Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Video card suggestions

Old 01-27-01, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

On my small upgrade, i'm also planning to add a new video card since i'm using an old 4meg Asus card with an 8 meg Monster II card. I'd like something that's good for games that's 200$ or less US. I don't need capture, tv out or all that jazz since my Asus has that and I can always leave it in there. Any suggestions? I'm thinking that a GeForce MX would fit nicely in my pricerange, but since i'm looking for nothing more than a gaming card, there might be a GeForce 2 in that price. And yeah, if you're wondering, I will be ordering online unless I get a price match in town.

I'm also looking at Voodoo5500, are those still worth it sindce NVidia bought them out?
Old 01-27-01, 12:19 PM

I found a dirt cheap Voodoo 5500... I will probably buy it unless someone tells me otherwise. Please let me know if I should or shouldn't.

Thank you
Old 01-27-01, 12:26 PM
Cool New Member

You have to be careful that the processor is up to the standards of the video card. What CPU is it / will it be? Either the VooDoo 5500 or the GeForece MX are fine cards, and i wouldn't worry too much about the demise of 3dfx concerning future drivers support.

But you'll need a decent CPU for either card, something like 500MHz maybe.
Old 01-27-01, 12:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sputnik:
You have to be careful that the processor is up to the standards of the video card. What CPU is it / will it be? Either the VooDoo 5500 or the GeForece MX are fine cards, and i wouldn't worry too much about the demise of 3dfx concerning future drivers support.

But you'll need a decent CPU for either card, something like 500MHz maybe.

I was actually connecting to ask that question. I have a celeron 466 cpu, not overclocked. I can always put it to 500 if I have to.
Old 01-27-01, 12:44 PM
Cool New Member

My only expertise coming from owning a number of video cards over the years, I would recommend a TNT2 to go with that processor. Having said that, new voodoos or geforces will be fine, they'll just not run at full capacity.

Seeing as you can get a voodoo 5500 cheaply, you'd probably want to go for that. Just avoid Full Screen Anti Aliasing, high resolutions and high texture resolutions and you should be fine. As you said, you can always overclock - Celerons are some of the best chips for o/c-ing.
Old 01-27-01, 12:46 PM

Since the Voodoo5 is still a not-so-old card and there won't be any new drivers released, I wouldn't buy one. But if you find them for a good price it MAY still be worth it.
Old 01-27-01, 12:50 PM
Cool New Member

quote:
Originally posted by Real Boba Fett:
Since the Voodoo5 is still a not-so-old card and there won't be any new drivers released, I wouldn't buy one. But if you find them for a good price it MAY still be worth it.

I'm not sure about the stability of this model, but all the Voodoo's i've had have not required driver updates.

The possibility of no driver support in teh future is off-putting, but i'm pretty sure that i heard a department of NVidia will be covering this.

So my vote: go for the Voodoo 5500.
Old 01-27-01, 01:02 PM

No more replies are necessary as I have purchased the Voodoo 5 5500. It was the card I wanted most anyhow. I've been using a voodoo 2 for over 3 years now and have never had any problems.
Old 01-27-01, 03:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sputnik:
I'm not sure about the stability of this model, but all the Voodoo's i've had have not required driver updates.

The possibility of no driver support in teh future is off-putting, but i'm pretty sure that i heard a department of NVidia will be covering this.

So my vote: go for the Voodoo 5500.

I have a Voodoo2 and with new drivers (they released up to DirectX7 optimized drivers, no DirectX8 though), the performance of the card (speed) was always improved (specially with the new drivers that were optimized for a new release of DirectX). Stability may not be a problem (except for a minority of games, but usally it is corrected with a patch for the game instead of new drivers) but performance could be better. As I said, if you have it for a good price, it may be good.
Old 01-27-01, 03:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Real Boba Fett:
As I said, if you have it for a good price, it may be good.

It was 275$ Cdn... which is about as good as it gets for this card. Most places sell the pci version more expensive than this. Buy.com is having the final sale for the card, so both AGP and PCI are 275$ and the Voodoo 4500 are both 201$.

To compare, Futureshop has the AGP 5500 for 449$ and the pci for something like 329$
Old 01-27-01, 06:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Feneant:
It was 275$ Cdn... which is about as good as it gets for this card. Most places sell the pci version more expensive than this. Buy.com is having the final sale for the card, so both AGP and PCI are 275$ and the Voodoo 4500 are both 201$.

To compare, Futureshop has the AGP 5500 for 449$ and the pci for something like 329$

It's a good deal.