Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

newbish to the world of photography, would a micro 4/3rds be a good start for me?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

newbish to the world of photography, would a micro 4/3rds be a good start for me?

Old 04-15-10, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I've had an interest in photography for awhile and I have been doing what I can with my P&S and I want to go to the next level.

Would a micro 4/3rds be a better stepping stone into the world of DSLR awesomeness or should I bite the bullet and go all in?

I was looking at the Lumix GF1

would like some thoughts on how it compares to the Olympus PEN EP1 if anyone has one

thanks,
-b.
Old 04-15-10, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: newbish to the world of photography, would a micro 4/3rds be a good start for me?

The GF1 performs better than the Olympus. These are neat little cameras, I don't think that they are replacements for the DSLRs, but they are a good second choice. The cost is really the same or more for a Micro 4/3's vs. a regular DSLR, and there are far more lenses available for the DLSRs from Canon, Nikon, and Sony. If the size of a Rebel or D5000 is daunting, then by all means pick up a GF1.
Old 04-15-10, 07:57 PM

Re: newbish to the world of photography, would a micro 4/3rds be a good start for me?

You can still buy the Canon T1I with 18-55 IS lens for the same price as the GF1. Or for $100 more you can get the really nice Canon T2I with 18-55 IS. Keep in mind the GF1 is nothing like a SLR, no viewfinder, etc... It's a point and shoot with changeable lenses. However not knocking the GF1, it takes nice photos.
Old 04-19-10, 02:26 AM

just go all in. why waste money if you are going to upgrade to a dslr later anyways?
Old 04-19-10, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by chino77 View Post
just go all in. why waste money if you are going to upgrade to a dslr later anyways?
I will probably do this but I wanted to get some more opinions on it. I was looking at it from the angle of if I get another camera (DSLR) and am turned off by the size or the use (learning curve of it), I would regret the purchase. Howver A 4/3 would be smaller and I'm thinking easier to use/learn with- might be more palatable.
Old 04-19-10, 08:06 PM

a dslr isnt very hard to take good pics with. dont be to worried about that. i would say if you want to learn and are afraid of a dslr then get a superzoom with dslr capabilities. they are small, great to learn on and when you upgrade to a dslr you will still have a use for it since zoom lenses that come close for a dslr are huge and cost over 1k. i think most have decent macro too. so if you want to mess around with that you will have that option too without spending $400+ on a macro lens.
Old 04-19-10, 08:09 PM

DSLRs are often easier to use than compact cameras.
Old 04-22-10, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My advice would be to handle a few of these cameras in store and see what feels more natural for you to take photos with.
Personally I can't use a camera without an optical viewfinder so even the basic Canon DSLR I have is great for me.
If you buy into a micro 4/3 system and want to upgrade to a proper DSLR down the line then I think you will have wasted the money on the micro 4/3.
I would recommend the basic Canon/Nikon DSLR (whichever feels better in your hand) with an 18-55mm kit lens and a 50mm f/1.8 lens as a second lens. Prime wide aperture is the heart of photography.