55.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Nook vs iPad: who is the better reader

Old 07-29-10, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: Nook vs iPad: who is the better reader

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X View Post
Pre-ordered the $139 version this morning, with gift cards it came out to be $32. I don't need no 3G on this thing...

That is awesome. I agree about not needing the 3G. I like the graphite color as well. I am thinking about getting the case with the light. Now what I think is crazy is that the price difference between the 3G and non 3G on the nook and kindle is 50 and 130 on the iPad.
Old 07-29-10, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the nook seems to be the way to go if you want to load it with books and pdf's that aren't bought straight from them? For instance I have some books I already own that I would like to have as a backup on an e-reader but I don't want to buy it again.
Old 07-29-10, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

you can load those same books on the kindle with calibre
Old 07-29-10, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For a dedicated e-reader Kindle is the way to go. I purchased mine back in January and I absolutely love it. The iPad is nice, but eink is the way to go for a reader.

Most of my books are in PDF and I convert them in Calibre. Very easy program to use.
Old 08-02-10, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

I love the 3g on the kindle simply because if I get in the mood I can order a book and start reading in 30 seconds...and Im a guy who 90% of the time sideloads
Old 08-02-10, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

For a e-reader. if you want to read outside go with the Nook, but any other use get the ipad. I have had mine since launch and love it. I finished reading the Game Changer (about the 2008 election) and no eye strain and it looked great. Loved reading it at night in the dark before going to bed. Comics and magazines look amazing on it and for me thats enough of a reason for getting an Ipad. Plus the fact that you have a variety of sources to get your books you can go by which one has the best prices. You have a kindle app, Barnes and Noble app, Borders app its nice.

plus the amount of things you can do with an ipad it will keep you busy when you arent in the mood to read a book.
Old 08-03-10, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 490 Likes on 390 Posts

Indoor or out, e-ink is still the way to go. The iPad is a nice device overall, but its still, imo, a pain to read on.

Plus it costs about 4x as much now

But yeah, PDF/Comics -> iPad, anything else -> Nook/Kindle
Old 08-03-10, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
some people are OCD and want something right there and then. they can't even wait 20 minutes to find a starbucks with free wifi to download a new book
I heard someone make a good point about the 3G on TWIT. If you are buying the Kindle for a grandma/someone who doesn't have wi-fi, the 3G let's you not worry about them ever having problems downloading books.
Old 08-03-10, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

if they don't have internet, i can understand. otherwise just buy grandma a wireless router for $30
Old 08-03-10, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

if they don't have internet, i can understand. otherwise just buy grandma a wireless router for $30
Maybe you want to drive down to grandma's to unplug and plug in her wireless router when it stops working, but I don't.
Old 08-03-10, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
Maybe you want to drive down to grandma's to unplug and plug in her wireless router when it stops working, but I don't.
This. I have to do enough troubleshooting for my mother on her network... I can only imagine if I had my grandparents on a wifi network as well.
Old 08-03-10, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
i tell my father in law to unplug the router when it loses a connection. for some reason his cheapo trendnet that i bought him loses the connection to the cable modem once a week or so. no big deal. just unplug the power and put it back in. takes all of 2 seconds
Old 08-03-10, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Point #2

Ill pull a Kindle out on the subway, at a bus stop, or in a fast food restaurant but DAMN if im gonna whip out an iPad at 3av/138 St.
Old 08-03-10, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

this is harlem 2010, not back in the 1980s
Old 08-04-10, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Keep telling yourself that. I work for the subway and listen all day to reports over the air of all the shit that's stolen
Old 08-10-10, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just to update this thread - the BF made a side comment about waiting on the new iPad (there was some rumor next year for version with a camera) and I got him something else.

However, for my birthday I bought myself a Nook (wifi version) and I'm quite happy with it. I take it to the gym, when I travel. It's great - I'm reading so many books that I have been putting off.
Old 01-03-11, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone played with the Nook Color, as far as "unlocking" some of it's full potential? I'm thinking about picking one up today, and I've been reading that the device is really starting to shine now.
Old 01-03-11, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yep... 2010 alright...lot more guns
Old 01-03-11, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
yep... 2010 alright...lot more guns
??? The NYC murder rate is like 1/6th of what it was during its 1980s peak. Unless Sharon Stone spent the '80s running rampant with an icepick around town, the vast majority of those murders were via firearms.

FWIW, I use my iPad from the beginning to the end of every subway ride (minimum two per day) as do an ever growing number of commuters.
Old 01-03-11, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Forget NYC, Iowa is the dangerous spot these days. I was once plunked in the head with an ear of corn while listening to my Sony Discman. I still pour out a little of my soybean 40oz, in honor of my dead brain cells.
Old 01-03-11, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikael79 View Post
Has anyone played with the Nook Color, as far as "unlocking" some of it's full potential? I'm thinking about picking one up today, and I've been reading that the device is really starting to shine now.
I've got the money burning a hole in my pocket as we speak. I've been comparing all the Nooks and Kindles all weekend.

I started out just wanting either a plain Nook or Kindle 3, and by all accounts the Kindle wins that comparison. But the Nook Color brings so much more to the table that it may win out in end. I need something to read in a dark room (and I'm tired of supplementary-light-gadgets) and reading from an LCD doesn't bother my eyes. And the ability to read cbr/cbz files in full color on an ereader sounds great.
Old 01-03-11, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I picked one up on my lunch break, and I don't have an ounce of buyer's remorse.

The screen is beautiful, and I love the feel of it in my hands. A color screen is very important to me, as is the ability to browse the web. I downloaded a copy of the latest NME in PDF, and it's very easy to read magazines on the NOOKColor.
Old 01-03-11, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Off to buy one myself!

Crap, they were out, I guess I'll make the trip to B&N tommorrow.

Last edited by covenant; 01-03-11 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-03-11, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My store had quite a few, thankfully. After a full day of playing with it, I'm still really impressed. I know I can't say too much, but I'm looking forward to hacking this puppy and getting all the possibilities unlocked. I'm using it right now to post this.
Old 01-04-11, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

For those of you who bit the bullet and bought a Nook, can you annotate pdf files?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.