Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Why is ordering DSL like signing a deal with the devil?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Why is ordering DSL like signing a deal with the devil?

Old 01-29-01, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am having a hell of time getting, or finding dsl. I found one company (DSLi.com) that would support 2 computers sharing one dsl line, free equipment, and free setup for $49.95 and 1 year contract. The only problem is they keep changing the damn story around, and prices when I talk to differnt reps. I have to call a specfic person to get the deal.

Any great deals for dsl like free 2 computers sharing dsl, free equipment, free setup, $39-49 per month, and no extra costs? I don't mind the contract, cause I'll be using this for years.

I have used dslreports.com but that gives me the worst offers, and wrong listings. I am consdering microsoft, earthlink, and dsli.com right now. I wish I had a 4th option.

Damn it! Ordering Dsl is like signing a deal with the devil.

------------------
"One must kill the spider in order to save the butterfly."

Millions Knives - Trigun

[This message has been edited by HoMeBrO (edited January 29, 2001).]
Old 01-30-01, 03:19 PM

dsl is kind of tough because it goes through your local phone company's system unless you hook up with covad who runs their own networks (or at least used to, they've run into some problems of late and may have stopped)

just one piece of advice...don't tell the company you want 2 computers. Just sign up for one and you can use a router to network which will share the connection.

you also should find out if cable is available in your area if dsl is looking sketchy

good luck
Old 01-30-01, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

quote:
Originally posted by Crizzar:

just one piece of advice...don't tell the company you want 2 computers. Just sign up for one and you can use a router to network which will share the connection.
good luck

Thanks, I'll take it under advisement!

Old 01-31-01, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
mindspring/earthlink has one for 39.95/mo, +100 setup fee, and you have to sign up for 6 months min. Nothing else needed. email me if you need the special offer code.

Tuan Jim

------------------
"The fact that you've got replica written down the side of your guns, and the fact that I've got desert eagle point 5-0 written on the side of mine should precipitate your balls into shrinking, along with your presence."

-- Bullet-Tooth Tony
Old 01-31-01, 03:31 PM

I just went to a www.winfire.com and they're offering free dsl service and also other plans as well that are nto that expensive. Only problem is, you have to buy a modem from them, but I did find modems on sale at Ebay for 150 and less. I haven't dealt with these guys, but I started another post to see if anybody has.
Old 02-01-01, 12:18 AM

Ordering DSL is like,

quote:
originally posted by HoMeBrO:

signing a deal with the devil

Last week I ordered DSL from earthlink and they told me that I qualified for it. Three days later, I get an email telling me that they cancelled it because I did not qualify for it. They claim that the looping distance is too far (over 15,000) feet. Why would they tell online that I could order it??? You can't believe what they tell you online because as Crizzar said, they have to go through your local phone company to get the information on whether not you live within distance.

Now I'm stuck with no DSL and probably none for awhile because I will probably run into this looping distance problem with anyone I sign up with (Ameritech, Telocity, etc.)

This really sucks!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-11-01, 06:38 PM

check with telocity, i think they have a 39.99 a month service with free modem etc... it's not too bad.. and if you're in the Los Angeles area.. got for mminternet.com i use them and they're great... it's a little premium at 49.99 but u get a static IP and real live tech support (person to person!) and they do referrals.. (free 49.99 credit for everyone u refer!)