Paper launch

For the next 3 months rim programmers will be whipped to work faster and finish coding the software
Welcome to 90% of the products in the tech industry. Hell, any industry.
Old 09-28-10, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

At least apple let the press play with ipads when they announced them. Engadget said these things were behind plexiglass which means the software isn't at beta level yet
Old 09-28-10, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There's no idea on price for this yet is there?
Old 09-28-10, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

At least apple let the press play with ipads when they announced them. Engadget said these things were behind plexiglass which means the software isn't at beta level yet
That's fine. It's expected to be out early 2011. Sure if they wanted to cripple it they could release it earlier, but this looks like it'll be a quality tablet built from the ground up basically. Quality takes time. RIM bought QNX in April, but you can bet they were working with them for a lot longer than that with the intention of using the QNX kernel in the tablet. No use showing off something that isn't quite ready yet.
Old 09-28-10, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
There's no idea on price for this yet is there?
These lead me to believe that it is only slightly further ahead than the HP Slate is. Why did RIM feel the need to announce now, rather than wait a few weeks until the software firmed up and price could be established? (maybe it would take more than a few weeks?)
Old 09-28-10, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

the release is 2011 along with the next version iPad. RIM is trying to get some mind share
Old 09-28-10, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Meanwhile, Apple has rolled out iPads to ALL Best Buys to get ready for the holiday season. Innovating pays off.
Old 09-28-10, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sorry, what did Apple innovate?

I have an iPhone and a Apple computer. I'll be the first to admit that the iPhone was a very innovative and revolutionary product that pushed phones in a new direction. Likewise I'll even say that the iPod did the same for music. However, I don't think you can go there yet for the iPad. In it's current state it's a half baked product with limited functionality - much like their computers. The only reason it's viewed is innovative is because of the sales figures.

I'm not saying this Playbook is innovative either, but then again I'm not sure any tablet really will be. I think, as a computer in new form, these devices allow new applications and approaches to computing. Therein lies opportunities for innovation.
Old 09-28-10, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Their computers are half-baked? Uh, OK.

As for the iPad, when you sell millions of units and every major player is desperately trying to copy you, that's called product innovation.
Old 09-28-10, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wasn't trying to imply that the computers are necessarily half baked as much as they have limited functionality (e.g., limited use as external monitor if at all, no Blu-ray, etc.).

And how is slapping iOS on a tablet innovative? Again, sales figures for form factor to me doesn't say innovative. Besides, you could argue that Apple attempted to follow the UMPC effort pushed by MS and PC manufacturers a few years ago.
Old 09-28-10, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Because they did it. And they sold it. And now everyone is copying it. Their OS is the innovation and something no one can ever seem to catch up to.
Old 09-28-10, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Plus, the iPad is magical. Apple said so.
Old 09-28-10, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Because they did it. And they sold it. And now everyone is copying it. Their OS is the innovation and something no one can ever seem to catch up to.
It wont take long to surpass the OS. The competition just doesn't have their tablets out yet - but we're already seeing some major advantages of what other tablets will be offering, as opposed to the crippled iPad.

I could've purchased an iPad already, but there were just too many things it was lacking to make it worthwhile. Many are in the same boat. The market is still brand new, plenty of time for the competition to catch up with better products. People are making it sound like Apple has the market swen up.

As the expanding Android phone market has shown, it's way too early to count any of the competition out.
Old 09-28-10, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sure. Some may find it "crippled." But just when the competition get around to releasing something, Apple will be unveiling their 2nd generation product. And so it goes.
Old 09-28-10, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Sure. Some may find it "crippled." But just when the competition get around to releasing something, Apple will be unveiling their 2nd generation product. And so it goes.
OK, tell me when the next generation iPad will be available and what features it will have. Is the Samsung Tab not due out soon?
Old 09-28-10, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

feature wise the ipad may not equal netbooks, but it beats them on battery life and comfort in using it on airplanes and on the go.

last decade saw a huge increase in consumers buying laptops which were mostly used for internet and email but people didn't want to be tied to their desks. ipad is more mobile than laptops
Old 09-28-10, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
OK, tell me when the next generation iPad will be available and what features it will have. Is the Samsung Tab not due out soon?
Steve will let you know when Steve is ready.
Old 09-28-10, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It wont take long to surpass the OS. The competition just doesn't have their tablets out yet - but we're already seeing some major advantages of what other tablets will be offering, as opposed to the crippled iPad.
If the iPad is so "crippled" and the iPad is not innovative, then why aren't there any viable competitors out yet? Why did the major competitors totally scrap their tablets in-the-works when the iPad was released? How difficult is it to produce a product that can compete with such useless, overhyped, and crippled device?

You so easily dismiss the iPad as crippled and equally as easily toss in the future "will be" of their offering. How about somebody actually ship something before touting those "advantages"?

I could've purchased an iPad already, but there were just too many things it was lacking to make it worthwhile. Many are in the same boat. The market is still brand new, plenty of time for the competition to catch up with better products. People are making it sound like Apple has the market swen up.
That is oxymoronic. "catch up" with "better" products?! The "market is still brand new"... who do you think CREATED that market? (And if you are referring to tablets in general, that market is NOT new)

At this point in time Apple DOES have the market sewn up. They're the only player at the moment. But I suppose there will continue to be the "oh noes! the iPad is the biggest flop since the Newton!"

Before owning an Apple product, I never realized that the anti-Apple Delusion Syndrome was as equally strong as the cult-of-Apple.
Old 09-28-10, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 157 Likes on 94 Posts

How many iPads have been sold? Can't be THAT many.
Old 09-28-10, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jeez, people here are impatient. Can't wait a few months for a tablet?

If you're enjoying your iPad and think there's nothing that's ever going to be released that will be better - then why are you in this thread? Fanboys just can't help but interject that an Apple product is the best - regardless if it's true or not.

There are PLENTY of people who don't own a tablet yet and are waiting for something better. I want something that's not as crippled as the iPad and the Playbook gives me hope that I will be able to buy one. Same with the Samsung Tab - which I'm really looking forward to as well. We will wait and see. It's not like I'm going to profit off any of these companies success anyways.
Old 09-28-10, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
If the iPad is so "crippled" and the iPad is not innovative, then why aren't there any viable competitors out yet? Why did the major competitors totally scrap their tablets in-the-works when the iPad was released? How difficult is it to produce a product that can compete with such useless, overhyped, and crippled device?
Whether the functionality is crippled or the product is innovative or not has absolutely nothing to do with whether there are viable competitors at the time or not.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.