Nook
44.12%
iPad
55.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Nook vs iPad: who is the better reader

Old 01-04-11, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Nook vs iPad: who is the better reader

Originally Posted by Ted Todorov View Post
??? The NYC murder rate is like 1/6th of what it was during its 1980s peak. Unless Sharon Stone spent the '80s running rampant with an icepick around town, the vast majority of those murders were via firearms.

FWIW, I use my iPad from the beginning to the end of every subway ride (minimum two per day) as do an ever growing number of commuters.
http://www.metro.us/newyork/local/ar...-on-the-subway
Old 01-04-11, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

While the uptick in subway crime is worrisome it is not unexpected -- subway service has been cut in the past year -- fewer trains lead to fewer late night riders, thus less safety in numbers, more crime. Still, warnings about iP____ (fill in the blanks) robberies on the subway have been around since the first iPod. Hasn't stopped ~50% of riders from using at least one such device on their ride...

I'll bet that good old-fashioned chain/purse snatching is still the number one crime.
Old 01-04-11, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by covenant View Post
I've got the money burning a hole in my pocket as we speak. I've been comparing all the Nooks and Kindles all weekend.

I started out just wanting either a plain Nook or Kindle 3, and by all accounts the Kindle wins that comparison. But the Nook Color brings so much more to the table that it may win out in end. I need something to read in a dark room (and I'm tired of supplementary-light-gadgets) and reading from an LCD doesn't bother my eyes. And the ability to read cbr/cbz files in full color on an ereader sounds great.
Does the Nook support cbr/cbz files yet without rooting or do you have to convert to pdfs?
Old 01-04-11, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe you have to convert them with calibre first. Typing this with my nook color btw...

*edit to add*

Just coverted some .cbr files to epub using Calibre with default "nook color" settings and they display flawlessly.

Last edited by covenant; 01-05-11 at 12:36 AM.
Old 01-06-11, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by covenant View Post
I believe you have to convert them with calibre first. Typing this with my nook color btw...

*edit to add*

Just coverted some .cbr files to epub using Calibre with default "nook color" settings and they display flawlessly.
Sounds like I may have to pick up a nook color. I want something light and easy to side load for reading comics (as nice as the iPad is, its a little bulky to curl up in bed and read with and loading files onto it could definitely be easier).

I picked up a Velocity Micro Cruz eReader hoping it would be a cheaper solution (its only $99 this week at Best Buy) but it just sucks so bad I think I'm going to take it back (page turns take about forever).
Old 01-06-11, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory02 View Post
Sounds like I may have to pick up a nook color. I want something light and easy to side load for reading comics (as nice as the iPad is, its a little bulky to curl up in bed and read with and loading files onto it could definitely be easier).

I picked up a Velocity Micro Cruz eReader hoping it would be a cheaper solution (its only $99 this week at Best Buy) but it just sucks so bad I think I'm going to take it back (page turns take about forever).
I picked up a pan digital novel yesterday @ kohl's for $60. Installed custom firmware, activated the android market and installed the free droid comic viewer... Works fine with cbr/cbz files. What reader did you try?
Old 01-07-11, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
I picked up a pan digital novel yesterday @ kohl's for $60. Installed custom firmware, activated the android market and installed the free droid comic viewer... Works fine with cbr/cbz files. What reader did you try?
Droid comic viewer. I was in a hurry to try it out so I didn't do anything with the firmware first.
Old 01-07-11, 03:38 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For those that have the Nook Color, how do you find the screen response time and the response when you change orientation of the device (i.e. portrait to landscape or vice versa)? Also, do only certain apps switch to landscape? When I've tried it in stores a few times I couldn't get some things to switch to landscape. I think magazines worked in the mode, but not books(?). Switching the orientation also seemed inconsistent. Do the Android hacks improve on that? Also, it doesn't have email by default does it? Is that something that will be added in when they go to Android 2.2 which is supposed to be soon?
Old 01-07-11, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jim View Post
For those that have the Nook Color, how do you find the screen response time and the response when you change orientation of the device (i.e. portrait to landscape or vice versa)?
I haven't noticed any unusual sluggishness or lag. Or should I say: no more than my android phone.
Also, do only certain apps switch to landscape? When I've tried it in stores a few times I couldn't get some things to switch to landscape. I think magazines worked in the mode, but not books(?).
The browser can be used in both modes. The books I've seen are locked into portrait mode as well as the comic I tried out. Magazines, like you said work in either mode.
Switching the orientation also seemed inconsistent. Do the Android hacks improve on that? Also, it doesn't have email by default does it? Is that something that will be added in when they go to Android 2.2 which is supposed to be soon?
No email as of yet other than what you can do with the browser. I have no knowledge of the hacks or what Android 2.2 will include.
Old 01-14-11, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I turned my NookColor into a Droid tablet, and I'm loving it. I can still use it as a NC, but having all of these apps makes it a steal at $250.
Old 01-14-11, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mikael79 View Post
Well, I turned my NookColor into a Droid tablet, and I'm loving it. I can still use it as a NC, but having all of these apps makes it a steal at $250.
What apps are you using and liking? I have been pretty disappointed with the Android store for my phone.
Old 01-14-11, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Angry Birds is a must. I also like the Kindle, last.fm, Tuneinradio, gmail, and the ability to really further personalize the NookColor. I just rooted it on Wednesday night, so I'm still playing around with it.
Old 01-21-11, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just rooted mine last night using auto-nooter. Still getting the feel for it. I use Zeam for the launcher and Home Switcher to go back and forth between it and the original NC workspace. Weatherbug and Dolphin Browser, naturally. I tried Aldiko and Moon+ as alternative readers, but neither see books already loaded into the Nook, which is a big drawback to me. I realized while downloading apps that anything requiring GPS, like Google Sky Map won't work. Bummer.
None of the live wallpapers included in the root-install worked but I downloaded Galactic Core and it works like a charm.