Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

weird glitch in Word 2000

Old 01-29-01, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For the second time now, one of our users here had their toolbars disapear in Word 2000. One day they booted up, opened up Word, and all the toolbars were gone, even the menu bar (which is quite important). All that was left was the blue title bar.

My first thought was that the normal.dot became corrupt. But when I deleted it and pasted in a new one, the problem remained (granted, that may have been the correct fix and I didn't quite do it right). Perhaps I didn't reboot to let it take effect?

So, as a drastic last resort, I signed on as administrator and deleted the user's profile (after saving their I.E. favorites). When they signed on again and re-created theor profile, everything was fine.

What the hell?

------------------
Professor Frink, Professor Frink, he'll make you laugh and make you think. He likes to run and then the thing with the ... person. Oh boy, that monkey is going to pay.
Old 01-29-01, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

sometimes these things happen it is not just word 2000. Killing the normal.dot was a start but you also needed to do this... (from the MS knowledgebase)

Deleting the Data Key:

NOTE: Deleting the Data key resets several options back to the default settings, including the File menu most recently used file list, and many settings you customize in the Options dialog boxes.

Most common options (click Options on the Tools menu) are stored in the Data key. One troubleshooting step is to delete the Data key. Word rebuilds this Data key by using the default settings the next time the program is started.

To delete the Data key, follow these steps:
Quit all instances of Word, including WordMail.

On the Windows taskbar, click the Start button and click Run.

In the Open box, type "regedit" (without the quotation marks), and click OK.

Locate the following key by double-clicking the appropriate folders.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\8.0\Word\Data

With the Data folder selected (on the left), click Delete on the Edit menu to delete the key.

Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the deletion.

Quit the registry editor and restart Word normally (without using the /a switch).
Old 01-29-01, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, 4KRG. It worked like a charm!

Like most people, I tend to tread very lightly when it comes to regedit . But sometimes it's quite unavoidable.
Old 01-29-01, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hum... wouldn't going in view and clicking on full screen fix this problem as well? I have users once in a while who set word full screen and wonder where everything went...