Reload this Page >

Netbook recommendations?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Netbook recommendations?

Old 07-11-10, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 303 Likes on 217 Posts
Netbook recommendations?

My laptop hinge broke and my warranty company won't cover the damages (shocking, really). So, I'm in the market for a new device. Basically, all I'm going to be using it for is internet/email use. My wife will use it 1x a week to access her computer from work and do stuff on there. Considering laptops are still pretty big and heavy, I'm leaning towards the Netbook realm. After doing some research, the HP Mini 311 looks pretty promising to me. It's got a slightly bigger screen and 1366 x 768 screen for a netbook, which will help my wife with her work stuff. I also like the idea of an HDMI output, which only a few of the nicer ones appear to have. Seems like I'm almost going to pay the same as a lower end laptop for a nicer netbook with upgraded features, but the size and portability is a huge plus since it's in my family room and I don't need another huge laptop sitting on the table.

Most of the cheapie netbooks seem like they would do the job, but something about not having the ability to watch most flash/web content without hiccups seems to be a deal breaker due to the lack of processing speed and lack of dedicated graphics.

So, basically I am about to pull the trigger on the HP mini 311, but wanted to get some opinions of people who probably have other netbooks they may like.
Old 07-11-10, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Netbook recommendations?

I have the Gateway EC14D which is very nice and has an optical drive which is rare for a netbook.Mine's 11.6 inches as opposed to the standard 10.1.Course mine weighs about a pound more but at 3 and 1/2 pounds i can handle that.It plays UT and Quake 3 awesome

edit-was a tad pricey at $599(Cdn) though.
Old 07-11-10, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk God

yeah, i'm not looking to spend that much. i'm thinking about $450 tops, but less is better. i guess i'm willing to stretch up to that point if i get something that had good enough specs to warrant spending that money.
Old 07-11-10, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

I love my Asus. I've had it over a year (original Atom processor) and still love it. And would not go back to a laptop. There are several forums for getting the most out of your netbook. I "tweaked" mine and am pleased with the performance. For example, ditching IE and going with Chrome, net surfing is wicked fast!

I did go to the max 2g memory, but truth be told I didn't see a significant performance upgrade. It does seem to boot up more quickly, but that is about it. I have no trouble with Hulu, YouTube and most flash stuff. Again, ditched WMP for some other placers and really no issue.

My biggest recommendation, it make sure and get the 6 cell battery. Having a legit 8 hr usage is sweet and comes in more handy than I would have ever thought. I honesty never had thought that I could take the laptop out for the day without thinking about taking the cord.

No, your not going to do high end gaming or high end video editing. But email/net/Facebook/Office/shopping/iTunes is all great on a little netbook. My only occasional issue is some sites are not as Chrome friendly as others. I might give FF a chance again, but I love Chrome!

I spent less than $250 and got my son a Gateway at Christmas for $220. Same specs as my Asus, but the build doesn't seem quite as good.
Old 07-11-10, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by astrochimp View Post
I have the Gateway EC14D which is very nice and has an optical drive which is rare for a netbook.Mine's 11.6 inches as opposed to the standard 10.1.Course mine weighs about a pound more but at 3 and 1/2 pounds i can handle that.It plays UT and Quake 3 awesome

edit-was a tad pricey at $599(Cdn) though.
That does sound sweet. But I think I'd call that an ultra portable rather than a netbook. I know word play....but I think one basic of a netbook is no optical drive to save on size, weight and battery life.
Old 07-11-10, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk God

I've actually shifted (again) and are thinking I'm leaning towards this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+...book&cp=1&lp=5

Pretty much a netbook specs, but has better processor and is able to handle HD material better. More than I wanted to spend, but I might just splurge.
Old 07-11-10, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got my Asus 1000HE last May, can't recommend it enough. It's a great little machine.
Old 07-11-10, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
I've actually shifted (again) and are thinking I'm leaning towards this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+...book&cp=1&lp=5

Pretty much a netbook specs, but has better processor and is able to handle HD material better. More than I wanted to spend, but I might just splurge.
That is a big powerful computer not to have an optical drive built in. Looks sort of like a tweener...
Old 07-12-10, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk God

I don't really need an optical drive on my laptop.
Old 07-13-10, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had an Acer 10.1" netbook since soon after they came out. It has the 160 GB HD and the atom processor. I replaced the 1 GB of memory with 2 GB and installed Windows 7 Ultimate (it came with XP) along with Office 2007 and it runs very well. I have the 6 cell battery. I don't do a ton of multimedia stuff on it, but works very well and gets used heavily by the entire family. I'll be installing office 2010 on it soon to see how that does.