Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

How much would a good server cost?

Old 02-02-01, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am wondering how much it would cost to get a good server- p4 1.5 Mhz(dual probably), I gig ram.

what else would you get for a great server?

Look at link below for more about why i am thinking about it

http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/027497.html

------------------
Other Bargains Coupon Pet Thread
Old 02-02-01, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think the best feature of a new server would be some better designed forum software! As has been mentioned many, many times, UBB is a complete bastard in terms of putting load on a server, a database-oriented forum system would be FAR better, especially given the amount of traffic this one gets. Check out AnandTech for a look at their server config... YOWZA!!! But the main thing is, they use a purely database-oriented system for their site (not just the forums, the entire thing) so they have one set of dedicated web servers and one set of dedicated database servers. For a forum that gets as much traffic as this one, all the cacheing just isn't going to help matters one bit, you need a forum system which is just a lot more efficient than UBB is.

------------------
Logic Made Easy
God is love. Love is blind. Ray Charles is blind. Therefore, Ray Charles is God.

AIM: TheyCallHimJim
MSN: [email protected]
Old 02-02-01, 09:33 AM

Possibly the best deal on a quality server would be to shop Dell's refurbished site. I have some personal experience with their stuff and I'm convinced it's as good as "new", in every sense of the word. They have some killer promotions there. BTW--it all comes with the same 3 year warranty.