Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Windows Update = good, Office Update = ???

Old 02-01-01, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I regularly go to Windows Update and download any critical updates (as I guess everyone should).

But has anyone ever downloaded anything from Office Update? There are various patches, but they might be more trouble than they're worth. After all, my Office 2000 is on SR-1, which itself cured many security holes.

So whatever patches aren't included in SR-1, would I be prudent to install them? (especially since many of my users here aren't particularly careful)

------------------
Professor Frink, Professor Frink, he'll make you laugh and make you think. He likes to run and then the thing with the ... person. Oh boy, that monkey is going to pay.
Old 02-07-01, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just thought I'd ask again. Like I said, there are individual fixes/patches in Office Update that are not included in SR-1. But are they really necessary? As we all know, sometimes these updates are nothing but trouble.

For example, if installing a few more patches results in too much security, and users are not able to open any Outlook attachments at all (regardless of file type), that would be bad.
Old 02-21-01, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 02-21-01, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The only thing I know is to stay away from the Outlook 2000 Email Security Update (I think that is what it is called). This was the update that does not allow the user to access an attachment that could be executed.

While it sounds like a good idea, the list of file extensions that are prohibited is a little restrictive. Plus, you can't access the attachments at all, not even to run a virus scan on an attachment.

I believe there is a SR-2 out for Office 2000 which, among other things, automatically installs this Outlook update, so I've stayed away from that too.

Also, as a side, I've used Windows Update before and it worked fine except when it suggested some updated drivers to download. It took me a couple of hours to troubleshoot BSOD's resulting from this driver upgrade. This was on a Windows 2000 machine.