Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

I have 32 mg ram. What would I notice if I added 32 more?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

I have 32 mg ram. What would I notice if I added 32 more?

Old 02-01-01, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I inherited this beige Pentium 233 and, being the pc dunce that I am, I wonder what I would notice if I hauled it to a dealer and had another 32 added. Or maybe 128?

Maybe I should give it to the cat and get a newer model. It has about 7 gig left on the drive.

Old 02-01-01, 02:19 AM
X
Administrator

The bootup memory counter would go to 64MB? Is this a trick question?
Old 02-01-01, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quote:
Originally posted by X:
The bootup memory counter would go to 64MB? Is this a trick question?

Not at all. I'm wondering if the pc, with more ram, might do its duty with a little more dispatch. It does a lot of rumbling when I leave a page that has a lot of graphics, for example. It sounds a bit like a toilet flush.

By the way, look at the new toys GK brought back from his cruise.
Old 02-01-01, 05:41 AM
Uber Member

quote:
Originally posted by LtlPhysics:
Not at all. I'm wondering if the pc, with more ram, might do its duty with a little more dispatch. It does a lot of rumbling when I leave a page that has a lot of graphics, for example. It sounds a bit like a toilet flush.

By the way, look at the new toys GK brought back from his cruise.

Depends on what you are doing with the PC and what operating system you are using.

If it's 95, I don't think it benefits much from having more than 128mb of ram.

You might want to just stick in a 128mb chip if you can get a good price. I don't think there's that much difference between a 64 and 128 (pricewise) right now. Not sure that only adding 32 would do you that much good....

-David
Old 02-01-01, 06:49 AM

I had a a 233 with 32 megs once, and moving to 64 megs did make a diffrence. I used it mostly for web browsing and performance did improve noticeably, but don't expect a miracle. I still use it now and then, and for web browsing/word processing it's perfectly fine.

Basically, when you are doing what you normally do, look at the hard drive light on your computer. Everytime it goes on, adding more ram will help prevent that. It doesn't seem like much, but it adds up to a noticeable improvement in speed.

One thing to note is that if you have an older motherboard, it may not be able to handle more than 64 megs. If your chipset (motherboard) is a tx or a vx, 64 is the max. You may have to do a search on the web to see if your motherboard can handle more then 64 megs.

You may want to search the web for articles about ram. It is very easy to add ram to a computer. If you can get past the fear of opening your computer case, it's a lot like putting together pieces of lego. You basically insert it into a slot and push down with a little force till it "clicks" in place.
Old 02-01-01, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

RAM prices are dead cheap at the moment, so I'd go for it. Not long ago, I went from 32MB of memory to 256MB, and I couldn't believe the difference it made! Basically, with 32MB or less of memory, the swap file gets used so heavily that for anything even remotely memory-intensive, the computer virtually grinds to a halt while it's busy churning away at the hard drive. Put some more memory in, and you'll be amazed just how little your hard drive actually gets used...
Old 02-01-01, 10:57 AM

Would he get added memory that is PC100 or PC133? How would he know which type to add onto his pc or does it matter and just to add the faster one which is the latter?
Old 02-01-01, 04:33 PM

on the subject of memory (which i highly recommend the originator of this post buys) can you mix ecc memory with non ecc memory. I believe you cant but just want to get someone to verify this for me.
Old 02-01-01, 05:36 PM
X
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by coolmello:
on the subject of memory (which i highly recommend the originator of this post buys) can you mix ecc memory with non ecc memory. I believe you cant but just want to get someone to verify this for me.

My experience has been that you can. But the ECC memory does not provide ECC anymore.
Old 02-01-01, 07:07 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:
Originally posted by coolmello:

I don't think it's such a good idea to mix ECC and non-ECC RAM together in your system. You CAN mix PC66, PC100, and PC133 RAM together, but only as long as your system's memory bus is running at the speed of your slowest piece of RAM.

It's better to keep your RAM all one type. It really doesn't make sense to mix ECC and non-ECC RAM together if you don't have to. You're not going to see any benefits from doing it. It may not kill anything, but it's not going to make your system work any better.