Reload this Page >

God how I despise Itunes

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

God how I despise Itunes

Old 07-14-10, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
God how I despise Itunes

So I have my Ipod Touch hooked up through my stereo for Pandora. I wanted to get Slacker radio, but it tells me I need to update my system software. I'm running 2.2.1 I'd been putting that off because I don't want to pay for it but I finally figured what the hell. So I plug my Ipod in and Itunes opens and it tells me I need to update my Ipod software. I click on update and it tells me I need to update Itunes first. Okayyyyy, then they lump in Quicktime and try to get me with Safari too. Jesus. So I update Itunes and now it has to go through and 'update' my entire music library. An hour later it's finally done. I plug in the Ipod and Itunes now tells me that my Ipod software 2.2.1 is now up to date. WTF! I cant find any way to update to 3 or 4 or whatever I need to run Slacker and now Pandora, since I erased it off my Ipod in order for a clean install on the new software. I've reset my Ipod. I don't want to restore it to a previous point and have to reinstall everything if I don't have to.

Any ideas?
Old 07-14-10, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts
Re: God how I despise Itunes

What version iPod Touch do you have? 1st, 2nd, 3rd generation?
Old 07-14-10, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The first generation is only compatible with iOS 3. The newer ones can run iOS 4. Either way, you should be able to upgrade to at least version 3.1.3. I believe the upgrade to iOS 3 was/is a paid update ($5 or so, I think). Is there a button to click or a popup about a paid upgrade?
Old 07-14-10, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

On the itunes installer, it is lame of Apple to add QT and Safari with Itunes.

However, there is an easy way to install iTunes. Download the installer, then use something like 7-Zip to EXTRACT the .exe file, you will see a bunch of MSIs, one msi for itunes. Just install that msi. Heck, you can silently install it with a batch file with something like itunes.msi /passive

edit: oh yeah, forgot itunes requires QT, but you can install the itunes msi as long as qt is already installed or if you already have quicktime alternative.

Last edited by Ranger; 07-15-10 at 12:03 AM.
Old 07-15-10, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also find the speed of Itunes to be quite lacking (what would have been the most frustrating part of your experience to me). I think it may be a windows thing. Itunes seems to run silky smooth on Macs.
Old 07-15-10, 10:33 AM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

All of those features work fine if you operate them right handed.
Old 07-15-10, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not a fan of bloatware itunes either but I use windows which is a big part of that reason. Programs like Mediamonkey are way superior for what I want. I suggest dumping itunes and trying that if you haven't yet.
Old 07-15-10, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
I also find the speed of Itunes to be quite lacking (what would have been the most frustrating part of your experience to me). I think it may be a windows thing. Itunes seems to run silky smooth on Macs.

iTunes runs fine on my new core i5 4gb ram lenovo
Old 07-15-10, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
iTunes runs fine on my new core i5 4gb ram lenovo
So, I have to buy a new computer to get media player software to run smoothly? My computer is less than 3 years old. Media Monkey runs super fast on it.
Old 07-15-10, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you click "Check for Update" button in the Summary tab? iTunes doesn't check for updates to the iPod every time it's plugged in.
Old 07-15-10, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 600 Likes on 484 Posts

Agreed that iTunes is entirely too bloated for a media player. Though I have no issues with it on my laptop or desktop, hell it runs well on those $250 Acers computers Best Buy was selling last year, I still don't like it.

It's all part of the Apple conspiracy, convincing people Macs are better since Apple products run better on them...

Last edited by RichC2; 07-15-10 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-15-10, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a fan of itunes either and I always have issue with it on my iMac...
Old 07-16-10, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus View Post
Did you click "Check for Update" button in the Summary tab? iTunes doesn't check for updates to the iPod every time it's plugged in.
Of course. It's not that I'm a computer dummy, this is a problem with Itunes only allowing you to download the latest software, regardless of which generation Ipod you have. It seems silly to not allow 1Geners to download v.3 if v.4 won't work. I guess we're supposed to go out and buy new ones so we can enjoy the apps. I ended up having to download a pirated copy of Version 3 and do a "Forced Restore" through Itunes to get it loaded. That was the only was I could do it and I was actually going to pay for it. At least I got Pandora and Slacker back. Now I just have to reload my entire music Library back onto it.
Old 07-16-10, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's strange. My friend updated his first gen to 3 the other day with no problem. Oh well! Glad you got it going!
Old 01-05-11, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyones iTunes/Quicktime installer just stall after a certain time.....I've tried clicking stop and it just sits there.....anyone know a fix? Thanks OP!
Old 01-05-11, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

I don't have problems with iTunes on my little netbook with a poor old Atom processor.

Whenever I get a notice to upgrade it asks me if I want to upgrade the other stuff, and I just say no.
Old 01-07-11, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Quack View Post
Does anyones iTunes/Quicktime installer just stall after a certain time.....I've tried clicking stop and it just sits there.....anyone know a fix? Thanks OP!
The iTunes installer may launch QuickTime as a sub-installer that needs to be interacted with. Look in your task bar for an additional installer running.
Old 01-07-11, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am brand new to all of this with my iPhone 4 that I got a couple months ago, and I also hated iTunes. I downloaded a program called CopyTrans Control Center and I only use that to add/remove songs and stuff from my iPhone.
Old 01-07-11, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
I don't have problems with iTunes on my little netbook with a poor old Atom processor.

Whenever I get a notice to upgrade it asks me if I want to upgrade the other stuff, and I just say no.
same here. i used it on my netbook. not the fastest by any means, but it works. used it to upload a stock ipsw to an iphone and to sync with said iphone, no problems. don't really use it for anything else though, cuz it is bloated...
Old 01-08-11, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I finally had to remove most of my library from iTunes, because it was so incredibly slow that it was nearly impossible to use. I have over 70,000 files and I guess it just choked iTunes too much (looking around the web, this seems to be a common problem). So now I just keep the songs I want synced with my phone in my library, and have to use other programs for anything else.
Old 01-08-11, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

With large libraries iTunes is very ram hungry
Old 01-08-11, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent L View Post
I am brand new to all of this with my iPhone 4 that I got a couple months ago, and I also hated iTunes. I downloaded a program called CopyTrans Control Center and I only use that to add/remove songs and stuff from my iPhone.
I going to try this. Thanks.
Old 01-08-11, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It is way quicker, and not nearly as slow, trust me. It couldn't be easier to update songs you want on and off your iPhone or whatever with that program.
Old 01-08-11, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That program only transfers stuff between your phone and iTunes, right? It's not a substitute program for iTunes. So it wouldn't solve my problem, I guess.
Old 01-08-11, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

I did have a problem with iTunes, it would not communicate with my ipod when i first got it. would've returned the ipod had i not gotten it free. got it to work with a third party software though.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.