Reload this Page >

iTunes 9.2 = iPod killer?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-17-10, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I downloaded the latest version of iTunes yesterday to my computer. I'd never had any issues with iTunes in the 18 months I've had an iPod (classic 120gb). However, the first time I connect my iPod to iTunes after the update, my iPod won't sync and iTunes just keeps crashing. I restored the iPod to factory settings killing all the music on it (I have it all on an external), but it didn't work. Then I find this thread on Apple's website: http://discussions.apple.com/thread....t=660&tstart=0

I tried to contact customer support, but my iPod is not under warranty anymore so I have to pony up for an extended service agreement JUST TO TALK TO SOMEONE IN CUSTOMER SUPPORT.

I'm in the process of downloading an older version of iTunes to see if that will fix the problem. I'm hopping my iPod isn't totally dead.

My questions (yes there are two) to you are: 1. has anyone had success contacting Apple costumer support after the warranty on your iPod is over and 2. is there anyway of pulling my playlists from the library file for iTunes. I saved the file but Itunes 8 won't recognize it since it was produced by iTunes 9.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-17-10, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: iTunes 9.2 = iPod killer?

Have you tried to upgrade the iPod firmware?
Old 07-17-10, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 78 Posts

Hard Reboot of the iPod?
Old 07-17-10, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did both of these. No dice. However, I uninstalled iTunes 9.2 and reinstalled iTunes 9.0 and that seemed to work. Just in case anyone ever finds this thread and is wondering I found instructions on how to recreate my iTunes library here.
Old 07-21-10, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 185 Likes on 133 Posts

I can't sync on iTunes 9.2 either. It keeps saying it is, but no apps or music I bought or downloaded are being transferred.

What a joke.
Old 07-21-10, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm getting real tired of Apples nearly weekly updates of iTunes - takes forever to install because it's such incredible bloatware, the changes are usually nothing which can be seen or appreciated. Why can't they just get it working correctly and leave it alone for 4 or 6 months?! And people wait in lines all night to buy products from this company?! If I did not have an iPhone I would certainly not have iTunes installed! I just started iTunes and of course it again told me about this version 9.2.1 update (I now have 9.2.0.61) - the .61 should give me a clue that this product gets updated TOO OFTEN, eh!
Old 07-21-10, 08:10 AM
Banned

This is the part where Steve Jobs comes in and tells you that you have to cut him some slack because their products in the past have been perfect! And that this is the media blowing things out of proportion!

Seriously, Jobs and Apple need to take a step back and look at what made them successful It certainly wasn't releasing faulty iPhones and bloated software. Slowly, but surely, they are becoming a clone of Bill Gates and Microsoft.
Old 07-21-10, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Is everyone having problems using Windows?
Old 07-21-10, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ It sounds like it from what I can tell.

Granted, iTunes can be a major PITA with it's quirky behavior from time to time (anyone else get that podcast playtime "not available" glitch after syncing recenetly?), but it runs remarkably better in OSX than in Windows. At least that's my experience... I run it on all my PCs and Macs and it's always been bloated and somewhat sloppier in Windows.
Old 07-21-10, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by notkevinbacon View Post
anyone else get that podcast playtime "not available" glitch after syncing recenetly?
I've had this glitch on my iPad ever since I got it, and it's annoying. When it's not available, I can't scan forward or backwards through the podcast with the slider.
Old 07-22-10, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 463 Posts

Works fine for me on my iPhone4 and iPod Video.