Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Defragmenting and lost hard drive space?

Old 02-03-01, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I went to defragment my computer tonight (which it would never do fully, until I saw a tip about disabling the screensaver) and something odd and frustrating happened. Before I started, I had about 5+ gigs free on my hard drive. Then I ran the defrag program and it kept on restarting after a while, so I stopped it. After I did that, my computer had only 3+ gigs free. WTF?! Is my computer crazy or is there a logical explanation for that? It's very frustrating to see all of that space disappear. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
"I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell."
Old 02-03-01, 04:55 AM
Uber Member

Some of the Windows OSs have a bug that causes Explorer to miscount the amount of free space on the hard drive. Running scandisk (and I believe defrag does that for you before it starts defragging) will fix the error.

Also, if you're low on space, check your recycle folder settings. I believe the default is 10% and that's 100 Mbs for every Gig on your HDD.

-David
Old 02-03-01, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for the input. I ran ScanDisk and nothing. Also modified my Recycle Bin's properties. Oh, well. It's not like I needed that 2 gigs.

------------------
Old 02-03-01, 04:34 PM

3 Gigs how do you survive with that little space???

I always thought Scandisk would fix lost space problems.
Old 02-03-01, 04:57 PM
Uber Member

quote:
Originally posted by DJLinus:
Thanks for the input. I ran ScanDisk and nothing. Also modified my Recycle Bin's properties. Oh, well. It's not like I needed that 2 gigs.

Sorry. I wasn't clear.

When Explorer was telling you you had 5 gigs that was the wrong number. You actually only had 3 gigs which the defrag util. corrected when it ran scandisk before beginning to defrag your hdd.

I run into this problem everyonce in awhile with some offsite PCs that are recording digital video. They run continuously and are supposed to start overwriting the oldest files once the disk gets too full. Sometimes the free space reporting error pops up and the program thinks there is more free space than there actually is, keeps recording and fills up the hdd. This generates an error and the program stops running.

At this point, I have to go to the machine and run scandisk (and manually delete about 200mbs of files**) to get things reporting correctly again.

So, to sum up: your PC actually only had 3 gigs, you didn't lose 2 gigs, you never really had it.

Lucky for you, hdds are getting really cheap nowadays so if you need more space $100 will buy you alot of room right now.

-David

**I have to do this so scandisk will run. The hdd is full and most of my machines only have 16mbs of ram.

[This message has been edited by Blade (edited February 03, 2001).]
Old 02-03-01, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Blade - Thanks a lot. That really cleared it up. The "perceived loss" of 3 gigs really irritated me. I've been putting off getting another HD for a while - eventually, they'll be dirt cheap. I need to get one, though, because I mainly (aside from the Internet) use my computer for music creation and the .wav files in all of the loop libraries take up a lot of space. Thanks again.

------------------