Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Deleting older versions of Net Framework?

Old 08-20-10, 10:33 PM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Deleting older versions of Net Framework?

I have a Dell Mini (8gb hard drive) that is filled up and I keep getting low disc warning. I am wondering if it's safe to delete the 2.0 version.
Old 08-20-10, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Deleting older versions of Net Framework?

That's a really old version of Java. Do you need Java? Could get rid of that, too.

Some programs use Java and Framework so you have to find out if you have those programs. For example, openoffice uses Java, paint.net uses net framework, etc.

What OS are you using?

Also could try using crapcleaner to clear out some browsing cache and temp files.
Old 08-20-10, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Found this:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...e-30942d4c3268
.NET Framework 3.5 SP1 includes .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2. This means that .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 cannot be removed because they are the prerequisite of .NET Framework 3.5 SP1. If you have any application based on .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, please leave .NET 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 on your machine.
So .NET 3.0 needs .NET 2.0 installed in order to work. It looks like each subsequent version builds on top of the previous version, and isn't a standalone framework.

If you have multiple versions of Java though, you can uninstall the older ones. Java 6 is on update 21 at the moment.
Old 08-21-10, 03:47 PM
DAC

It's a mini 9 netbook with WinXP. Ok, got rid of older java files and ran ccleaner. I now have 200 mb free on my 8Gb drive.
Old 08-21-10, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You could also remove the backup folders for all the hotfixes applied to Windows. You lose the ability to uninstall a hotfix, but typically you'd only do that if you notice a problem a few days after it's been installed, so removing backups for the hotfixes applied 3 months ago or older can free up a lot of space.

Here's instructions, as well as a utility that does it for you:
http://www.tech-pro.net/how-to-remov...l-folders.html

Last edited by Jay G.; 08-21-10 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-21-10, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, install and run WinDirStat so you can see what files/folders are hogging most of the space:
http://windirstat.info/
Old 08-21-10, 06:33 PM
DAC

I'll give that a try Jay.

The funny thing is, I had 500mb free earlier and now it's down to 54kb. I didn't install anything. If nothing else, I requested the install cd's from Dell so I can do a complete reformat.
Old 08-22-10, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DAC View Post
The funny thing is, I had 500mb free earlier and now it's down to 54kb. I didn't install anything.
It sounds like there's a program running amok on your PC. It could be malware, or a program with a really bad bug, filling up drive space.

WinDirStat would be good to see what is taking up a lot of space on your drive; if it's a program run amok, it's probably writing to a specific folder.

Also, you can try emptying your recycle bin. Deleting a file doesn't free up space until it's been removed from the recycle bin, although windows will remove stuff from the recycle bin automatically as space is needed, starting with the oldest deletions first.
Old 08-22-10, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
It sounds like there's a program running amok on your PC. It could be malware, or a program with a really bad bug, filling up drive space.

WinDirStat would be good to see what is taking up a lot of space on your drive; if it's a program run amok, it's probably writing to a specific folder.

Also, you can try emptying your recycle bin. Deleting a file doesn't free up space until it's been removed from the recycle bin, although windows will remove stuff from the recycle bin automatically as space is needed, starting with the oldest deletions first.

Also, what kind of settings do you have for your page file? Is it allowed to extend itself, or do you have it set for a custom size with min and max being the same?

How about system recovery? How do you have it set?
Old 08-23-10, 09:13 PM
DAC

I ran WinDirStat and found that dropbox was using up almost a gig. I thought that was stored in the cloud, guess not. I uninstalled and deleted those files and that seemed to help. As for system recovery - it's off. Page file -
Old 08-23-10, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DAC View Post
I ran WinDirStat and found that dropbox was using up almost a gig. I thought that was stored in the cloud, guess not.
They're both in the cloud and on the harddrive, although deleting them from the harddrive may have removed them from the cloud, or maybe not.

Page file -
It's what Windows uses in conjunction with RAM for the virtual memory.

Here's how to check it and/or resize it:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

Here's what it does:
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php
Old 08-24-10, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And how much ram do you have? Could also turn off hibernation mode.
Old 08-24-10, 11:39 PM
DAC

2GB RAM, page file set at 300mb