Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Help with Cinemaster DVD player

Old 01-31-01, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a Sony laptop with a Neomagic256XL card. The onboard DVD and PowerDVD work just fine, but problems arise when I try to use a Cinemaster player. I installed the Cinemaster 98 codec to get around Macrovision, and the player itself has no name other than 'QI'. The playback is just unwatchable- the picture, sound, everything just stalls nonstop. Like I said, the onboard DVD player works great. Any suggestions?

------------------
Download my epic movie here!
Old 02-01-01, 10:54 PM
Mod Emeritus

It all depends on your system specs. If it isn't fast enough, that could be whats causing your problems.

Cinemaster is in the top 3 Software DVD Players, but it is the worse one of the three (IMO). I think that WinDVD and PowerDVD do a much better job than Cinemaster. Give those a try and see how it goes.

------------------
DVD-ROM & Computer Forum Moderator - [email protected]
DVD-ROM FAQ - Jason's Digital Domain - AIM: northrupjason
Old 02-01-01, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just echoing what Jason said, I had heaps of problems at one stage with Cinemaster but when I switched over to WinDVD, everything was cool.

------------------
Regards...
#Other TEAM 7 Member
Drinker of much Pepsi, trainer of Dingo's and Jack's Aussie Moonshine importer...
John 3:16
Old 02-02-01, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the response guys, and you're right- PowerDVD does work great. The reason I'm trying to use the Cinemaster however is to disable the Macrovision. Any other ways to do this with a non-Cinemaster player?
Old 02-02-01, 07:13 AM

I suggest you get a newer version of Cinemaster. Cinemaster 98 is fairly old at this point, and it had it's share of problems.

You should be able to find copies of Cinemaster 99 or even Cinemaster 2000 that will do a better job on your system.

I agree with some of the other posters though, Cinemaster is not quite as good as PowerDVD or WinDVD.

------------------
Ralph LaBarge
AlphaDVD
[email protected]

Old 02-03-01, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

OK, but I don't believe that the newer Cinemaster version are able to circumvent the Macrovision, or are they? Any more info on that?