Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Can I substitute a 12Volt/2Amp AC adapter for the original 12Volt/1 Amp?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-21-10, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Netgear router that came with a power-adapter that is rated 12Volts/1Amp that is broken.I have several AC adapters that came with various Maxtor external hard drives and they are all rated 12Volts/2 Amps.Can I use any of these power supplies or will they fry my router?The plugs are also the same so they fit the router fine.I just can't remember how these adapters work-do they "push" out the full 2 Amps all the time or is this a sort of maximum output and the router will only take what it needs Ampere wise?Someone please refresh my memory,school is becoming a distant memory...
Old 04-21-10, 10:46 AM
X
Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Can I substitute a 12Volt/2Amp AC adapter for the original 12Volt/1 Amp?

The router will only take what it needs. You'll just be wasting some power with the transformer that can generate the 2 amps.
Old 04-22-10, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Can I substitute a 12Volt/2Amp AC adapter for the original 12Volt/1 Amp?

Thank you.So the 2 Amp supply draws more power all the time but only supplies what the connected device needs and that little extra consumption of power is the only drawback.Good to know these days with so many power adapters for all kinds of gadgets and devices.I must have 40+ chargers/adapters around the house.