DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Tech Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk-10/)
-   -   Latest Wireless Routers? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk/570779-latest-wireless-routers.html)

TheBigDave 03-13-10 12:53 PM

Latest Wireless Routers?

Can anyone school me on the latest wireless routers?

I'm looking at the Linksys WRT610N. It's a Dual-N router and seems to get the best reviews. It fits all my current needs and I'm ready to buy.

I'm a little concerned that it came out in 2008. Is there something new around the corner? Is this still the best Linksys router? Should I be looking at something else?

I don't mind waiting a month or two if something better is about to be released.

Thanks.

BartleyR7 03-13-10 06:14 PM

Re: Latest Wireless Routers?

I went through the wireless router purchase routine last during the summer of last year. Like you, I read all of the great reviews about the WRT610N, so I picked one up at the local computer store. I was replacing an older Linksys WRT54G (a great router, but I was looking to upgrade to 802.11n). The router is located upstairs on one end of the house, and we mainly use it on the other end of the house downstairs (PS3, Wii, and laptops). While the WRT54G provided great signal to the entire house, I had a terrible experience with the WRT610N. Even after trying various configurations, I could barely get it to register 40% signal strength in our primary usage area. This meant that streaming media to the PS3 was virtually impossible.

After giving it a few days and (like I said earlier) trying every possible configuration (even no security/encryption), I was disappointed to the point where I returned the router and picked up a D-Link DIR-825 (Amazon link). I didn't change the location of the router, and now I was getting great signal strength throughout the house (and even in our large back yard).

I have used many Linksys routers (including the WRT54G), and I was just very disappointed with the WRT610N. I'm not saying that your experiences will be parallel mine; clearly this router must work for a large number of people. However, for our needs, it just didn't work. Some speculate that it has something to do with the WRT610N's internal antennas, but I don't think that is the cause. Personally, I think that there were just too many barriers (walls, floor/ceiling, other electronic devices) interfering combined with a (possible) lower power output by the WRT610N for it to stream video (SD and HD alike) throughout the house.

Home routers have always been kind of hit-or-miss, so my best recommendation would be to buy somewhere that has a nice return policy so you don't get burned. I know that probably isn't what you wanted to hear, but it's my personal experience.

(As an aside, I hadn't used any D-Link products before this router, so I was very skeptical of its performance. I couldn't be happier with this router. It allows me to do everything the WRT610N does, and I even think the Web-based interface is better than the Linksys. It was also a little cheaper at the time, so that made me happy.)

TheBigDave 03-14-10 10:29 PM

Thanks for the info. I've seen a lot of reviewers with the same problems that you experienced.

I'm also upgrading from the WRT54G. I've decided to stick with Linksys, because I'm familiar with their software, and I've been pretty satisfied with their products so far. Amazon has a good return policy and if it doesn't work out, I'll return it and try out the D-Link.

One of my biggest concerns, is that the Linksys router was released almost 2 years ago. I don't want to shell out $150 for a router and a new/better version is announced the next day. But so far I haven't seen any indication that something new is on the horizon.

BartleyR7 03-15-10 12:28 AM

I do not know of anything newer coming soon. If anything, the last time I researched this, I think I remember the 802.11n draft becoming an actual standard. However, that shouldn't impact your decision.

In regards to the 610N, yeah, I read some of those reviews as well. Some I blame on poor/incorrect configuration by the user. The dual-band routers naturally have some more settings. However, being very familiar with network topography, I can attest that incorrect settings were not my issue. It just wouldn't work throughout the house (especially the 5GHz band).

Good luck with it! If it works for you, it's a good router!

Brian Shannon 03-15-10 08:21 AM

I bought the 610N and have been very pleased with it.

My setup was easy and my speeds are very stable and slightly increased from my previous router