iPad
55.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Nook vs iPad: who is the better reader

Old 06-11-10, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nook vs iPad: who is the better reader

I want to get the sigfig one of these devices for his birthday. The primary use would be reading which is why I was looking into the Nook but at the same time the iPad has some decent secondary uses(video, browsing etc.)

If you were a avid reader who has some likings for gadgetry which would you like to receive?
Old 06-11-10, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 482 Likes on 347 Posts
Re: Nook vs iPad: who is the better reader

well, if you are going to be using this outside, the iPad screen will not be as easy to read as the Nook will be. of course you are are also going to be paying a premium for the iPad, but it will do far more than the Nook.
Old 06-11-10, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 854 Likes on 675 Posts

I don't have a Nook, but I'm surprised you're not also considering a Kindle. In any case, there are a ton of resources with all the info comparing them:

http://nooktalk.net/news/ipad-or-nook-the-big-question
(this seems to be a nook site, but he gives his reasons)

http://ipod.about.com/od/ipadcompari...indle-nook.htm

http://www.maclife.com/article/featu...indle_and_nook

As far as available reading material, I can only compare Kindle and ibooks; Kindle does have a lot more books, but then again, there's a Kindle app (though it is a bit crippled) for the ipad anyway. I'd say if it was going to be used to read ebooks 99% of the time, go with a dedicated e-reader for the smaller form factor (the ipad is not gigantic, but it is bigger and can be harder to prop up for a lengthier read), the ability to read outside in direct sunlight (though no backlit screen means you need a light in the dark) and the e-ink screen. The battery life is also much longer on the e-ink ones ,but if you're used to charging stuff like a cell phone every day, I don't think it's that big of an issue.
Old 06-11-10, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reading on my ipad in bright light isnt too bad, but watching movies is a huge pain in the ass... I have had nothing to do with the Nook so I cant comment on it. I do enjoy my ipad as an e-reader and battery life isnt a problem on the iPad at all.
Old 06-11-10, 10:37 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One nice thing about the iPad is having access to the free non-public domain books from both Amazon and B&N (iBooks is lame in that regard). The freebies aren't always the same at the two sites, so if you check regularly you can get a lot of decent books. I'm probably set through next year with free books on the Kindle app and B&N's eReader app. B&N has been having free book Fridays and i've picked up some good ones that way.

I usually read at night in less than optimal light, so the iPad's screen has been perfect for me - much easier for me than a regular book. I've only tried a display Nook at Best Buy and found it very unintuitive to use. I never did get the book I wanted to try to come up. I assume once you get past whatever step I was missing it's easy enough. I like the bigger size of the iPad's screen too - that means less page turning (plus the transition from one page to the next is faster than eInk).
Old 06-12-10, 02:37 AM

Both have their pro's and cons. For simply reading, you might be better off with a nook/kindle - the e-Ink looks great (even outdoors where the iPad fails) and uses very little power (only using it when it's changing pages, so you can read for days on a single charge - I think it's rated at 1 week with wireless on). The iPad you might get 10 hours out of. The kindle also has free wireless (to download books - iPad you need to pay for or use wifi).

Pros of the iPad are that it does so much more, is backlit (kindle you'll need a light for if you plan to read in the dark), lets you use the Apple iBooks store, the Kindle store and other e-book stores (like comic-book stores). It's also color and looks fantastic!

Depending what you need it for, both have pros and cons. I wanted a music/movie player and web browser so the iPad was the obvious choice. If I wanted an e-book reader I can keep with me and read whenever I have a chance (and not need to worry about constantly keeping it charges), the Kindle (or similar) would be the choice.
Old 06-12-10, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just spent months making this decision myself. At first I got a cheaper ereader the Jetbook Lite because I honesty wasn't sure I would want a dedicated reader over my iPod Touch I had been using. The Jetbook was $99 and I figured a safer entry level device. I found that I loved reading on it and it tempted me more to get a better model with a true eink screen like the Sony Reader, Kindle or Nook or to spend the big money on an iPad. I tried out all of them with in store demos and borrowed a Kindle and a Nook from friends for a day to try them out.

First the iPad. If you read at night in bed or a dark room I could see this as an option since the screen is backlit, but I found it too heavy for a reader. It weights a couple of pounds and sitting for hours reading on it would not be something I would want to do. Also, the screen didn't seem bright enough to me to read in sunlight or in a bright room. The biggest thing is the cost. If you were wanting it for the total package I would say the iPad is a good choice, but purely as a reader it isn't as good as the eink options.

