Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

external network ?

Old 01-28-01, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was wondering which was better as an external network card for a laptop. I was kind of looking at the 3com usb one which is 60 at Outpost this would be nice ebcause then it wouldn't take up my pcmcia slot. And there is a pcmcia D-Link for 50. Is there a disadvantage to using eiher of these I think the extra 10 is worth the convenience, but is it a lot slower this will be used for broadband connection so I don't want to be wasting the bandwidth. Also the 3com only is compatible with win98 so I might try to get one that does other OS's to.

------------------
"You call this a soccer riot."
Old 01-29-01, 02:03 PM

Brand wise I think you should just go what you are comfortable/familiar with. I have used a linksys USB ethernet adaptor and was somewhat impressed, and it was cheap too. Both adaptors should be simliar in speeds.

USB in its nature will work with fewer Os's. I believe Win98/ME/2000 will work fine. NT will not work at all with USB devices. Win95 OSR2 has some, but not much support.