Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Recommend a Usb Mp3 Player?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-28-10, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for a usb mp3 player that is ums supported so that I can easily drag and drop files. It can be any size really with a decent battery life. Sound quality doesn't even matter that much to me. ( that is what an ipod is for) I am really looking for a player that I can delete songs off of from the player without it being connected to the computer but I don't think that there are any out there like that. I strictly want to use this device to organize songs on the go so that I can listen to and delete songs if I dont like them without having to delete them back off my computer.

quality usb drag and drop mp3 player.

Thanks So Much
Old 05-29-10, 02:14 AM

Re: Recommend a Usb Mp3 Player?

cowon D2/D2+ or Sansa Clip+ or maybe an old Creative Muvo2.

The Cowon and Sansa are flash based, the Creative used micro drives.
Old 05-29-10, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

+1 on whoever recommended the SanDisk SANSA Clip or Clip+. They're excellent little players with quite good sound quality--pity it doesn't support AAC encoded audio, because otherwise it would have made the Clip or Clip+ a really hot-selling model.
Old 05-29-10, 11:04 AM

Awesome. I have been reading up the ones mentioned and I just wanted to make sure that the newest cowan d2+'s and newest sandisk Clip+'s can delete directly off the player without being connected to the computer so I can organize music on the go. I feel like it is hard to find out information like this by just looking at specs and information. Both of these look like legit players. Maybe some pros and cons of each one verses each other would be great.

Thanks again
Old 07-10-10, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ricecobob View Post
sandisk Clip+'s can delete directly off the player without being connected to the computer so I can organize music on the go.
I have a Sansa Clip+ and, yes, individual music tracks can be deleted without being connected to a computer. I use that feature a lot to delete podcasts after I have listened to them.

When the track is selected for play, just simply click on the menu button and scroll down to "Delete Song", select it and then select "Yes" and it's gone.

(Note can only do it one track at a time though)
Old 07-10-10, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any of the tinny clip on players work easily with iTunes? Or software available that would interact with iTunes?

I'd really like to get a very small clip on player, but I don't want to pay eBay prices for a 2nd generation shuffle. Don't like the current shuffle.
Old 07-10-10, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 146 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Any of the tinny clip on players work easily with iTunes? Or software available that would interact with iTunes?
You can use iTunes Agent to add other mp3 players to iTunes:
http://ita.sourceforge.net/index.html
Old 07-10-10, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Actually after doing a little searching it looks like I can find refurbished 2nd Gen shuffles pretty regularly for $40 shipped. However, I'm having 2nd thoughts. I might get a current gen refurbished Nano. 2.5X price at $100, but 8X memory, video and works with every part of the Nike+ system.

But thanks for the information, I might consider. Just in case.
Old 07-10-10, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a Sansa Clip and I really loved it. The sound was really great too, better than my old iPod 5th generation. It was my gym mp3 plater so the form factor was a plus.
Sadly it just stopped working, after two or so years, and I decided to go with the new iPod Nano since it really is a great deal, so much things for a cheap price. Yeah, the sound is not as good as my Sansa but it also is not as bad as the old iPod. Besides is my gym mp3 player and I have really good earphones
Old 07-11-10, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good information. I'm nixing the Nano off my list. It doesn't have blutooth. Yea, I know Apple will likely never add to their "normal" iPods, but if I'm spending a $100, I want it to take over all uses I'm currently using iPods for. Tho I do have a bluetooth ipod adapter, but that total screws up using regular cases, it gets lose and loses signal, eats up batter, etc.

So now back to a refurbished 2nd Gen shuffle or some other brand of player.

Not in a hurry. I have a Nano now (the little square one). I might try to see if I can find a clip on case for it. I like the 4gig....size in a small package. I was just hoping to find something that would work with all parts of the Nike+ system and have blutooth. Evidently no such animal.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 07-11-10 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-29-10, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I have both a Sansa Clip+ and an iPod Shuffle (a 2nd gen model) and I much prefer the Clip+ over the Shuffle.

