Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Installing DSL Modem

Old 01-27-01, 06:23 PM

I am in the process of ordering DSL and they give you an option of installing the modem yourself. Is it easy to do, because they charge $150 if you want them to install it. Also, I was going with Earthlink DSL. Does anyone have advice they can give me about ordering from Earthlink?

Thanks
Old 01-27-01, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't have a DSL, but if you ask me, it's not much harder than setting up a home network or something. You just need to have what you need like NIC, hub and the modem... the rest is basically just knowing the settings (Ip's and that stuff). If they can give you what you need and you save money, I say do it yourself or get a computer savvy friend to do it.
Old 01-27-01, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's probably internal if it's free, which makes it real easy you just plug it into the pci slot. As far as the addresses and what not you will get all that, and just feed it in while installing the software. That was at least it for Qwest but I'm sure it's close to the same as Earthlink. Plus if you screw it up they can talk you through it on the phone which is still better then 150.

------------------
"You call this a soccer riot."
Old 01-28-01, 11:38 AM

Thanks guys, I just ordered and opted for the self installation. I'm sure if I can't figure it out, I can bug my brother-in-law who could help.
Old 01-28-01, 08:45 PM

I have DSL and it takes only a few minutes to set up. Just connect the DSL modem to the ethernet card, plug the phone line to the DSL modem, and insert the DSL filters on all your phones. That's all there is to it. By the way, what is the download speed for Earthlink?

------------------
DVD wanderer
Old 01-28-01, 11:41 PM

quote:
originally posted by Kenshin:
By the way, what is the download speed for Earthlink?

On their site they claim they have download speeds of UP TO 1.5 Mbps, but I think I would probably only get up tp 768Kbps. Since my service is not activated yet, I really don't know what speed I would get. I'll let you know when I'm all hooked up.
Old 01-29-01, 02:10 PM

Make sure you download some registry tweaks to make your downloads go faster after you install your DSL. My download speed tests went from ~800 kbps to ~1100 kbps.