Reload this Page >

Intel Rapid Storage Technology: slow??

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-26-10, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I bought a new computer with an MSI P55A-G55 motherboard (http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=pr...0&prod_no=2078). This motherboard comes with firmware RAID from Intel, these days called "Intel Rapid Storage Technology". This is not a new flavor of RAID, it is the traditional RAID levels. This motherboard supports RAID0, 1, 5 or 10.

Now, I find this "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" thingy quite slow. I realize I am building a rather big RAID volume (RAID5, over 5 disks each 2TB for a usable size of about 7.5 TB).

At current speed, I think building the raid will take about 4 days. I have no idea yet about the performance yet, because the RAID built is not complete yet.

Does anyone have any experience with Inter Rapid Storage Technology? Is 4 days what I should be expecting, just to build the RAID5 across my disks?
Old 08-27-10, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Re: Intel Rapid Storage Technology: slow??

There's no standard amount of time. It all depends on the hardware and the disks. If the harddrives are 5400 RPM instead of 7200 RPM, that could significantly impact build time, for example.
Old 08-27-10, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you want performance, you're better off getting a dedicated RAID controller card with cache to help performance.
Old 08-29-10, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by zuffy View Post
If you want performance, you're better off getting a dedicated RAID controller card with cache to help performance.
I agree. Now that the initializing is finished, I must admit, I am VERY impressed with the read spead (400M/s) but extremely disappointed with the write speed (10M/s).

Considering my motherboard, would you be able to suggest any dedicated RAID card? I need 5 ports as I have 5 disks. Ideally, I'd like to spend no more than $200.

Thanks!