Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about NT 4.0 and shared folder/file permissions.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Question about NT 4.0 and shared folder/file permissions.

Old 02-02-01, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If I want to transfer some shared folders and files from from partition to another on the same drive or to a different drive and want to keep the original permissions, do I "move" them or "copy" them? IRRC, one action keeps the original file permissions and the other does not. I don't remember which is which. Can anyone answer this.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 02-02-01, 08:09 PM
Mod Emeritus

If you're talking about different volumes, then you'll see the same result... the permisssions will be inherited. If you do it on the same volume, copy inherits while move keeps the original permissions.

------------------
L.
Old 02-02-01, 08:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dead:
If you're talking about different volumes, then you'll see the same result... the permisssions will be inherited. If you do it on the same volume, copy inherits while move keeps the original permissions.

Dead,
Thanks for the reply.

I'm refering to two seperate partitions on the same drive "C" and "E". I want to move shared folders from "C" to "E" but retain the original permissions to the folders and the files within them.

So from what you are saying, if I want to transfer them from partition "C" to partition "E" on the same volume ("C" is only 2GB in size and is full, while "E" is 10GB.) then I need to move them to "E" in order to retain the original permissions. If I copy the folders onto "E" then they will inherit the permissions on the "E" volume, losing their original permissions in the process. In short moving retains original permissions. Is that correct?

What I want to transfer to the other partition is one folder with multiple sub-folders which have files within them. The main folder has one set of permissions that apply to everyone, while the sub-folders and the files within them have varied permissions depending on who has access to them.

I hope all this makes sense.

------------------

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 02-02-01, 10:48 PM
Mod Emeritus

quote:
Originally posted by cloud:
Dead,
Thanks for the reply.

I'm refering to two seperate partitions on the same drive "C" and "E". I want to move shared folders from "C" to "E" but retain the original permissions to the folders and the files within them.

So from what you are saying... In short moving retains original permissions. Is that correct?

To the best of my knowledge, going from C: to E: will cause the permissions to become inherited from whatever folder you put these in regardless of which method you use.

Do you have access to the NT Resource Kit? There is a utility called SCOPY that does what you want. If not, do you have access to a tape drive? You could backup the data to tape and restore (with security) to the other location.

------------------
L.
Old 02-03-01, 12:31 AM

Hmmmm... don't have the resource kit or access to tape drive. I guess I will have to figure something ekse out or worse comes to worse redo the permissions.

------------------

Old 02-03-01, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

MAYBE if cloud had an email address he would also have a utility called robocopy.exe from the nt resource kit that can do what he wants and more (you were close Dead, scopy was a good guess )

You are screwed as far as using explorer to move rights (although they fixed this with 2000) I usually use a tape drive, but my tape systems usually ROCK!!

from robocopy readme

Copy NTFS file security information.
The /SEC switch copies NTFS file security information for new files and directories. To use /SEC, the source and destination volumes must both use the NTFS file system.

Old 02-03-01, 09:57 AM
Mod Emeritus

quote:
Originally posted by 4KRG:
MAYBE if cloud had an email address he would also have a utility called robocopy.exe from the nt resource kit that can do what he wants and more (you were close Dead, scopy was a good guess )

What's wrong with using scopy for this? It's described in a similar manner... did I miss something?

File Copy with Security can be used to copy files and folders from NTFS partitions with their security intact. You can use this utility to back up files and folders from NTFS partitions without using a tape drive.

------------------
L.
Old 02-03-01, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

didn't see scopy on the NT resource cd, my fault. I am sure there are dozens of utils that can be used. On the NT resource and free download.