Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

AT&T 3G Microcell: I Believe!

Old 07-02-10, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

AT&T 3G Microcell: I Believe!

I searched for a thread on this, so please merge if I overlooked it somehow.

My new place has pretty awful AT&T reception. However, I'm an iPhone fan, so I've just been putting up with it. Putting my phone near the window just to get a bar, etc.

Lo and behold, it turns out that AT&T has this Microcell device that plugs into your Internet and basically acts as a mini cellphone tower. Sounded too good to be true. Now I know that people are gonna be bitching that we shouldn't have to pay money to patch up AT&T's shoddy network, and I agree! But that doesn't help me get a signal in my house...

Anyway, bought this thing today, got it all setup, and I'll be damned if it doesn't work great! Used to get no service in the basement and now I have five bars! Just thought I'd share my positive experience. If you're frustrated with reception and don't mind spending some money due to at&t's general crappiness, this thing is awesome...

Last edited by Anubis2005X; 07-02-10 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-02-10, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: AT&T 3G Microcell: I Believe!

I live in NYC. Lately my iPhone gets 5 bars on some subway stations 50 feet underground. It's really annoying
Old 07-02-10, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X View Post
I searched for a thread on this, so please merge if I overlooked it somehow.

My new place has pretty awful AT&T reception. However, I'm an iPhone fan, so I've just been putting up with it. Putting my phone near the window just to get a bar, etc.

Lo and behold, it turns out that AT&T has this Microcell device that plugs into your Internet and basically acts as a mini cellphone tower. Sounded too good to be true. Now I know that people are gonna be bitching that we shouldn't have to pay money to patch up AT&T's shoddy network, and I agree! But that doesn't help me get a signal in my house...

Anyway, bought this thing today, got it all setup, and I'll be damned if it doesn't work great! Used to get no service in the basement and now I have five bars! Just thought I'd share my positive experience. If you're frustrated with reception and don't mind spending some money due to at&t's general crappiness, this thing is awesome...
I don't have ATT, but I've heard about this thing on some tech podcasts. One story was just a couple of weeks ago and I think it said 3G data xmitted via your microcell (aka, your home internet service) will still count towards your ATT data cap, if you have one.
Old 07-02-10, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds interesting... I cant seem to find the cost online, how much did you pay for it and is there additional monthly fees?
Old 07-02-10, 08:06 PM
Premium Member

What kinda price tag are they putting on this thing?

Edit: $149.99, right? (I can't find the cost on the AT&T website, just found this in a pre-release article)
Old 07-02-10, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sprint has a similar item (called an airwave) A lot of people were getting these things free when they complain about getting poor signal in their homes.

The airwave gives better service at home, but it costs $5 extra a month to have phone calls using the device not count towards their anytime minutes. Although most people that got it for free also got Sprint to throw in the $5 fee out.

Edited to say apparently sprints came out in 2008, I didn't know it had been out that long. That reminds me to call to see if I can get one of these things for free.

Last edited by shadowhawk2020; 07-02-10 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-02-10, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah just found the press release... Plus you have to pay an extra 19.99 a month. Fuck them.
Old 07-02-10, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom View Post
Yeah just found the press release... Plus you have to pay an extra 19.99 a month. Fuck them.
No you don't. I just paid the $150 for the device. If you WANT, you can pay $20 a month so that the call minutes you use on the microcell device don't count against your monthly minutes. Seeing as I have tons of rollover minutes, I had no interest in that option...
Old 07-02-10, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wmansir View Post
One story was just a couple of weeks ago and I think it said 3G data xmitted via your microcell (aka, your home internet service) will still count towards your ATT data cap, if you have one.
That's true, but since I'm home, my phone goes to Wifi anyway, not a problem...
Old 07-02-10, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X View Post
No you don't. I just paid the $150 for the device. If you WANT, you can pay $20 a month so that the call minutes you use on the microcell device don't count against your monthly minutes. Seeing as I have tons of rollover minutes, I had no interest in that option...
Awww ok... Hmmm, now this is something I may get. I have a ton of roll over minutes as well, and although my coverage is pretty good here in NYC (much better recently) I have pretty crappy coverage in my apt.
Old 07-02-10, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wmansir View Post
I don't have ATT, but I've heard about this thing on some tech podcasts. One story was just a couple of weeks ago and I think it said 3G data xmitted via your microcell (aka, your home internet service) will still count towards your ATT data cap, if you have one.
If you're at home and you have high-speed internet, you should be connecting your phone to your wifi for data.
Old 07-02-10, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
If you're at home and you have high-speed internet, you should be connecting your phone to your wifi for data.
Unless for someone reason they don't have a wireless router.
Old 07-03-10, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rocketsauce View Post
Unless for someone reason they don't have a wireless router.
If someone has AT&T, wouldn't they already have gotten wifi so they can use internet on their phones at home?

I looked at the AT&T Microcell site:
http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/why/3gmicrocell/

They actually advertise the 3G data as a feature. That's a bit underhanded if they charge for the data, especially now with their no-longer-unlimited data plans.
Old 07-03-10, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it's a great fix for those with terrible reception at their home (I used to until I moved), but AT&T charging customers (read: suckers (their probable words)) $150/mo. plus $20 to not eat up your minutes is outrageous. This should be a one-time flat fee of $50, and nothing more. Charging a customer money to be able to utilize a service they're already paying a monthly fee for is ludicrous.
Old 07-21-10, 08:47 AM

I'm an Alltel customer who will be AT&T after they finish upgrades here, I had looked at getting this mini cell tower once I get service, if service is so-so, as I'm working from home for a company and I setup my office in my basement I currently get 2 bars on my Blackberry in the basement. I saw where some customers got an letter in the mail to get these for free from local AT&T store,(article was on engadget).
Old 07-21-10, 11:57 AM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Might've gotten a free one if you complained enough.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20010330-264.html