Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

USB - I only have two on my cpu - can I split into three?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

USB - I only have two on my cpu - can I split into three?

Old 01-30-01, 02:12 PM

I have used both already, but need to add anohher usb device. is there some kind of a/b switch that i can use? or some other sort of splitter?

thanks for any help you can give me.

thanks, nick
Old 01-30-01, 02:39 PM

You can pick up a USB hub that will let you expand one port several times
Old 01-30-01, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A USB Hub can split things out for you but there is also another nifty way to do this.

You can by a Microsoft Internet Keyboard. I am not sure if the standard "Internet" keyboards do this but I have the Internet Natural Keyboard and it has two USB Ports on it. So while it takes up one it gives me two additional.

This way you get a cool new keyboard and two more USB ports.

I must have posted my change at the same time this thread was moved.

EDIT

...just checked... you can get either the "Internet Keyboard Pro" or the "Natural Keyboard Pro". Priced at $49 and $69 (respectively). NOTE: I used a coupon a while back to get the Natural keyboard for about $40 at Staples.com

[This message has been edited by BadAsh (edited January 30, 2001).]
Old 01-30-01, 02:44 PM
Uber Member

Moving to DVD Rom and Computer forum.

------------------
David, Administrator, Moderator of the Other Forum
I laughed, I cried, my life was changed: The Other Forum
My DVDs and HT Email: [email protected]
Old 01-30-01, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not only can you plug a USB hub in, you can plug more hubs into that, and more hubs into those hubs, and so on... I think you can have a total of something ridiculous like 128 devices running on one USB channel...

Another thing, you might actually be able to give yourself more ports overall. Take a look at your motherboard, a lot of motherboards have support for another 2 USB ports in addition to the two standard ones at the back. If this is the case with yours, you can get a USB backplate, which is basically two USB ports mounted on a bit of metal which mounts into a spare expansion port. Thus giving you even more USB ports...

------------------
Logic Made Easy
God is love. Love is blind. Ray Charles is blind. Therefore, Ray Charles is God.

AIM: TheyCallHimJim
MSN: [email protected]
Old 01-30-01, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just checked, you can run a total of 127 USB devices on a single channel. Which begs the question, who the heck thought it was necessary to design a connection protocol that you could plug such a daft number of devices into at once?
Old 01-30-01, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had the same problem. Picked up a D-link 4 port hub for 24.95 shipped overnight from Outpost (amazon has it for under $21 +shipping if you are more patient).

Just arrived and plan to install tonight. Needed it after getting a digital camera.
Old 01-30-01, 06:40 PM
Stealth Moderator

thanks all. i've been meaning to get a USB hub for such a long time, but after reading this thread, finally got my butt in gear.

------------------
DEFENDER OF THE OTHER FORUM
what's your job at the other forum?
Old 01-30-01, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, same problem here, just got a digital camera and currently have to keep unplugging various things so I can switch devices But my motherboard's got a header for an extra 2 USB ports on it, so I just bought a backplate with a couple of ports on it. Just keeps everything a bit neater than having a hub floating around, IMO...

------------------
Logic Made Easy
God is love. Love is blind. Ray Charles is blind. Therefore, Ray Charles is God.

Old 01-30-01, 06:45 PM
Stealth Moderator

outpost sells an Edimax 4-Port Mini Portable USB Hub for Laptops (Bus powered) for $19.95.

is there advantage to getting a self-powered over a bus-powered?

edit: do a search at outpost.com for "usb hub" and you'll see it ...

------------------

[This message has been edited by namja (edited January 30, 2001).]
Old 01-30-01, 06:58 PM
Stealth Moderator

hey, TCHJ, where'd you go? answer my Q dammit???

------------------
Old 01-30-01, 07:15 PM
Needs to provide a working email

quote:
Originally posted by TheyCallHimJim:
Just checked, you can run a total of 127 USB devices on a single channel. Which begs the question, who the heck thought it was necessary to design a connection protocol that you could plug such a daft number of devices into at once?

For a similar reason that SCSI can support 7 devices. The SCSI or USB controller itself takes up one address space. A SCSI device uses 3 bits to identify it-- 2x2x2=8 minus 1 gives you seven. With USB, it uses a 7 bit identifier-- 2x2x2x2x2x2x2=128 minus 1 gives you 127. Not daft at all.

Old 01-30-01, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

quote:
Originally posted by namja:
hey, TCHJ, where'd you go? answer my Q dammit???

Whaaaaaat?!?! You mean the self powered vs. bus powered one?

I guess that if you have a lot of devices plugged into a bus-powered one, and a bog-standard PSU in your compiter, then maybe it could cause instability problems. Especially if you've already got a load of other devices in your machine, you eat up a fair bit of power, and I suppose having a load of extraneous crap running off the USB port cn't exactly help matters... Plus if you're using a laptop, I guess it'd run the battery down a little faster as well if you're running a load of devices which draw their power from the USB port...

------------------
Logic Made Easy

Old 01-30-01, 07:33 PM
Stealth Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by namja:
outpost sells an Edimax 4-Port Mini Portable USB Hub for Laptops (Bus powered) for $19.95.

so this one should be just fine???

------------------
Old 01-30-01, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't see any reason why not...
Old 01-30-01, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Namja,
I would not get a bus powered hub(the usb port powers all devices) I would get a self powered hub(the hub powers the devices). I got one for the same price(19.99) as the bus powered one you are looking at. and then fry's ran it for $14.99 so i got a $5 dollar credit towards a dvd on sale . it was a siig 4000p. Look around a bit to see if you can get a self powered one for a good price.

I also have a microsoft internet pro keyboard with the 2 extra ports but i found that sometimes the ports would not all detect so my mouse would disappear at bootup every now and then. I think this was due to a power issue and my self powered hub solved it
Old 02-01-01, 05:03 PM

I second the opinion for staying away from bus powered hubs. I believe the USB Bus can only put out a limited amount of power. If you have several different devices on the bus that are all drawing against the power, you run into a position where you can push enough power down the bus into the hub.

Brian

------------------
First I'm gonna whip you stupid, then I'm gonna f*** you silly!
Old 02-01-01, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You should definitely only buy powered USB hubs for workstation applications. If the devices in use don't require the power you can leave the power cable off the hub, but you will likely require it at some point.

Note that using the USB ports on keyboards is an extension of the bus power. Those ports are typically used for mice and such.

------------------
My DVD Library