Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Questions/Problems With My DVD-ROM

Old 01-26-01, 11:12 AM
Cool New Member

OK, my PC came with WinDVD 2000 installed, I have since downloaded PowerDVD, now the discs always played fine in either program, but after moving, the discs pixelate and the film seems to lurch/jerk along, so does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be? I'd really appreciate any help that might be offered.

------------------
And on the eighth day...God created Hammer!
Old 01-27-01, 12:22 PM
Cool New Member

Try fiddling around with the display properties (Properties icon --> Display tab in WinDVD) - maybe Hardware Motion Compensation will do something...

Also, it could just be that the RAM is full, in which case restarting should fix it. How much RAM do you have? Anything less than 128MB and this could be the problem.
Old 01-27-01, 04:54 PM
Cool New Member

I've got the display properties, but can't do anything once inside! Hardware Motion Compensation is checked, if that means anything, but I don't seem to have the ability to actually change anything in there, and I do have 128MB of RAM.

------------------
Old 01-27-01, 10:49 PM

Do you have dma turned on in Windows? Check out http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/support/speedup.html
for how to do this. Good luck.
Old 01-28-01, 01:04 AM
Cool New Member

DMA is checked. I've been told that the *eye* may be misaligned? Not sure how this would have happened, as the DVDs all played fine in the beginning. I appreciate the suggestions that have been offered and if anyone can think of anything else to try, I'd certainly appreciate it!

------------------