The lack of a screen on the Shuffle just sucks, plain and simple. So, for me, the Shuffle is really only good for using for a random mix of songs, which is ok some of the time but not all of the time. (BTW, I know the 3nd gen Shuffle can speak the track name, but I personally prefer a screen for reading the name and other info, like running time and remaining battery life.)

Compare that to the Clip+ which has a small screen to see what's playing and also has a microSD card slot for expanding its capacity (I have an 8GB microSD card in mine now, doubling the capacity of my 8GB Clip+).

Both are roughly the same size (although the Shuffle is thinner than the Clip+) and clip on any clothing very easily. But the extra features of the Clip+ make it my preferred digital player.
Old 07-30-10, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I use a Sansa Clip and love it, especially the ability to delete on the fly (delete a track without being connected to the computer). I mainly listen to podcasts so it's great to be able to delete a track after listening to it.

On the Sansa clip, if the buttons on the front are shaped like a circle, it's the old style which is fine except that it doesnt have an SD card slot. If the buttons form a square it's the new generation. Also, check out buy.com's prices on the Clips. Here is the 2GB version (old stye), refurbished for $19.99 shipped.
http://www.buy.com/prod/sandisk-sans...215887630.html

Last edited by Heat; 07-30-10 at 12:43 AM.
Old 07-30-10, 02:28 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We've had a few of the Sansa e200 series players in the family and they've all been great. Recently we had to replace one that got damaged and no longer works. We bought a 8GB Sansa Fuze for $45 and absolutely love it!!! They come on sale frequently online and even for great bargains at the daily deal sites such as Pennywise and Shnoop. Just keep an eye out for them.

They do have the drag and drop (that's how I like to manage my music on the players as well), they play video, have an FM tuner, a recorder, and even a Micro SDHC expansion slot.
Old 07-30-10, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Great information. I may go pick up a Sena and try the iTunes Agent.

Apple is out of their refurbed 2nd Gen shuffle. And I like the idea of a little more memory. I also like 1/2 the price.

I'm certainly not married to Apple products. But I don't want two different music management systems. So if I can make it work with iTunes, that would be idea.
Old 07-30-10, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So I've been researching those Clip 2's by Sandisk. What is the deal with those little cards that have a 1,000 songs on them??? Is there a way to find the list of songs? Looks like the most expensive one is $40. Seems like a good deal for a 1,000 songs. If those songs are any good.

What caught my eye was they had a health/fitness/workout one....
Old 07-30-10, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Heat View Post
I use a Sansa Clip and love it, especially the ability to delete on the fly (delete a track without being connected to the computer). I mainly listen to podcasts so it's great to be able to delete a track after listening to it.

On the Sansa clip, if the buttons on the front are shaped like a circle, it's the old style which is fine except that it doesnt have an SD card slot. If the buttons form a square it's the new generation. Also, check out buy.com's prices on the Clips. Here is the 2GB version (old stye), refurbished for $19.99 shipped.
http://www.buy.com/prod/sandisk-sans...215887630.html
Just ordered one from Newegg for $15 shipped w/coupon code SANDISK727A

Was debating on a brand new one but crap for $15 it will be a nice "try it out thing".

BTW, I did some surfing and these little guys just get fantastic reviews.

(oh credit to slickdeals for the deal/coupon code)
Old 07-31-10, 01:45 PM
lxl

Sansa Clip 8G from walmart was the best $50 I spent on mp3 players.
Old 07-31-10, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

... What is the deal with those little cards that have a 1,000 songs on them??? Is there a way to find the list of songs?...
http://slotradio.com/ Looks like it is a miniSD card with 1,000 songs for $40. I couldn't find any specs such as compression ratio, an actual list of songs, etc.