Second was the Kindle. I liked it, but did not like the way Amazon has their service set up. First of all they use their own format so you have no option to check out free books in ePub from the library or to buy books from sources outside of Amazon. It also has no option to add extra storage and the battery is sealed which bugs me. Like the iPad if it ever stops holding a charge you are out $100 and have to ship it off for the battery to get changed. Granted this is a minor gripe. It has built in 3G which is nice, but no Wi-fi. Battery life is great and my friend usually gets a week between charges. Screen is great, but I don't like being limited to mostly Amazon for my books.

The device I ended up buying was the nook. It has advantages and disadvantages and I will try to cover them all. First, like the Kindle it has a high contrast eink screen that is very easy to read in full sunlight and in lower indoor light. At night though you will need a reading lamp or book light. The kindle has a keyboard on the bottom to enter text, but the nook uses a color touch screen which gives it a lot of nice options. The touch screen is used for navigation, entering text and can show the book covers in color when you look through your B&N purchased books. Even for books you load yourself it will show the book cover in color next to all the book options like bookmarks, dictionary, font changes, etc. The nook also has wi-fi (it also has free 3G like the Kindle) which makes accessing the store or the simple web browser faster. The downside for the nook is battery life. The wi-fi and touch screen use more power so I have to charge my nook every 3-4 days instead of once a week. The biggest reason I choose the nook was format support. The nook supports eReader DRM and most importantly ePub format. That opens up your buying options to many different sources. There are many places online with free classics in ePub format and you can download free books from your library. This is very nice and something the Kindle can't do. I have been checking out many of the new novels at the library for free instead of paying $10-$15 to buy them. You can also buy ePub books not just at B&N, but also at Sony's books site, Fictionwise and many others so you can take advantage of book deals that might not be offered at B&N. It is very easy to add books you buy or download outside of B&N to the nook with a USB cable and by using Adobe's Digital Editions software and by just dragging and dropping ePubs with no DRM. The nook also has an mp3 player for music or audio books (plus an SD card slot behind the cover to increase storage )and a couple of simple games. With the current free $50 gift card promotion from B&N I found it my best option and after using it for a couple of weeks I love it.

Last edited by darkside; 06-12-10 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-12-10, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I played with a Nook at Best Buy and was very underwhelmed. Seemed sluggish. And the screen is far too small.
Old 06-12-10, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

darkside did a great explanation of the pros and cons. I can't add anything to it. I have an iPad but if I were in the market for an ebook reader, it would be the nook for all of the reasons stated.
Old 06-12-10, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

darkside's post summed it up well. However, I wanted to throw out another voice for one of Sony's ereaders - the daily edition. It just dropped in price to $300, has a user replaceable battery, can expand via SD card or Sony's memory stick, has 3G built in (I turn it off to maximize battery life and turn on to download books), has a touchscreen, and defaults to reading epub books. I prefer using the touchscreen to turn pages over using a dedicated button. It just feels more natural to me. I usually get 10 days or so on a single charge reading 1-2 hours a day. Plus, if Sony quit selling books today, I would still be able to load them on another ereader. I think Supermallett has both, so he might be a resource to PM and ask.
Old 06-12-10, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was considering the Nook as well before I got an iPad. I felt the Nook was sluggish and not as intuitive as I was hoping for. The iPad is great. It's more expensive and not so good in daylight but everything else about really shines. Well worth the price difference to get so many more features than the Nook or Kindle.
Old 06-12-10, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's a vote for the iPad. I find I would rather spend a few more dollars and have the extra capabilities. Reading in direct sunlight is difficult, but in brightly lit room, I have had no problems. As for the weight, it is about the same weight as a hardcover book (1.5/1.6lbs to 1.4/1.5lbs).
Old 06-13-10, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Darkside... Corrie has a kindle and I grab books from all over for her..then use calibre ebook management.. It manages the library, backs it up, and converts any type of ebook to kindle's format
Old 06-13-10, 09:19 PM

Kindle.
Old 06-14-10, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by twikoff View Post
Darkside... Corrie has a kindle and I grab books from all over for her..then use calibre ebook management.. It manages the library, backs it up, and converts any type of ebook to kindle's format
No problem for free unencrypted stuff, but you would have the crack the DRM for anything you bought in ePub at other sources. Some people don't like to hassle with cracking DRM not to mention it is technically illegal. I don't have to worry with that with the Nook, but I admit it is possible to put anything on the Kindle with the right tools and know how. I actually like the Kindle from a pure hardware standpoint. I just wanted support for library ePubs and it was easier with the nook.

