Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Hmmm... my DVD drive's messing me about...

Old 01-20-01, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Okay, when I put a disc into my DVD drive (Memorex DVD-632, unmodified in any way) it does one of several things, depending on which disc it is;
1) It recognises the disc normally. (Rare.)
2) It recognises the disc, but thinks it's blank.
3) It recognises the disc, acknowledges it's got files on it, but "misses" some or more of the files on the disc.
4) It pitches up an error message saying "The drive is not accessible; a device attached to the drive may not be working."
5) It thinks the disc is an audio CD.

Some discs work just fine, but it's always the same discs which give the same "type" of problem. Even more confusingly, a second drive which I've got as the secondary device on the same channel works perfectly!

I get the same problems in both Windows and MS-DOS, which makes me think it's a drive problem as opposed to a Windows driver problem. Short of flashing the firmware, I'm fresh out of ideas; before I resort to such measures, does anyone else have any bright ideas on the matter?

(Oh yes, and the drive worked fine up until I reinstalled Windows a few weeks back. In fact, I used the drive itself to install Windows from, which is what's even more puzzling!)

------------------
"I loooove Mozart! He was Austrian, you know?"

AIM: TheyCallHimJim
MSN: [email protected]
Old 01-20-01, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:

Some discs work just fine, but it's always the same discs which give the same "type" of problem

are the disks damaged in any way? (scratches) or do they work fine in other drives?

are all the problemed disks CDs or DVDs or a mix of both?

My first guess would be to say the drive is going bad (some type of laser issue, out of alignment maybe)

{caution smart arsed humor ahead}

quote:

I used the drive itself to install Windows from, which is what's even more puzzling!

Do you know what every piece of broken equipment in the world has in common?

it worked yesterday
Old 01-20-01, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

it does sound like it is failing. you could try uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them.
Old 01-20-01, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The discs themselves are fine, they all work perfectly in my other drive. And there doesn't seem to be any particular criteria about which discs it "likes" and "dislikes", except that it's the same discs that always fail in the sae way in that drive... I suppose it could just be that the drive itself is knackered, it just seems kinda weird that some discs work fine and others don't work at all... Hmm, back to the "playing around with all the settings I can find" for a while, methinks...

------------------
"I loooove Mozart! He was Austrian, you know?"

Old 01-20-01, 08:29 PM

If it was me, I would have gotten fed up and just buy a new DVD-rom.

It shouldn't be a driver problem. In the control panel it says no drivers are installed or are not needed in mine. Were the connections in the back all the way in?

I had this problem before trying to install drivers for my burner. I removed the drivers from the sysedit. (the drivers were not needed, I just wanted to see what would happen)

------------------
DVD wanderer
Old 01-27-01, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

FWIW, I actually pulled my finger out and got round to doing something about it. Zapped the firmware with a newer version, and it (seems to) work fine now. For some bizarre reason, Memorex don't actually have firmwares for their older models listed to download... but they are on the site, just not linked to! I eventually found a firmwares page somewhere else which had a link to a sub-directory of the Memorex drivers section of their own site, and found the one I needed. One flash and bingo, one working drive.

Now WHY would a company have the firmwares on their server, but not actually let you download them from anywhere on their tech support pages? If it's some sort of plot to try and make you upgrade your "old" (18 months old!!!) hardware, then it stinks...

------------------
Logic Made Easy
God is love. Love is blind. Ray Charles is blind. Therefore, Ray Charles is God.