Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Arghhh.... I can't get it to work, please help me!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Arghhh.... I can't get it to work, please help me!

Old 02-01-01, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ok, so I got my new pc133 ram dimm and install it for 10 minutes backwards, lots of jamming, rip off a clip on my mobo, figure out i'm an idiot, install it the right way, works great, but I can't get the damned FSB to 100!! I change it to 100 and WHAM, no boot, again!!! So i'm thinking, well, till I fix this I put in all my ram, but of course, I put it all, should be 256, says 192, so I reset, do memory test and test fails, so ok, I blew one of my dimms . I take one out, now it says 128 only... where's the other? So I take other out and figure I'll stop touching my stuff before I ESD my cpu or something that I really need. But I still can't change the damned bus speed, I went through the whole change in the bios AND on the ppga converter this time, but no go. Could it be something on a pci slot being a bitch that won't accept this? Or maybe AGP? I've tried all I know and I still can't get anything to work. If you need to know, I have

ABIT BF6
CELERON 466 (on a PPGA converter)
128 Megs pc133
128 Megs pc66 (one dimm seems dead now)
Asus 4MB 3DexPlorer AGP card, 100Mhz SGRAM it says
Diamond Monster II 8 MB
Yamaha 16 bit soundcard
NIC (which shouldn't affect this)
Asus PCI-SC875 SCSI controller

That's basically all that has a hand in this... could it be one of these that's preventing me from getting this damned thing to work on a faster bus speed? My Voodoo 5500 hasn't shipped yet and i'm unsure if it will, but if it doesn't, I can probably get it in town if I argue enough with a dealer.

[This message has been edited by Feneant (edited February 01, 2001).]

I was just told that a Celeron will only run at 85 tops... is that true?? I wasn't aware of this at all. I was also told that my trying to jam ram the wrong way would mean it's now at least partly broken, that true?

[This message has been edited by Feneant (edited February 01, 2001).]
Old 02-01-01, 04:40 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

have you tried running with only the 128 pc133? getting sticks of pc66 to run at 100 FSB is near impossible.

the default fsb and multiplier on the 466 is 66*7.0 correct?

and no, the highest isn't necessarily 85 fsb (the old badass cel300a's could do 100fsb giving you 450MHz)

it just depends on the specific chip that you got (for example, my 633 won't touch 100 FSB but i can run at 95FSB whereas others have gotten way above 100FSB) and on how well you have it cooled.

try running everything default w/ the pc133 stick...

installing any component the wrong way would put the pins in misalignment, scrape them and maybe even crack them.

--HN

--HN

[This message has been edited by HN (edited February 01, 2001).]
Old 02-01-01, 04:59 PM

The pc133 dimm is the only one in there. So basically, user defined in the bios to change the fsb isn't a problem and I can do it without harming my pc? Ok, I'll try it at something like 75 and work my way up.
Old 02-01-01, 05:08 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

go from default (66) and work your way up (to be sure everything even works in the first place)

to see the potential of your chip head over to www.overclockers.com and click on "cpu database". then on the pull down menu find your chip and see how high others have gotten and what they've done (type increasing voltage, cooling methods, etc) to get it there.

--HN
Old 02-01-01, 05:18 PM

Some people have it runnning very high (525-742MHZ). I tried 85, the light on the monitor stays green, but I get no picture so guess that one won't work either. I'll just leave the damned thing at 66 for now. But will my leaving it at 66 cause me problems when I install my voodoo5500?? Would I notice a significant improvement if I did put the bus higher or should I just leave it at 66.
Old 02-01-01, 05:55 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

running the 5500 on 66fsb won't give it problems but i think it does hinder it from running at it's potential. (however, pci and agp slots run as a proportion to the cpu fsb, either 1/1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 for pci and 1/1 or 2/3 for agp. you can adjust accordingly).

if things work fine and dandy at 66 for awhile, then push it to 75 (or whatever the next allow fsb is).

and then if you're really adventurous (and careful), you can start upping the voltage.

but one thing at a time

--HN