I use Calibre as well and highly recommend it for ebook library management for everyone no matter what device they read books with. They have driver support for just about any ebook device you can think of.
Old 06-14-10, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks everyone and especially darkside for the very thorough post! This helps a lot. Right now I'm leaning towards the iPad because of the comics/graphic novel availability. I have recently found out that the sigfig does not require tangible when it comes to his comic reading.
Old 06-14-10, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by squidget View Post
Thanks everyone and especially darkside for the very thorough post! This helps a lot. Right now I'm leaning towards the iPad because of the comics/graphic novel availability. I have recently found out that the sigfig does not require tangible when it comes to his comic reading.
Comics are 100% of the reason why I want an iPad.
Old 06-14-10, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 854 Likes on 675 Posts

This was a major selling point for me as well. Just so you know, though, it's not like there's a store that sells all kinds of comics. There are a few apps where you can buy some specially formatted comics, and there are a few motion comics on iTunes, but none of the really current releases (which is unfortunate, since I'm running out of space for graphic novels and would love a subscription option). If he knows what .cbz files are, though, or likes to scan his own stuff, there are some good options on iPad.
Old 06-15-10, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by xmiyux View Post
Comics are 100% of the reason why I want an iPad.
I totally agree on this. If that is a factor the ipad is the way to go.
Old 06-15-10, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 440 Likes on 349 Posts

I want to get the sigfig one of these devices for his birthday. The primary use would be reading which is why I was looking into the Nook but at the same time the iPad has some decent secondary uses(video, browsing etc.)

If you were a avid reader who has some likings for gadgetry which would you like to receive?
For novels and the like, the nook wins hands down, no questions asked.

For PDF files and Comics, the iPad wins.
Old 06-21-10, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nook has dropped price to $199 now and has offered a wi-fi only version for $149.

Even without these new developments, for reading, the Nook smashes the ipad into oblivion.
Old 06-21-10, 10:08 AM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Why isn't Kindle on the poll?
Old 06-21-10, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker View Post
Nook has dropped price to $199 now and has offered a wi-fi only version for $149.

Even without these new developments, for reading, the Nook smashes the ipad into oblivion.
So is this a nice little price war between the Kindle and the Nook? Honestly, a good price would get me to snag an e-ink reader while saving up for an iPad for my comics and games.
Old 06-21-10, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

I want to buy either a Nook or a Kindle, the thing I can't get over is how much they charge for the books. Not even a TINY price break from just buying the regular print edition for something that is costing them next to nothing.
Old 06-21-10, 03:24 PM
Banned by request

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stp115 View Post
darkside's post summed it up well. However, I wanted to throw out another voice for one of Sony's ereaders - the daily edition. It just dropped in price to $300, has a user replaceable battery, can expand via SD card or Sony's memory stick, has 3G built in (I turn it off to maximize battery life and turn on to download books), has a touchscreen, and defaults to reading epub books. I prefer using the touchscreen to turn pages over using a dedicated button. It just feels more natural to me. I usually get 10 days or so on a single charge reading 1-2 hours a day. Plus, if Sony quit selling books today, I would still be able to load them on another ereader. I think Supermallett has both, so he might be a resource to PM and ask.
I do have both for different things. I have multiple e-reader apps on my iPad but for reading, I always come back to the Sony Daily Edition. It's much easier on the eyes, easier to hold and handle for long periods, much better battery life, and you don't get distracted by the 18 other things the device can do (because it can't, ha!). But for reading comics (and web browsing, video, games, etc.), the iPad is the only way to go.

If the device will be used 80% of the time or more for books, go e-reader (whether you go Nook, Kindle, Sony, something else is a different discussion). If it's more of a 50/50 thing, or even a 60/40 thing, the iPad might be the better buy.

If you do go with an e-reader, I do suggest taking a look at the Daily Edition. It's really well put together, the Sony book store is solid, but even better, you can sideload a ton of content far more easily than you can with the Nook or Kindle.

Last edited by Supermallet; 06-21-10 at 03:26 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.