Need advice- Set up NAS or Server for access over Internet

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-18-10, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a real estate company and need to accomplish the following:

Store documents in one place and provide access to office staff and agents inside and outside the office.

Prevent and/or limit access to certain folders containing private information.

Have the ability to access/create/edit/save files & folders while accessing outside office.

I need a recommendation (or two) as to how to best accomplish this. I have used a NAS unit from Buffalo in the past and that worked great within the office but I could never get it to be accessible outside the office. I am in a quandary as to how to make this happen. Browser based access to files/folders is cumbersome as is FTP. I'd really like to have a mapped drive (letter) on each of the computers to make it easy to work on files wherever we may be.

Is a server set up with VPN access the way to go? If so, can I use a standard off the shelf PC and add the capability? I've never used VPN so I have limited knowledge as to how it actually works.

Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Old 08-19-10, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Need advice- Set up NAS or Server for access over Internet

You could use VPN and such, but best performance would probably be using remote desktop type stuff like logmein.com. Unless your people in the office are on laptops that they take with them.
Old 08-20-10, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Mapped drives are not the best way to facilitate mobile employees unless you have a system to push logon scripts and such. How many people are in the organization? Are you looking to home bake this or send money on a solution?

Why not go to a web based solution. Email and documents on a secure web server.
Old 08-20-10, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have a requirement to actually OWN the hardware these files are on?

If not, then maybe just buying the service is a way to go

Something like this?

http://www.filesanywhere.com/

There are many to choose from. It would also be possible to buy server hosting with something like SharPoint that can also accomplish what you want.

I understand if you want to own it. I would not use Google docs for that exact reason However, you can probably get a more serious (read pay service) online file share to sign an agreement with you protecting the contents of the data.

If you need to own and operate it for whatever reason

Working on items while 'outside' the office is really a function of your firewall. If your firewall does not have direct VPN support, then time to upgrade

Last edited by 4KRG; 08-21-10 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-20-10, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Google apps
Old 08-21-10, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've tried Zumodrive and it has a problem syncing all of the PCs so that everyone can see files uploaded by others. It seemed to be just what we needed until that started happening. Support is the suck with them so I'm looking for another solution. Dropbox is pretty much the same. I really don't want to sync PCs, I'd like to basically have an on-line hard drive that multiple users can access at the same time and create/edit/save files. It would be GREAT to be able to set folder permissions so that some users could not access certain folders but it's not a deal killer.

I currently have 10 people who would need access inside and outside of the office via wireless laptops. I want a solution that gives us a mappable drive letter to make it easy for all involved as they can simply drag and drop files and have the familiarity of using it like it was just another drive.

I'm not savvy enough anymore to create it all myself if that involves tweaking routers and such. I have no problem buying the hardware (have no idea what I would need) but don't want to buy some cheap-ass server from a local PC company and pay a ton of money for it either. Can you buy server space on-line and do what I want? If so, who's reputable and what would I need?

I'd like an all on-line solution as this would also serve as a safety net (backup) if something ever happened to our building, fire, hurricane, etc.

I also don't want to use a service like logmein.

Thanks for helping me with this!
Old 08-21-10, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sonicflood View Post
I want a solution that gives us a mappable drive letter
You really don't want this.

Have you ever used Microsoft SharePoint?

This is a tool that is designed to do what you want (share documents between people with some control).

You can buy a 'hosted' solution

http://www.rackspace.com/apps/file_s...ed_sharepoint/

Which means you don't have any hardware to worry about, you buy the use of the sharepoint site and they take care of everything (except maybe training your people).

BTW - Zumodrive is not quite what I was talking about in my earlier post

look at this link

http://www.filesanywhere.com/

it is different from Zumodrive in that Zumo was never designed for collaboration.

one thing in my link that stands out is this quote

"WebFolder Drive Mapping, Direct File Editing"

Which seems to be the method you would prefer, a drive mapping...