Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Question On Buying a Cable Modem

Old 01-27-01, 11:52 AM

I have Roadrunner service and would like to know if anyone that has it here has purchased a modem. And if so what kind. I still rent mine for $15 a month. I called Cox and they said I could buy the modem I have for $250 and spread it out over 12 months. I don't know if that is worth it or not. Your opinions please.
Old 01-27-01, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Most of the people I have spoken to that have cable internet own the modem. I will probably buy the modem when I actually do get real cable internet. As of now, i'm using a dialup cable modem, and I have bought it from my isp.
Old 01-27-01, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

let me tell you the only reason I rent mine. I have had two of them, yes two blow up in the year I have had cable modem service. If you rent it, it is not your problem. If you own it, guwss what

I am not sure if I just have bad luck or what, but I am not buying one anytime soon. And yes I have a surge protector on my cable (panamax 1000+ with a coax in out supressor)

Other than that, buying one will end up being cheaper if you keep the service. So far the Toshiba modem is doing much much better than the first two RCA modems I had.
Old 01-27-01, 07:26 PM

I bought my cable modem, a Motorola and it is very good. I bought it about 2 years ago for Cnd $200 (that is US $130) and I never had a problem (I don't even have a coax protector). I am quite happy that I bought it because now my cable company sells/rents Samsung modems instead of Motorola (Samsung is crap IMO). I would have to pay Cnd $10 (US $6.75) per month to rent the modem and after 2 years the modem will be paid (And I can always sell it if I want) so that was a good deal IMO.

It depends of the brand but usually it is worth buying it. (I don't trust brands like Samsung, RCA, Zenith...)

They charge you $15 a month to rent the modem and they sell it for $250? I am happy with my $130 for the modem and $6.75 if you rent it . Is this the regular price Americans usually have to pay???
Old 01-27-01, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk God

i rent mine for sure.. for several reasons.. they do go bad, and when you rent, you can just go replace it.. also, my cable company switches us to newer modems when better ones are available.. in the past 2 years, I have been on 4 different types of modems, each one better then the last.
Old 01-27-01, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

quote:
Originally posted by 4KRG:
Other than that, buying one will end up being cheaper if you keep the service. So far the Toshiba modem is doing much much better than the first two RCA modems I had.

Which model is it? I'm using the Toshiba PCX1100 with no problems so far, after dealing with a POS 3COM Imac looking one. I'm going to continue renting, because the next cheap and fast technology could easily show up before the rental price tops the buying price.

------------------
"And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming..."
Have you played Atari today?
Old 01-27-01, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, my current one is the toshiba pcx1100. It is doing great and seems to be faster than the RCA crap I had before.

Old 01-28-01, 06:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 4KRG:
Yes, my current one is the toshiba pcx1100. It is doing great and seems to be faster than the RCA crap I had before.

I guess that I'm one of the lucky ones that missed the RCA junker. I have the Toshiba PCX1100 also. I'm also lucky as to being one of the first customers of the RR service and don't have to pay a rental charge or installation charge.

Man is this thing fast. My tests have all been around 4+Mb and I have used other sights as well. Some good test sights are:

http://speedtest.mybc.com/

http://www.dslreports.com/r3/dsl/stest

http://www.triad.rr.com/speed/speed.asp

http://msn.zdnet.com/partners/msn/ba.../speedtest.htm

------------------
Harman Kardon DVD50 DVD Player, AVR510 A/V Reciever.
Infinity Speakers: RS5 Towers, CC3 Center, BU2 Sub, RS3 Rears.
Sony KP-41T25 TV
Old 01-29-01, 08:26 PM

The one thing that I have missed with my dial-up, is the network icon that was next to my clock that looked like 2 monitors and would flash when info was downloading or being uploaded. If the page that I was on, stalled a little, I would just give the icon a little glance to see what was going on.

Is there anyway to have this icon when I boot up and to work with my Cable Modem?