Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Need advice to damage my cpu....

Old 01-25-01, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am looking for information or advice on problems that can cause a cpu to need repair. Without going into too much of the details, I am nearing the end of my sevice contract on my cpu. It had caused me numerous problems over the last 4 months. Any kind of hardware problem that can be duplicated at the store will suffice. I have had the video card, sound card, cd-rom drive and hard drive replaced. You can e-mail me a link or advice if you don't want to post it here.
Old 01-25-01, 09:07 PM
X
Administrator

Are you the guy who earlier mentioned the car battery thing?

Are you sure just a dead CPU, which can be easily replaced, is enough? How about blowing out the PCI bus?
Old 01-25-01, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The one and only. I never did the car battery thing. So are you serious about the PCI Bus? How does one go about that and what exactly does that do?
Old 01-25-01, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk God

try a soldering iron on a few key circuits
Old 01-25-01, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
mess with the voltage/clock setting in bios and take off the cooling fan. Or download and then run the bios flash utility from in windows instead of dos.

*DISCLAIMER* Both of these will ruin a computer. The bios one will fry the bios immediately, the voltage one will take a while but will eventually burn out a cpu

------------------
"I'm overworked but I'm undersexed" -Garbage 'Hammering In My Head'
Old 01-25-01, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quote:
Originally posted by mikehunt:
mess with the voltage/clock setting in bios and take off the cooling fan. Or download and then run the bios flash utility from in windows instead of dos.

*DISCLAIMER* Both of these will ruin a computer. The bios one will fry the bios immediately, the voltage one will take a while but will eventually burn out a cpu

I did a search of bios in Google, but only came up with Celebrity bio's. Where can I find the location of bios and will either of your suggestions appear as normal wear and tear, or will it look like customer abuse?

Old 01-25-01, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One other thing you might try: Open up your computer and unplug it from the mains. Now, you remember when you were little and you shuffled around the carpet so you could give your friends static shocks? Do that. Zap the sh*t out of your computer with static electricity, and it should kill some of the more important components pretty easily...
Old 01-25-01, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
during bootup press delete or F1 or whatever key is listed as bringing up the setup menu. This will allow you to change the bios settings for the processor speed/voltage. It's possible that they may check this when fixing your PC, in which case they might figure out what you were up to. The bios update can be found on the website for your motherboard. This would probably by undetectable by the repair people, just run the flash program off of a floppy so that it isn't on your harddrive where they could find it.

quote:
Originally posted by POWERBOMB:
I did a search of bios in Google, but only came up with Celebrity bio's. Where can I find the location of bios and will either of your suggestions appear as normal wear and tear, or will it look like customer abuse?

------------------
"I'm overworked but I'm undersexed" -Garbage 'Hammering In My Head'
Old 01-25-01, 10:11 PM
X
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by POWERBOMB:

This a classic! I just want to archive it. Nevermind me.
Old 01-25-01, 10:14 PM
X
Administrator

How about taking a saltwater fish out of its tank and letting him flop around on the motherboard for a while while the power is on? Use a fish you like to eat just in case. Then, after the damage is done, brush off the excess salt and return the computer. And enjoy your meal.
Old 01-26-01, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk God

flash it with any bios then the one for that board.. it wont ever come up again
Old 01-26-01, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

wow, the toys I use for PC destruction appear to be a thing of the past

Anyone use discwasher products on records? remember the "zero stat gun"? It was a small red plastic gun that shot an electric pulse with an opposite charge of most static that would appear on records. The + and - charges would cancel each other. Anyway it would seem discwasher is still in business (http://www.discwasher.com) but they no longer have this cool device. If you shoot it at any pc component from close range it will zap it and no one can tell what really happenend.

The second device that was really fun was a bulk tape eraser from the shack.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=44%2D233

But it says that this may no longer be available Mine is old and puts aout enough magnetic froce to blow away a VHS tape from over a foot away. Needless to say this causes some major damage to a motherboard from 1" away while the mobo is running

Some other good ones include paperclips/water on a running motherboard, but with this one you risk the damage being visible.

DO NOT USE THE CAR BATTERY METHOD, THAT IS JUST STUPID!

I also had a video card that could short a motherboard in a second, I was never sure exactly what was wrong with it

Another good one that most techs would never notice is done on surface mounted chips. Just push a couple of the legs together around the chip and turn it on (caution: sparks may fly).

You can also take the motherboard out and use a fine razor to slice through a couple of the traces on the bottom of the board. Most techs will never notice and if you do it right (only cut the trace nad not the board around it) you can not even se it unless you know where it is.

The reason I know all these wonderful things is I use to deal with JUNK computers that would never run right, but since they would power on and appear to run no one would ever want to replace them. Companies like packard bell, need I say more?

This was just off the top of my head, give me time and I can post many many more
Old 01-27-01, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thank for the info guys...I am going to research all your suggestions and if I'm successful, I'll let you know.
Old 01-27-01, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If it has a heatsink/fan, unplug the fan, and try to leave the PC on for days until the CPU is fried.

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs

[This message has been edited by Patman (edited January 27, 2001).]
Old 01-28-01, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quote:
Originally posted by Patman:
If it has a heatsink/fan, unplug the fan, and try to leave the PC on for days until the CPU is fried.

Actually, the last in-home tech who put in my new hard drive discovered that the fan was not plugged in. The last time I had the cpu repaired was in Sept. 2000. Sadly, the cpu did not fry.

Old 02-15-01, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by mikehunt

Well I have tried a few of the items you guys said...I finally tried several downloaded bios flash but nothing has worked. I am sure I am missing something, but I followed all the instructions (even opened in windows instead of DOS), but nothing has worked.

Does anyone have any other ideas?
Old 02-15-01, 08:29 PM

Take the fan off, then overclock the cpu to the max the board can handle and run a program that utilizes a lot of processor.
Old 02-15-01, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by POWERBOMB

Does anyone have any other ideas?
Are you flashing the "CORRECT" BIOS for your motherboard?

If you are try an incorrect one and just ignore the warnings, that will do it.

If your awdflash (award bios writer) software will not let you override the 'incorect BIOS' warning, then download AWDFLASH from a different motherboard manufacturers web site. Example, if you have a TYAN motherboard, download the flash utility from ASUS and a random bios and flash away.

or better yet let a legit BIOS upgrade go 50% and pull the power cord

[Edited by 4KRG on 02-15-01 at 06:47 PM]
Old 02-18-01, 02:53 AM

why don't you just take out the cpu and stick it in the dishwasher... They will never be able to tell... and if that doesn't kill it don't know what will.
Old 02-19-01, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

REJOICE! I have finally trashed my cpu.

I traded it in for an HP and had them trade out the cd-rom for the TDK CD-Recorder I had previously bought for the crappy cpu.

So thank you to everyone who had given me ideas on this thread.

In case you were wondering, I went to the lowest denomiator and just paid someone to trash it.