Reload this Page >

Clear Wireless for home Internet

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-12-10, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting a bit pissed at both Comcast and Frontier (was Verizon FiOS) and I'm looking at Clear Wireless as a possible replacement. I live right in the middle of full coverage. Anyone used or heard any horror stories?
Old 09-13-10, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Clear Wireless for home Internet

I signed up for Clear service two weeks ago. After being assured I had coverage by three different reps, it turns out their is no coverage near my home. I had customer service open a ticket and they had a local tech contact me. He informed me I will have coverage as soon as a new site is erected a half mile from where I live. It will be another month before that site is live.

I just wish the coverage maps were accurate as I wouldn't have signed up until that new site is built.
Old 09-14-10, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Re: Clear Wireless for home Internet

It's OK if you have coverage. They do a lot of traffic shaping on non-standard traffic, so if you're using stuff outside of HTTP, E-mail, FTP, and the like, be prepared for poor performance.

Also, be careful of the contract terms. I'd buy the hardware, rather than renting it, and then you don't have to sign a 2-year contract either.