Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Problem with my newly built pc HELP!!!

Old 01-31-01, 01:35 AM

I cant get my new pc to start. When I turn it on the motherboard seems to be working. It has a light on it and it is lit. But the monitor still has an orange light as if the pc is off. It is a Voodoo3 3000 PCI. Anyone know why it wont startup? Does it have to do with video card??? Thanks fo any input. I just bought components to build my own pc and they are as follows:

Iwill KA266-R
crucial pc1600 ddr ram
900 mhz socket a athlon
45 gig maxtor hd
sony spressa 12x8x32x
100mb zip drive
Old 01-31-01, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

lets get alittle info:
Do the Fans and cpu fan go on?

Do you hear any beeps?

Did it ever work or is this a new computer just assembled?

Did you check all the connections reseat the cpu, video card and ram?

Do you have an agp video card to try to see if it will boot with that?

[This message has been edited by gcribbs (edited January 30, 2001).]
Old 01-31-01, 05:45 AM
Stealth Moderator

I may not be helping at all, but when I had a similar problem less than a month ago, I just reseated the CPU and reinserted the video card in place, and VOILA! the computer started right up. Try this first, and if it doesn't work, provide in greater detail what is happening to your computer when you attempt to power up.

------------------
DEFENDER OF THE OTHER FORUM
what's your job at the other forum?
Old 01-31-01, 08:48 AM

Fan goes on as for cpu i cant tell. How could I tell? the fan is real loud. No beeps. IT is just been assembled. I did reseat vcard and ram but not cpu i will do that. I have no agp card.
Old 01-31-01, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Might be the bus speed is wrong... on most mobos if you set stuff in the bios that wont work, it won't boot up. Like take my pc now, if I put it at 100, the ram cant take it so I get the same problem as you. Check to make sure your settings in the bios are some that actually work on the motherboard or in the cards, might be you have a too high setting for a pci card or something along those lines. Check your motherboard manual for the key to have it boot in default kinda mode (it's insert on my board).

I know nothing about Athlon pc's, but don't they run at a 200 bus?? If so, that might be a problem with the video card.
Old 01-31-01, 01:03 PM

Thanks for the input but cant adjust the bios because it wont start. It has jumpers for the mulitplier which i have set on auto but i have also set them to 9x for my 900mhz cpu.
Old 01-31-01, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Sounds like a dead power supply to me. I had that happen to me when I built mine.
Old 01-31-01, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Check in your motherboard manual and find out where the BIOS reset jumper is. Then check to make sure it's the right way round, cehcking on the manufacturer's website as well to make sure there wasn't a typo in the manual. When I installed a new motherboard recently, it wouldn't do anything on boot-up; then I found out that there were loads of typos in the manual regarding jumper settings, and I actually had the BIOS jumper set to "Reset" instead of "Operate", which was why it wouldn't do anything. Funnily, once I had the correct jumper definitions, a lot of other problems disappeared as well...

------------------
Logic Made Easy
God is love. Love is blind. Ray Charles is blind. Therefore, Ray Charles is God.

AIM: TheyCallHimJim
MSN: [email protected]
Old 01-31-01, 07:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TJ22:
Thanks for the input but cant adjust the bios because it wont start. It has jumpers for the mulitplier which i have set on auto but i have also set them to 9x for my 900mhz cpu.

Check the manual for the key to hit when you get that. Mine specifically says something like "if the pc won't boot and you get a black screen, his insert to boot in default mode" or something like that...
Old 01-31-01, 08:19 PM

I removed my heatsink to listen for any action and i now have a very potent ordor from the cpu. Also I shut down and sat my heatsink back on and still got the ordor and when I removed the heatsink it had a little yellow stuff on it. Is the cpu gone? Also I saw somewhere that you had to connect the L1 Bridge on athlon cpu is this true? My system also does not beep at all? Looking dim
Old 01-31-01, 10:11 PM

The bios can be reseted simply by shorting the CMOS clear jumper. It is usually located at the bottom right corner of an ATX format board. Check the motherboard manual for more detail on reseting the bios.

------------------
DVD wanderer
Old 01-31-01, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If it's a heatsink that you've never taken off the processor before, they usually have a little square patch of orangey schmutz on them anyway, round about where they touch the processor. It's meant to improve thermal contact, but it actually does completely the opposite. Just get a clean cloth with a bit of lighter fluid on it and clean the orange plasticky crud off the bottom of the heatsink so you've just got the bare metal, it'll work a lot better.
Old 02-01-01, 12:08 AM

I am pretty sure it is shot. It didnot come with the heat sink on it. And I didnot put any stuff orange goo on it so it is definitely something else. Also I am pretty sure something is wrong with the board as well seeing as how it does not beep at all.
Old 02-01-01, 04:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TheyCallHimJim:
If it's a heatsink that you've never taken off the processor before, they usually have a little square patch of orangey schmutz on them anyway, round about where they touch the processor. It's meant to improve thermal contact, but it actually does completely the opposite. Just get a clean cloth with a bit of lighter fluid on it and clean the orange plasticky crud off the bottom of the heatsink so you've just got the bare metal, it'll work a lot better.

Are you talking about thermal grease or whatever?? That stuff is actually very good for your pc and you will see a very noticeable difference in cpu heat if you put some of the stuff on it.