Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Help with my ATI All in wonder 128 Pro

Old 01-28-01, 11:23 PM

I have the ATI All in wonder 128 Pro, and when I record stuff from my video input, it outputs ridiculously large AVI (30 minutes =gig)files. I want to record a couple of seinfeld episodes (2 or 3) on a CDR at TV quality, what kind of software will be able to recognize my card, and record at compressed MPEG quality like TIVO and ReplayTV use. With those recording devices, 1 hour is about 1 gig if I'm not mistaken. Any suggestions would be great, especially if you are familiar with this card.

I use windows 2000 pro

The card doesn't support TV out in this version of windows, anyone know when the updated software willl address this issue?

[This message has been edited by adamstorch (edited January 28, 2001).]
Old 01-28-01, 11:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adamstorch:
I have the ATI All in wonder 128 Pro, and when I record stuff from my video input, it outputs ridiculously large AVI (30 minutes =gig)files. I want to record a couple of seinfeld episodes (2 or 3) on a CDR at TV quality, what kind of software will be able to recognize my card, and record at compressed MPEG quality like TIVO and ReplayTV use. With those recording devices, 1 hour is about 1 gig if I'm not mistaken. Any suggestions would be great, especially if you are familiar with this card.

I use windows 2000 pro

The card doesn't support TV out in this version of windows, anyone know when the updated software willl address this issue?

[This message has been edited by adamstorch (edited January 28, 2001).]

You can compress your movies using MPEG-1 to make a VCD (1 CDR ~ 74 min of video). Most DVD players (I am talking about standalone unit, not computer DVD-Rom) will read VCDs (but many players cannot read CDRs). You can also you have codec called Divx that will allow you to have great image quality with a small file size, but you can only play them using a computer.

About the TVout... since it is ATI and it is not their lastest card I doubt they will release new drivers for Win2k.
Old 01-29-01, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have an All-In-Wonder Pro as well and I do utilize the TV out on it - go to their website and search for the latest drivers - the Windows 2000 drivers are not final releases (as of yet I think), but they work perfectly - I used them last night to play Diablo II on my TV

As for the recording of Video, you can change the recording quality to that of lower quality to save space, but what I would suggest (if you're not anti-Microsoft), is to record in high quality and then take the big file and compress it to Windows Media file - I figured with standard compression, I can get about 1/2 hour per 150 megs - not too bad - instead of the 100 megs/minute with the regular VCR output.

I rarely visit this section of the forum, so if you have any further questions regarding this issue, drop me an e-mail.

=Blake=
|

Old 01-29-01, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Without buying new hardware, about the only thing you can do is to record at full size and then recompress using a different codec. AVI is a real beast when it comes to file sizes, but since it's the least compressed, it's easy for a video card to output. You can get plug-in hardware based decoders (like this one) which are specifically designed for recording compressed MPEG video, but they are pricey. If you've got a spare gigabyte of hard disk space, then you're better off just recording as an AVI and then converting that into the file type you want.

------------------
Logic Made Easy
God is love. Love is blind. Ray Charles is blind. Therefore, Ray Charles is God.

AIM: TheyCallHimJim
MSN: [email protected]