Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Surfing the web on tv, but not webtv.

Old 01-29-01, 08:20 PM

Ok you're talking to a computer illiterate. I purchased my PC system 14mo. ago and would like to start surfing the web while in the comfort of my recliner.

I have a VooDoo 3500 card with tv out. Can anyone explain how I can hook it up to the tv and what do I need to do to set this up internally? Which wireless keyboard would you recommend?
Old 02-13-01, 05:35 PM

C'mon somebody here has got to be of some help on this one.

Also, All of the wireless keyboards that i've been looking at, only have a 2 meters range. My recliner is approximately 15ft from my PC and If any of you know of a wireless keyboard with that kind of range let me know.

Old 02-13-01, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The best ones down here are Logitech. They have a good range but I think you might be pushing it to get 15 feet dude.
Old 02-13-01, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cordless keyboards/mice aren't really intended for long-range use, they're more for people who don't want cords trailing all over their desks. What you could do, though, is get like a keyboard/monitor extension box (not sure where or how much, sorry, but I know I've seen them around...) and set it up so that the actual cordless receiver is, say, on your coffee table or whatever.

Also bear in mind that you'll get a completely crap picture resolution on your TV, which will probably really hurt your eyes if you try and do anything "proper" on it; TV-Out cards are only really useful for playing games through, you just can't get the resolution you need on a TV to run proper apps.
Old 02-15-01, 05:14 PM

I currently surf the web with my HTPC... I have a 56" HDTV accepting 960x540 resolution and I use the VGA output of my video card to an Audio Authority digital component converter box.. I sit about 9 ft from the TV and use the Logitech cordless keyboard and mouse.. It's been 6 months now since I got the KB and mouse and I haven't changed the batteries yet!

Doing it on such a big screen is an eye strain sometimes and the white pages seems to make my eyes tire quickly... One of my friends tried the same but used the s-video out on his video card to a regular NTSC TV and the results weren't that great... The picture was not crystal clear like mine.. He was very disappointed..

good luck,
--mike