Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

God awful sound coming from computer

Old 02-01-01, 09:36 PM

I have a 1 1/2 year old HP Pavillion 6470z and it recently started to moan and groan. Appears to be coming from fan and I can only best describe the sound as a labored whirling sound. Any ideas???
Old 02-01-01, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Replace the fan.

------------------
My DVD Library
Old 02-01-01, 10:44 PM

Hey it sounds like mine. Mine sounds like a washing machine.
Old 02-12-01, 02:50 PM

Problem continues...Help

Well I changed the power supply/fan and the noise continues. Could it be coming from the hard drive?
Old 02-12-01, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Open the case and listen. See if it's the processor fan by putting your finger on it for a second and stopping it. If the sound quits, there you go. If not, just put your ear by the case and pinpoint the sound.
Old 02-12-01, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds like it could be the processor fan.

Any news yet?
Old 02-12-01, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk God

RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ITS GONNA EXPLODE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-12-01, 10:56 PM
Stealth Moderator

my roommate spilled beer on his notebook computer ... and it fried his HD ... and it made an AWFUL AWFUL sound ...
Old 02-13-01, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by Fhrx
Sounds like it could be the processor fan.

Any news yet?
Thanks for the input. I will check the processor fan tonight. If the fan is bad, is it easy to replace?
Old 02-15-01, 05:44 AM

montag, if it is the processor fan, then yes, it is very easy to replace. Depending on what CPU you have it should not take longer than 5 minutes. If you do find out that it's your CPU fan, pust what CPU you are using and we'll tell you how to replace it. BTW, depending on how old your CPU is & if it was bought as a retail unit, not OEM, the fan may still be under warranty. Good luck
Old 02-15-01, 07:13 AM

Zim, it's a PII 400 MHz and not under warranty. Thanks for your help!
Old 02-15-01, 03:44 PM

montag, if it's a PII 400, then you would have to remove the processor from the two support rails that hold it up and steady. There are two plastic tabs that need to be squeezed then slowly pull the processor straight up. Once you have the processor off, all you need to do is carefully unclip the two brackets that hold the fan/heat sink to the processor. Before you attach the new fan/heat sink, be sure to thoroughly coat the underside w/ the grease that comes w/ it to ensure good contact. Then all you have to do is reverse the procedure. If anyone has anything to add, feel free to. Hope this helps montag.
Old 02-16-01, 06:01 AM

Originally posted by Zim Hosein
montag, if it's a PII 400, then you would have to remove the processor from the two support rails that hold it up and steady. There are two plastic tabs that need to be squeezed then slowly pull the processor straight up. Once you have the processor off, all you need to do is carefully unclip the two brackets that hold the fan/heat sink to the processor. Before you attach the new fan/heat sink, be sure to thoroughly coat the underside w/ the grease that comes w/ it to ensure good contact. Then all you have to do is reverse the procedure. If anyone has anything to add, feel free to. Hope this helps montag.
Thanks...Stupid question, what is a heat sink? When I removed the cpu, it had a block of plastic (is this the heat sink?) attatched to the cpu with two metal clips and a fan on top of the block of plastic. Do I just remove and replace the fan or the block as well?

If the "plastic block" is to be removed is there a trick to releasing the metal clips?

What is the function of a heat sink?

If I go to CompUSA, do I just ask for a PII heat sink/fan or do I have to get a specific type??

Very early here, so please excuse the rambling. Thanks alot for all the input.
Old 02-16-01, 01:04 PM

montag, a heat sink is a piece of metal that allows heat to dissipate at a greater rate by allowing more surface area for the heat to escape. When you removed the CPU, two thin metal clips should hold on the heatsink/fan. A heatsink is metal, not plastic. The block that the fan is attached to is the heatsink, which should be metal. The trick to removing the metal retaining clips is to use needle nose pliers and gently pull the edge of the clip towards you then up. You should not need to use a lot of pressure at all. If any of this seems confusing, purchase the replacement heatsink/fan from CompUSA first. When you are there just ask for a PII heatsink & fan. The package should have more info & diagrams to help you with any thing I wasn't too clear on. Last time I was at CompUSA, I remember the heatsink & fan being in the upgrade center for around 10 beans. Did this help at all?
Old 02-16-01, 01:22 PM

Zim, I bought the new heatsink/fan. I had a hell of a time getting the clips off my old heatsink so I left it on the cpu and put the new fan on it. Do you think that will cause any probs? The god awful noise has stopped!!!

Thanks alot for your help