Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

PPGA converter card question

Old 01-30-01, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah, me with more stupid questions again, but this one is hard to answer since I don't have anything but the converter, no box or manual.

I seem to remember when I was having problems with my cpu a while back, there is on the ppga converter a clip that can be changed to either 1-2 or 2-3 to do something. I'm not talking about the cmos battery reset thing, there is one on the converter but I can't remember what it does, but I "think" it has to do with changing the bus speed or something. (Yeah, this is still related to me trying to change my bus speed).
Old 01-30-01, 06:00 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Most likely its for bus speed (default, 66, 100)

or...it might be the voltage setting.

If that is the ONLY thing that looks like that on the slotket, then it's the bus speed adjustment.

If there are two, then the one with more pins (2 columns, 4 rows) is the voltage adjustment.

--HN
Old 01-30-01, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This one seems to be alone and the voltage one lower. The cap is yellow here and a diff color for the other ones.

This does bring up more questions though, could it be I can't run at 100 cause that thing is set to 66?? If I set it at the setting which it isn't and then change the fbs to 100, should that possibly make it work instead of constant black screens?

Thanks for the swift answer HN.
Old 01-30-01, 06:09 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

See if you can figure out the setting for default. that way, your FSB will be completely controlled via the motherboard.

(default setting is usually covering pins 1 and 2 on both rows)

your welcome

--HN

[This message has been edited by HN (edited January 30, 2001).]