Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Will this piece of equipment get my dsl connection to share with one other computer?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Will this piece of equipment get my dsl connection to share with one other computer?

Old 01-29-01, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Linksys BEFSR11 1-Port Etherfast Cable/DSL Router

Will this connect two computers to DSL, with line sharing?

Will the speeds be lower with two people on dsl at the same time?

Is there better, or cheaper equipment when it comes to two people or computers using dsl?

One of my computers has a 3com earthlink card, but the other does not! Do I need a another card, or can I use a usb outlet for the other computer?

Does anyone have a link, or ways of how to setup this 2 computer dsl sharing setup?

I'm knowledgable in computers, but this dsl stuff is making me confused.

Thanks in advance!

------------------
"One must kill the spider in order to save the butterfly."

Millions Knives - Trigun
Old 01-29-01, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It will do the thing, but you will need something like a hub... What you would do is connect the DSL modem to the router in the WAN jack or whatever it's called. Then you would connect the router to the hub using its port and plugging it in the uplink port on the hub (don't know if hubs have these, I use a switch) and then both pc's to the hub. With that will need a NIC in both pc's, but that's necessary no matter what you do. With that and following the instructions that come with the router, you should be able to share your connection. You might want to look up a router with more than 1 port though, then you wouldn't need a hub. I have an SMC Barricade router with 4 ports that act as a switch. If 2 people use the line at the same time to browse, you won't notice any difference, but if one is on Napster and the other watching streaming video, then you will notice difference... it all goes with the bandwith you have coming in the line. There might be simpler solutions, but the one I gave is the one i'm trying to use. I'm sure 4KRG will answer this thread and his answer will probably similar to mine, but a lot clearer.

Something else we had at work, but that shouldn't be a problem here. We have Dell pc's and on some of them, the 3com card will only work on a 3com switch and nothing else... unsure why or if this was even the right reason, but I had my 3com pc changed to a 3com switch as the other didn't work.
Old 01-29-01, 06:37 PM
Mod Emeritus

You might consider the BEFSR41 - EtherFast 4-Port Cable/DSL Router instead... four ports so you don't have to buy a hub or switch.

------------------
D.
Old 01-29-01, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There are several brands of hubs/routers around the $110 to $150 range. I personally have the SMC barricade, which has a 4 port hub and dsl/cable router. It also has a printer port so you can network a printer a little easier, and and modem jack so you can have a backup dialup connection if your highspeed goes down. It's pretty easy to setup..I got mine a outpost for 99 before they raised the price. I think linksys, netgear and a few others have similar models.

Dave
Old 01-29-01, 07:05 PM

Why are dsl companys are such a$$holes when it comes to install 2 people to dsl. Only a rare few would support it, and provide equipment.

I am open to any suggestions.
------------------
"One must kill the spider in order to save the butterfly."

Millions Knives - Trigun

[This message has been edited by HoMeBrO (edited January 29, 2001).]
Old 01-29-01, 07:52 PM
Mod Emeritus

quote:
Originally posted by HoMeBrO:
Why are dsl companys are such a$$holes when it comes to install 2 people to dsl. Only a rare few would support it, and provide equipment.

I am open to any suggestions.

Why? My guess is $$$$. They would probably rather you pay for two DSL lines than share one. DSL just became available in my area. If I decide to order it, I'm not going to exactly share all of what I plan to do with them. All they need to know is where to deliver the equipment and hook up the line.

------------------
D.
Old 01-30-01, 12:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dead:
Why? My guess is $$$$. They would probably rather you pay for two DSL lines than share one. DSL just became available in my area. If I decide to order it, I'm not going to exactly share all of what I plan to do with them. All they need to know is where to deliver the equipment and hook up the line.

I'm exposing myself too much.

I guess I have to watch what I say.

[This message has been edited by HoMeBrO (edited January 29, 2001).]
Old 01-30-01, 01:56 AM

If you are on a windows system, I recommend Internet Connection Sharing. It comes with Win 98 2nd edition and it works flawlessly. Hardware needed is a hub and an extra network card (2 in host computer).

I have had 7 people sharing our DSL connection simultaneously without any problems.

One other note - the host computer needs to be on for any other computer to use the DSL.

It's the cheapest solution I could find and it works great!!
Old 01-30-01, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The only problem with ICS is the host computer has to be on for anyone to access the net. With a router you don't. Both work, just depends on which setup you want. I did the router so my wife wouldn't have to come in and turn on my system when she wanted to get the net on her laptop. She finds that to hard

Dave
quote:
Originally posted by chefmitch:
If you are on a windows system, I recommend Internet Connection Sharing. It comes with Win 98 2nd edition and it works flawlessly. Hardware needed is a hub and an extra network card (2 in host computer).

I have had 7 people sharing our DSL connection simultaneously without any problems.

One other note - the host computer needs to be on for any other computer to use the DSL.

It's the cheapest solution I could find and it works great!!