Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

What is the Philips Acoustic Edge sound card like and how does it compare to the.....

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

What is the Philips Acoustic Edge sound card like and how does it compare to the.....

Old 02-01-01, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

(ran out of space)......Live!5.1 ? I thought the Lives were the best for watching DVDs and ordered one yesterday, but just a few minutes ago I came across a thread in another forum with people talking about how the AE is much better for watching DVDs. Is this true? With either 5.1 speakers or 4.1 speakers like the Klipsch Promedia 400, would the AE really be better than the Live!?
Old 02-02-01, 09:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tha_dvd_man:
(ran out of space)......Live!5.1 ? I thought the Lives were the best for watching DVDs and ordered one yesterday, but just a few minutes ago I came across a thread in another forum with people talking about how the AE is much better for watching DVDs. Is this true? With either 5.1 speakers or 4.1 speakers like the Klipsch Promedia 400, would the AE really be better than the Live!?

If you have 5.1 speakers (like the DTT2500/3500) you won't use the 5.1 from the sound card anyway, you will use the decoder from the DTT so it doesn't matter.
Old 02-04-01, 08:14 PM

Acoustic Edge is awesome.

sblive is also great, but will only output 5.1 to the DT2500/3500 because of the proprietary digital connector they use. The Edge is MUCH more versatile and the feature-set is far more compelling.

for good comparisson, check out this article:

http://www.gamersdepot.com/hardware/...c_edge/001.htm

[edit: typos....OY!!]

[This message has been edited by Crizzar (edited February 04, 2001).]
Old 02-04-01, 11:41 PM

Wait so if I hooked up a 5.1 HT system to a Live! 5.1 I wouldn't get real 5.1 output?
Old 02-05-01, 12:08 AM

well, sort of.

you can't just run coax from the card to an input on your receiver, but it *does* split the signal so you can plug into an analog ready system.

Taken from the sblive 5.1 manual:
"Using Your
Sound Blaster Live!
Platinum
The Sound Blaster Live! Platinum will most undoubtedly give you endless hours of listening
pleasure. The following information and diagrams on the next few pages show how you can
connect to your SB Live! Platinum to optimize your enjoyment.
Playing Games and Music,
and Watching Movies
❑With FourPointSurround Digital speakers from Cambridge SoundWorks, you can experience
crystal clear gaming sequences or music from the Digital DIN connection. If you want an even
more immersive surround experience while watching movies, get the Cambridge
SoundWorks’ DTT3500 5.1 Digital speakers. A minijack- to- DIN cable is bundled with the
speaker set for this connection.
❑Alternatively, you can also connect an analog 5.1 channel speaker system (such as the
DeskTop Theater 5.1 DTT2200 speakers from Cambridge SoundWorks) or even your 6-
channel home theatre speaker system. Besides the Front and Rear outputs, the SB Live! card
has an Analog/ Digital Out jack which allows you to connect to your Center & Subwoofer
channels.
For instructions on how to switch between the analog and digital modes of the Digital/ Analog
jack, see “Switching between analog and digital output modes” on page 3- 4
❑If you have a 5.1 channel speaker system, you can upmix your stereo sources (such as CD
Audio, MP3, WMA, MIDI and Wave) to 5.1 channels by using the Creative Multi Speaker
Surround (CMSS) technology. To upmix, you need to enable the CMSS feature in PlayCenter
2 (player view). See “Creative PlayCenter 2” on page 3- 14.
Watching DVD Movies or
Playing DVD Games
❑To watch DVD movies on your PC, why not get Creative’s PC- DVD kit which comes with a
PC- DVD drive and Encore MPEG2 decoder card? You can connect your Encore Dxr2, Encore
Dxr3 or MPEG2 decoder card to an external Dolby Digital (AC- 3) decoder such as the
DeskTop Theater speaker systems. In this case, disconnect the Sound Blaster Live! card’s Aux
In connector from the decoder card’s Audio Out connector. However, if an external Dolby
Digital (AC- 3) decoder speaker system is not available, this connection is necessary."

I bought an X-gamer last year, hell...I've been a soundblaster fanatic for over 5 years...but if I was buying a new card now, (and I just might ) I'd buy the Acoustic Edge.

[This message has been edited by Crizzar (edited February 04, 2001).]
Old 02-05-01, 04:27 PM

Well thanks for the info. I bought the Live mid last week (only to find out about the AE the day it came), but I just sold it on eBay for almost as much as I paid for it and am going to buy the AE. This'll also be good for me because it comes with PowerDVD 3.0, something I was thinking of getting anyways (which isn't extremely cheap either).
Old 02-05-01, 05:43 PM

you've made a good decision

I'd say head on over to outpost.com where they have it for 89.95...you'd just need to add 10.05 more worth of crap (dvd cleaner?) and free overnight shipping.

think I'll head that way myself.....
Old 02-05-01, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Oh you have to be kidding me! I just picked up the Sound Blaster Live! Platinum 5.1 sound card.

I am getting the Klipsch 4.1 promedia set because I want to use my PC to watch movies and play games on, and now I hear that the sound card that I bought is not the best that is out there. AAHHHH!

So, should I just do the eBay thing and sell the card, or should I stick with it? Is the diffrence all the much?

I got a pretty good deal on the card, like 145 with shipping from buy.com so I am pretty sure that if I put it up on eBay I will get what I paid for it back.

Help!
Old 02-05-01, 08:29 PM

if you're going to get the klipschshchschsh (god, they should really re-name themselves..."klipsch" is so...dumb ), then yes, you'll probably want the Acoustic Edge.

Old 02-05-01, 11:29 PM

tjr2mental- first make a copy of all the software that came with it. Then yes, looks like you should sell it.

Crizzar- that's where I got it. I got two USB-cord extenders to get the free shipping.
Old 02-06-01, 04:22 AM

am i just caught up on the platinum hype? isn't the live drive 2 w/ remote pretty damn cool? i'm gonna buy a sc soon for my antec 48's and would appreciate some advice. thx
Old 02-06-01, 04:23 AM

...??? What cards are you talking about? It has a remote??
Old 02-06-01, 11:47 AM

yes the live platinum 5.1 comes with a remote...but I think of it as a gimmick.

I've read other threads that can't even get the remote to work right *shrugs*

the live drive is also a gimmick in my opinion...honestly, when's the last time you felt the urge to plug in 8 different things that you just NEED to hear through your computer? Is it worth paying another $100 for?

not being a smartass, just trying to point something out.

Like I've mentioned previously, I've been an avid Creative fan for a long time, but their poor driver support, constant repackaging of the same product, and complete lack of innovation is wearing a little thin with me.

Old 02-06-01, 03:41 PM

YAY it was delivered! Can't wait to get back to my room and pop that sucka in.

By the way...where the hell is the Acoustic Edge website? (not the Philips site but the AE site/page) I can't find it for the life of me.....are there new drivers yet?
Old 02-06-01, 04:20 PM

should be on the cd (I would hope), if not, there's a link to drivers from this page:
[edit: *sigh*...link is too friggin long ]

it's a link under the "Get Acrobat Reader" button.

start at http://www.philipsusa.com and on the left side go to pc peripherals>soundcards>Acoustic Edge>more info

[This message has been edited by Crizzar (edited February 06, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Crizzar (edited February 06, 2001).]