For you it's a moot point since you wouldn't be able to use this in your 1st generation Sansa Clip (the one you just bought).
Old 07-31-10, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Heat View Post
http://slotradio.com/ Looks like it is a miniSD card with 1,000 songs for $40. I couldn't find any specs such as compression ratio, an actual list of songs, etc.

For you it's a moot point since you wouldn't be able to use this in your 1st generation Sansa Clip (the one you just bought).
Yea, I found those miniSD's preloaded when I thought I was going to get a new current generation one. Now that I got an original, I know can't be used...well if I really like the little guy, I can upgrade.

edit: I went and looked at those little Clip's at Best Buy...damn they are small. Very cool. I'm actually excited about getting it. And if I can get it to work well with iTunes, I'd consider getting a new 4gig model.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 08-01-10 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-04-10, 08:30 AM

The IOPS brand players are strictly USB and look like a USB drive when you connect them to your computer. You may also deleted song files from the player itself with no computer connection.
I recommend getting the F5 or X5 models but most IOPS mp3 players have this functionality.
Old 08-04-10, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Got my refurbished clip. Very small. Very nice display.

Having trouble figuring out how to get music on it. I can't seem to get the iTunes Agent to work. I'm sure I don't have the preferences set correctly, but I can't seem to figure out the directions...

edit: well after a FW upgrade and messing a little, I got it to sort of work. For some reason only 29 songs of 166...but I think they are there but can't see them...odd...

Very odd....I know the music is on the player as going thru My Computers I can see there is a 1.2 GB of music on the player. And there are dozens of folders. But on the player I can only see 29 songs. So odd...

Last edited by Sdallnct; 08-04-10 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-04-10, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

OK...wtf....

I skipped all the fancy programs and just opened the player in My Computer and dragged 166 songs from iTunes to the Music folder in the device (Clip). It took about 8 minutes and I can see all 166 songs in the music folder of the Clip on my computer.

But I go to songs on the player itself and there are only 29 songs. I look everywhere on the player and I can't find any more songs. Agghh....I know they are on there.

If I go to My Computer and the folder on the player they are clearly there and it take up 1.15GB, but can't find them anywhere else.

Edit: OK, I figured it out...I think, but I don't know how to fix....

Looking on my computer under My Computer and looking at the music folder in the Clip, 29 of the songs are MPEG LAYER 3 Audio. The rest are MPEG 4 Audio Files. So.....I guessing the player was able to load them all because it is basically a thumb drive but can only play the MPEG Layer 3 Audio files. How do I get the others to work????

Last edited by Sdallnct; 08-04-10 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-05-10, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Looking on my computer under My Computer and looking at the music folder in the Clip, 29 of the songs are MPEG LAYER 3 Audio. The rest are MPEG 4 Audio Files. So.....I guessing the player was able to load them all because it is basically a thumb drive but can only play the MPEG Layer 3 Audio files. How do I get the others to work????
In iTunes, if you right-click on a MP4/AAC track, you can choose "Create MP3 Version."
Old 08-05-10, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

How do I figure out which songs I purchased from iTunes and thus will not convert to MP3?

Well this is becoming more of a pain than I wanted. I had created a playlist for my new player but it won't convert. Evidently the first song on the list cannot be converted, so it won't convert the rest. I'll trying deleting that that song, but I had really hoped that while not totally seemless, it would be pretty easy and in a similar d/l as an Apple device.

Well, what's odd is that it is converting some songs purchased on iTunes, but not all...

Last edited by Sdallnct; 08-05-10 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-05-10, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How do I figure out which songs I purchased from iTunes and thus will not convert to MP3?
The songs you purchased from iTunes should convert to MP3 fine, assuming that you purchased them in the last few years, or upgraded your older music purchases to iTunes Plus tracks.

If you have older iTunes tracks with DRM, iTunes will not give you the option to convert to MP3. For those, there's several workarounds, as detailed in this guide:
http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-Prote...to-a-Plain-MP3

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.