Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

WOO HOO!!! ...I'M BACK!!!!!!!

Old 01-27-01, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
WHEW, the last week or so was Hell!!

I moved to a new house, so my computer had to be disabled for a couple days, then I ordered WinME(Full Edition), had to wait for an upgrade installation disc from Verizon( ), and here I am baby!!! My DSL is working better than ever!!

I did get my floppy drive to work...I bought a new drive, but still had the same error message...later, I found out it was the ribbon cable.

...anyhow, the question(finally)-

When I check my sys config., it's telling me that I'm running a 938MHz processor instead of a 933. Am I overclocked???

------------------
The above statement is MY opinion, and in no way is DVDTalk, or any of it's affiliates, responsible for the views that I have posted here.

[email protected]
My Tracker list!
BAN NETWORK TV!!
...I'm not wearing any pants!!!!
"If I hear one more noise in here, I'm crackin' skulls!"

[This message has been edited by dvdsteve2000 (edited January 27, 2001).]
Old 01-27-01, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

steve glad your are back, I thought you fried yourself

Figures it was the damn cable first rule of computer repair, check the cheapest part first (or check the 34 cents cables)

depends on what you are using to check your speed. Download this utility from intel and see what it has to say.

http://support.intel.com/support/pro...s/frequencyid/

intel developed this so end users could tell if they bought a machine that was overclocked without them knowing. (theif retailer sells an overclocked 600 as a real 933 or something, it happend often)
Old 01-28-01, 02:46 AM
X
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by dvdsteve2000:
When I check my sys config., it's telling me that I'm running a 938MHz processor instead of a 933. Am I overclocked???

With that hugh increase in speed you better make sure you're cooling that sucker properly! Now you are "cool" and can tell everybody you're an overclocker!
Old 01-28-01, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I know that some motherboard companies slightly overclock systems by changing the fsb by a little. i know my asus board p3v4x slightly increases the vcore power and slightly overclocks the system bus. it allows the board to slightly outscore the other motherboard companies boards on some benchmarks. and i mean slight
I agree with X. Cooling is the answer for your system. i would pull off the stock heatsink and fan and put on an Alpha and also get a better power supply.Now lets look at your memory
Old 01-28-01, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
quote:
Originally posted by X:
With that hugh increase in speed you better make sure you're cooling that sucker properly! Now you are "cool" and can tell everybody you're an overclocker!

Now I know you're jaggin' me here, but I was concerned about this. I didn't know if that meant that I had some kind of setting wrong, or what???? I'm not sure if you were jaggin' me about the temp also, but my machine WAS running hot, so I added another fan.
Old 01-28-01, 03:09 PM
X
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by dvdsteve2000:
I'm not sure if you were jaggin' me about the temp also, but my machine WAS running hot, so I added another fan.

You're right -- I was jaggin' you about it all. The temp wouldn't have changed because of that phenomenally high reading. But you are wise to have added more cooling.