Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Program to test ram speed

Old 01-27-01, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I need to know the bus speed of my ram. I'm planning a small upgrade and I think I have a DIMM running at 66 cause it's about 3-4 years old. I'd also like to know seek time and the other usual info. I looked by couldn't find a program to test this.
Old 01-27-01, 12:16 PM
Cool New Member

Have a look in the BIOS (hit delete as the PC starts up).

Look for the "FSB" (front side bus) or "RAM bus speed" or something like that.
Old 01-27-01, 12:31 PM

I can't find any ram bus speed anywhere, and the fsb is at 66 but i'm the one to set it to that so not sure if it means ram is 66 or not.
Old 01-27-01, 12:40 PM
Cool New Member

Thats it - the RAM will be running at 66MHz.

The FSB is what the motherboard runs at, so the RAM does too. The processor also runs at this FSB, but has a multiplier - X times Y equals the clock speed (600MHx, 200MHz or whatever). The PCI and AGP cards ALSO run at this speed, but they too have a sort of multiplier, which downscales the speed to a more manageable size (typically multipliers of 1/3 or 1/4).

If you can set the FSB that's good news - you can overclock the system. But thats a different subject
Old 01-27-01, 12:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sputnik:

If you can set the FSB that's good news - you can overclock the system. But thats a different subject

I assumed setting the FSB was basically overclocking the system?? So what your saying is my ram does indeed run at 66? Well... since it's so cheap, I'll order myself another 64 to replace the slow one.
Old 01-27-01, 12:47 PM
Cool New Member

Yes, changing the FSB is overclocking.

And yes, the RAM is running at 66MHz.

And yes, it is worth getting some faster RAM (100MHz or 133MHz, very little price difference between the two). Although whatever speed the RAM is advertised at, the speed it'll run at is the FSB - so theres no point getting faster RAM and leaving it at 66MHz.
Old 01-27-01, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Feneant

you can also look at the chips on the dimm itself, if you feel like taking the memory out. If I remember correctly, something like a -10 near the end then it is 66mhz ram, -8 would be 100, -7 would be 133. These numbers are the minimum nanosecond rating on the chips. Many will run faster than rated.
Old 01-27-01, 02:46 PM

Ok... now I need help. I changed FSB to 100 and pc clock at 4.5 * 100, so underclocked, saved and exit and now I have nothing. Screen is black and I can't do jack. could this be something to do with the ram running at 66 causing this? I used to have this problem a while back... Any solution, or did I fry something? It was working up until I changed the FSB and clock speed.

Wow fixed that and what a friggin hassle that was. I removed the dimm I suspected was causing the problem but it still wouldn't boot up. Then I remembered, I took out DIMM 0 and left 2 only so of course it wouldn't work. So I changed DIMM 2 to DIMM 0 and now it works again at a 100 fbs. I probably won't put in the other DIMM again since it's the biggest bitch to shove in there. We had to get 2 of us to push it in the last time, it's badly made or something. I'll order myself a 128 meg DIMM tonight but I still wonder for one thing though. 4KRG, I noticed that both my dimms say -10 on them... does that mean I have slow sh*t ram? Cause one of the dimms is a 66 and the other seems to be a 100 since it works, but what's with the crap seek time??

[This message has been edited by Feneant (edited January 27, 2001).]

Old 01-27-01, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

quote:
Originally posted by Feneant:
Ok... now I need help. I changed FSB to 100 and pc clock at 4.5 * 100, so underclocked, saved and exit and now I have nothing. Screen is black and I can't do jack. could this be something to do with the ram running at 66 causing this? I used to have this problem a while back... Any solution, or did I fry something? It was working up until I changed the FSB and clock speed.

You bastard, I spent ages typing a response to your other thread and you just deleted it!

Anyway: When you mess up setting like clock speeds, sometimes it messes things up so bad that your computer can't even make it to POST. So, what you must do is reset the BIOS to its default configuration. Look on your motherboard; somewhere or other, there should be a jumper which lets you reset your BIOS. If you're lucky it'll be labelled as such. Find this jumper and put it to the "Reset" position, leave it for ten seconds or so, and put it back to the normal position. If all goes well, it should reset all your clock speeds etc. back to their default values, allowing your computer to boot again.

Sometimes when you do this, you get a "BIOS Checksum Error" message on bootup; this is just because what the BIOS thinks it should be set to doesn't tally with what's actually set, so you need to just go into BIOS, save the settings and reboot; this should solve everything. Of course if you've implemented any strange and unusual performance-enhancing measures in your BIOS, they'll all be lost when you clear the BIOS memory, but it's a small price to pay...

------------------
Logic Made Easy
God is love. Love is blind. Ray Charles is blind. Therefore, Ray Charles is God.

AIM: TheyCallHimJim
MSN: [email protected]
Old 01-27-01, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

-10 just means 10 nanosecond MAXIMUM response time, certified. That does not mean it won't run at 8 (faster), it just means they will not guarentee it.

It makes sense that one will and one won't, that is why both are marked -10, they will both run -10 guarenteed.

I have seen many quality pc66 dimms run at pc100 with no trouble, but there is no guarentee. With how cheap ram is now days, buy yourself some faster stuff
Old 01-27-01, 03:31 PM

ugh, another newbie trying to overclock w/o knowing any background info :sigh: Anyways, take a look in your motherboard manual. There should be something in the CPU setup section that tells you a combination of keys which you can press while the computer is booting up to automatically reset the values back to default so the computer will boot up normally. On my mobo (Abit BE-6), you can press the insert key while the computer is booting up. If that doesn't work, then yes, you fried something, but that's not very likely.
Old 01-27-01, 03:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Parsec:
ugh, another newbie trying to overclock w/o knowing any background info :sigh: Anyways, take a look in your motherboard manual. There should be something in the CPU setup section that tells you a combination of keys which you can press while the computer is booting up to automatically reset the values back to default so the computer will boot up normally. On my mobo (Abit BE-6), you can press the insert key while the computer is booting up. If that doesn't work, then yes, you fried something, but that's not very likely.

Newbie?? Yew... [sarcarm]I consider that a personnal insult![/sarcasm] is all I can say to that. I fixed the problem, asking here is just a way to get confirmation. Jim, I knew that, i've done a bios reset a few times. I also knew the insert thing, but it didn't work the first time. I did get it to work at a 100 bus, but it wouldn't boot half the time so I came back to my 66 until I get new ram at which point I'll go back to 100. Thanks for the help 4KRG, Sputnik and TheyCallHimJim, other guy I won't thank since he called me a newbie and with the tired attitude.