Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Screen captures using DVDROM drive?

Old 01-27-01, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is it possible to get a screen capture of particular scenes using a DVDROM drive? If so, how? Also, if it is possible, would the pics look good printed out, or is the resolution too low for print?

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-27-01, 04:41 PM
Cool New Member

Depends on the player (not the drive).

If you got a player with a manual (like Creative's one) have a look in there - there should be a hotkey for screen capture, which will either be saved to the clipboard or to a folder on the hard disk.

In software (free) players, I dunno but there may be a shortcut somewhere - looking at WinDVD i cant find one though.

And about pritning out : dunno, never tried it.

[This message has been edited by Sputnik (edited January 27, 2001).]
Old 01-27-01, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://www.3dfiles.com/utility/hypersnapdx.shtml

------------------
Wayne Campbell: I once thought I had mono for an entire year, It turned out I was just really bored.
-- Waynes World
That's Unemployed_Andrew in #dvdtalk and #other to you!
AIM: CKMorpheus
Old 01-27-01, 06:39 PM

If you use WinDVD: press "p" and it will make a screen shot.

If you use PowerDVD there is a button on the control pad for a screen shot (I don't remember the shortcut)
Old 01-28-01, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've also been trying to get screen captures of my DVDs, but whenever I try to paste the screen capture in Photoshop or Windows Paint program, I get an empty dark green screen w/o the picture. Does this have to do with the DVD being copy protected? Is there a workaround for this? I tried using the program (the one linked from a couple of posts above) to capture, but I still have the same problem.
Old 01-28-01, 03:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Autotelik:
I've also been trying to get screen captures of my DVDs, but whenever I try to paste the screen capture in Photoshop or Windows Paint program, I get an empty dark green screen w/o the picture. Does this have to do with the DVD being copy protected? Is there a workaround for this? I tried using the program (the one linked from a couple of posts above) to capture, but I still have the same problem.

Try using WinDVD or PowerDVd, you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 01-28-01, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for your help, but I am actually using WinDVD 2000. I paused the DVD, hit alt+prtscreen, and pasted the capture into photoshop. I get the frame pasted, but it is blank and there's no picture. I also tried to capture by pressing 'p' and that didn't work.

Do you mind going through what you do exactly to get your screen captures to work?
Old 01-28-01, 09:26 PM
Stealth Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by CKMorpheus:
http://www.3dfiles.com/utility/hypersnapdx.shtml

the software works okay ... except that you get their logo on the top left corner unless you buy a registration ...

------------------
DEFENDER OF THE OTHER FORUM
what's your job at the other forum?
Old 01-28-01, 10:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Autotelik:
Thanks for your help, but I am actually using WinDVD 2000. I paused the DVD, hit alt+prtscreen, and pasted the capture into photoshop. I get the frame pasted, but it is blank and there's no picture. I also tried to capture by pressing 'p' and that didn't work.

Do you mind going through what you do exactly to get your screen captures to work?

When you are in WinDVD, you simply press "p". Then go to the capture directory (default is: C:\Program Files\InterVideo\WinDVD\Capture). You should have a .bmp file called capXXX.bmp (where XXX are digits). You don't have to paste in a photo editor because it won't work. When you press "p" WinDVD itself will make a picture file.
Old 01-28-01, 10:22 PM

To make myself clear: When pressing "p" it will not save the "picture" in the clipboard, it will MAKE a picture file. So all you have to do is open the .bmp file to see it(and you can save it as a .jpg for example if you want).

My guess is that you probably already have a bunch of pictures in the capture dir but you didn't know they were there and tried to paste them in a photo editor

I hope this helps
Old 02-11-01, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I tried using hypersnap and I am only getting the blank window. When I run the window over the DVD window then something appears in it, but all it is capturing is a black space where the DVD picture is.

Am I using it wrong?

~Scheherazade