Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

NETSCAPE V INTERNET EXPLORER

Old 01-25-01, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I find the caching better with IE but i prefer to download stuff with Netscape. For pages with a lot of images IE is definitely better, with Netscape you get nothing until the whole page is loaded ! whereas with IE you get the layout loading first then the images load.

What are other pros and cons with netscape and IE ?

what tasks do you do with only one of the browsers ?
Old 01-25-01, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've grown to really dislike Navigator... It seems to have a variety of weird features, like the fact that once it's done loading a page it often "redraws" it, which is really annoying when you've already started filling in a form or something. Plus, a lot of the time the "enter" key doesn't seem to work for submitting form info, annoying when you're typing in a password to access your email or whatever. And the fact that it seems to crash at random 10x more than IE does IE is pretty poop at downloading stuff, yeah, but I use a download manager (NetVampire) when I actually want to download more than the odd file, so that doesn't really concern me. Basically, I've found that IE is a lot happier to let you customise it, and a LOT more stable under windows, and I have no particular desire to "experiment" with Netscape again any time soon...

------------------
Logic Made Easy
God is love. Love is blind. Ray Charles is blind. Therefore, Ray Charles is God.

AIM: TheyCallHimJim
MSN: [email protected]
Old 01-25-01, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm using Netscape for some reason, cause it sucks bad lately. I write URL's and it erases part of it then restarts, it crashes for no reason like a million times a day. The pages load then nothing happens for like hours. If I try to open a thread with pictures that are linked from another site, it'll never load the picture and in the old days, when I clicked on a link, the page wouldn't load for about 30 seconds for no reason whatsoever. So as much as I don't like MS products, I have to say, go with IE cause Netscape is nothing more than a bug released by Netscape development by accident and that shouldn't be out on the markets.

On a brighter note, someone said in a previous thread that Opera 5.0 was out and now free so i'm considering checking that out.

Update - I installed Opera and I like it except for a huge banner on top that I'm posting a thread now on how to either shrink it or remove it.

[This message has been edited by Feneant (edited January 25, 2001).]
Old 01-25-01, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk God

i havent had netscape on my computer in 4 years or so, and refuse to as long as its comes packaged with a million and one useless resource sucking extras.. and i cant really see the point, since netscape technology is almost advanced to only 5 years outdated now.
Old 01-27-01, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to prefer Netscape a few years back, but recent versions have really got on my nerves with their inexplicable crashes.

Has anybody else tried Netscape 6 and run into JavaScript issues on form submission (page hangs, nothing happens)?
Old 01-27-01, 01:46 PM
Stealth Moderator

maybe it's me, maybe it's my computer, but ...

my IE 5.01 (I got rid of 5.5 due to too many crashes) still crashes as does my Netscape 6.

however, my MSN Explorer (I thought it was supposed to be just a skin on the IE?) never crashes on me ... I hate using MSN Explorer, but lately I've been forced to ...

------------------
DEFENDER OF THE OTHER FORUM
what's your job at the other forum?
Old 01-27-01, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Today, I had my first major crash on IE5.5 in a month. One thing about Microsoft products; when they crash, they REALLY crash!!! Say no more...
Old 01-28-01, 08:49 PM

I have both IE 5 and Netscape 6 installed and Netscape crashes all the time. I have very few problems with IE 5. IE 5's temporary internet files are easier to use. The only thing useful with Netscape is the cookie manager, but that is what Norton Utilities is for.

------------------
DVD wanderer
Old 01-28-01, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I use Netscape 6, although, it really is still beta according to Mozilla.org

An interesting story about whether Microsoft is going to keep Internet Explorer or not:

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-201-4448595-0.html

They say they might get rid of IE and instead
have novices use MSN Explorer and Technical saavy people use their new more advanced browser.
Old 01-29-01, 07:05 AM
Cool New Member

My gripe with Netscape 4.7* (won't even get into 6.0) is a memory leak where it just stops working...I ctl-alt-delete and see it ballooned up to 20mb. It should be around 10mb or so when working properly.

With IE5 that annoying pop you get when clicking URLs has got to go. Can that be disabled in any way? Symantec must have
thought it was a brilliant idea as they
have incorporated it into their NAV and NU
products.

Old 01-29-01, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

quote:
Originally posted by focus:
With IE5 that annoying pop you get when clicking URLs has got to go. Can that be disabled in any way? Symantec must have
thought it was a brilliant idea as they
have incorporated it into their NAV and NU
products.

In the Sounds section of control panel, you can disable a whole lot of irritating system sounds, and I'm pretty sure that the Norton sounds can be killed from there. Not sure about the IE ones though... personally I've always got music playing in the background so it doesn't really bother me

------------------
Logic Made Easy
God is love. Love is blind. Ray Charles is blind. Therefore, Ray Charles is God.

AIM: TheyCallHimJim
MSN: [email protected]
Old 01-29-01, 12:33 PM

Try Opera... it's actually very good compared to the others.
Old 01-29-01, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk God

quote:
Originally posted by Feneant:
Try Opera... it's actually very good compared to the others.

hehehehe

oh wait.. sorry.. were you being serious?
Old 01-29-01, 09:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by twikoff:
hehehehe

oh wait.. sorry.. were you being serious?

Yes I was... the new version is a damned lot better than Netscape can ever dream of being.
Old 01-30-01, 06:19 AM
Cool New Member

I just installed Opera 5.02 and I like it alot. It's amazing this browser is just 2MB
in size when IE and NS are over 14MB.