Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Is there a way to auto move data in excel based on data enter in s specific cell?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Is there a way to auto move data in excel based on data enter in s specific cell?

Old 09-08-10, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a real estate company and want to do the following:

Utilize an excel spreadsheet to track our properties.

Create separate tabbed spreadsheets for Active Properties, Under Contract and Sold.

Example of how I want it to work:

Data is entered into Active Properties spreadsheet, once a property goes under contract, I want to enter something like UC in a cell for that specific property and have the data automatically move to the next spreadsheet (Under Contract) and dissapear from Active Properties spreadsheet. This would happen again once the property closes (is sold) and move to the Sold spreadsheet.

Is there a way to do this? Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.
Old 09-08-10, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Is there a way to auto move data in excel based on data enter in s specific cell?

what you are trying to do is called a database and not a spreadsheet. you can do it in Access. very similar concepts as spreadsheets.
Old 09-08-10, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Is there a way to auto move data in excel based on data enter in s specific cell?

You never resolved (for us) your document sharing thread you started regarding your real estate business. What you need for your business is an online application that does everything you need. You are trying to run and gun everything by the looks of it. If you want to seriously discuss your options then PM me and I will be willing to help you out, it's what I do.
Old 09-09-10, 01:38 PM

There is a much simpler way to do what you want, in excel. Don't use separate tabs, just put everything in one tab.

Add a column called "status" or whatever. In status, you will fill in your various statuses, like UC, or AC (Active) or whatever you want.

Now, look in the filtering (autofilter) options of excel. It is a mechanism that basically (similar to a database, but in excel) allows you to filter down what data you want to show. Say, you want to see only the listings that are Under Contract, then turn on the filter (it will create a little 'down' arrow on the Status cell), and select using the down arrow just the UC. Now, the only listings you will see are the UC. Removing the filter will show all listings again.

Sounds maybe complicated, but once you used it once or twice, you'll see that it is very easy.