Ignoring Gateway Win XP recovery partition...and Win 7 install

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-22-10, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

My wife has a Gateway laptop with XP installed from the factory. It has a 60 gig HD with a 5 gig recovery partition.

I am going to do a full install of Win XP on her computer - and normally when I do this, I will delete the recovery partition as well before installation - however this time, I just had Win XP install over c: - and left the recovery partition alone.

There won't be any weird, random conflict now that windows 7 is installed but the recovery partition houses a winxp recovery - will there?

I suppose that the partition only contains an image when needed for recovery, so unless I purposely want to use the recovery option (which would re-install XP, obviously), it should never even get in the way...

Right?

Thanks in advance,

Matt!
Old 08-22-10, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Ignoring Gateway Win XP recovery partition...and Win 7 install

Originally Posted by KillerQ View Post
Hey all,

My wife has a Gateway laptop with XP installed from the factory. It has a 60 gig HD with a 5 gig recovery partition.

I am going to do a full install of Win XP on her computer - and normally when I do this, I will delete the recovery partition as well before installation - however this time, I just had Win XP install over c: - and left the recovery partition alone.

There won't be any weird, random conflict now that windows 7 is installed but the recovery partition houses a winxp recovery - will there?

I suppose that the partition only contains an image when needed for recovery, so unless I purposely want to use the recovery option (which would re-install XP, obviously), it should never even get in the way...

Right?

Thanks in advance,

Matt!
I wouldn't think it would be any harm, other than wasted space.
Old 08-23-10, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Re: Ignoring Gateway Win XP recovery partition...and Win 7 install

you should be fine. the recovery partition will allow you to install what was originally on there, but shouldn't affect anything if you install windows.