Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

How to Ping/Traceroute on Macs?

Old 01-28-01, 12:41 AM

Ok. Someone here must have a Mac. Show yourself. I'm trying to do a little long distance troubleshooting for someone. How do you do a ping or traceroute on these things?..And I mean a native app/command installed w/OS not a third party app. Do these things even have a CLI?

Mayniac
Old 01-28-01, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did you search?

I prefer AGNetTools, an excellent professional suite of internet utilities. They are now known as WildPackets and this product is now called iNetTools. If you work in Mac and NT environments, you can use it in both.
http://www.wildpackets.com/products/inettools

WhatRoute is common and free, and IPNetMonitor is popular. And many UNIX utilites have been ported to Mac and are also available. Here is the return at TuCows:
http://NetFX-2000.mac.tucows.com/itoolsmac.html

------------------
My DVD Library
Old 01-28-01, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oops, I just noticed that you want to do this from the OS? Not sure why, but that's not going toi happen unless you are running a server OS. Everything I directed you to is third party. Why don't you want to use a third party app? What's the difference if Apple wrote it or a third party who writes dedicated network software? I'd prefer to have the later.

BTW, I believe OS X will include this type of utility. I'll prob delete it.

------------------
My DVD Library
Old 01-28-01, 04:05 AM

Bummer. Thanks Reverb for the response. I guess the 3rd party route is the way to go. Connection is spotty at best on their end so I wanted an internal command if possible, which in this case is not. I have a feeling nothing's wrong with the machine and it's hosed on the ISP's end.

Mayniac