Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Anybody still use 35mm cameras? Wondering if I should teach my kids about them.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 03-05-10, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would you buy a 35 mm camera for your grade-school or middle-school aged child so that they can learn about film? Or is the 35 mm camera like the slide rule, great while it lasted but the new technology (digital cameras) is so much better that there is no use in learning the old ways.

I'm seeing things like Canon Rebel 2000's for around $50 or $75 on eBay, and Canon AE-1 Program with extra lenses, etc. for around $75 or $100.

I already have a Canon AE-1 Program (but no extras) as well as a Yashika T4.
Old 03-05-10, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Anybody still use 35mm cameras? Wondering if I should teach my kids about them.

i see no reason for kids to learn on film anymore

there have been some occasions when we used 35mm in the past 10 years.. but only disposables
Old 03-05-10, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Anybody still use 35mm cameras? Wondering if I should teach my kids about them.

i was going to buy my son an ipod touch by the time he turns 3, but now i may buy him a Walkman and teach him to make his own tape mixes with a doubledeck tape player
Old 03-05-10, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
i was going to buy my son an ipod touch by the time he turns 3, but now i may buy him a Walkman and teach him to make his own tape mixes with a doubledeck tape player
I'm sure you were trying to make a joke about the tape player, but why would you buy your 3 year old son an iPod Touch? A bit expensive as a kids toy.
Old 03-05-10, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

he's already figured out how to use my iphone and he's only 2 1/2 as of today. obviously he doesn't know how to change settings, but i have 30 or so kids apps on mine that he uses. he knows how to open his podcasts, change podcasts, scroll through apps, which apps are his, open apps, close them, play with some settings in some apps, scroll though a list of returned YouTube videos, etc.

the kid's cartoons like Dora are cheaper on iTunes than DVD's so i was going to buy him a Touch so it has enough space for all his cartoons and i don't have to carry them on my iphone
Old 03-05-10, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm wondering what you would learn from a Film camera that you can't learn with a Digital other than actually developing the film yourself (which would be kinda neat). I'm thinking you could do that cheaper by taking a class.

http://escapesphoto.wordpress.com/20...pring-classes/
Old 03-05-10, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i wouldnt bother. unless you have a darkroom or plan on setting one up. if you want to teach them photography buy a digital camera that has manual mode. i have a canon s5 and it has alot of dslr features and you can pick one up for $200 on ebay. the s3 is good too and even cheaper.
Old 03-05-10, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts

I guess if you enjoy dropping of film and getting raped in development costs.
Old 03-05-10, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chino77 View Post
i wouldnt bother. unless you have a darkroom or plan on setting one up. if you want to teach them photography buy a digital camera that has manual mode. i have a canon s5 and it has alot of dslr features and you can pick one up for $200 on ebay. the s3 is good too and even cheaper.
Ditto. Get a digital camera with M mode. Have your kid learn the digital darkroom, which is Photoshop.
Old 03-05-10, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by zuffy View Post
Have your kid learn the digital darkroom, which is Photoshop.
or lightroom which i prefer. unless im doing some extreme manipulation.
Old 03-05-10, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
he's already figured out how to use my iphone and he's only 2 1/2 as of today. obviously he doesn't know how to change settings, but i have 30 or so kids apps on mine that he uses. he knows how to open his podcasts, change podcasts, scroll through apps, which apps are his, open apps, close them, play with some settings in some apps, scroll though a list of returned YouTube videos, etc.

the kid's cartoons like Dora are cheaper on iTunes than DVD's so i was going to buy him a Touch so it has enough space for all his cartoons and i don't have to carry them on my iphone
I don't doubt he can use it. iPhone's/iPod's have simple interfaces. But it's $200+. Are toys for little children typically that much?
Old 03-05-10, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

it's the same price or cheaper when you add up all the crap people buy kids over time from Toys R Us. it's just a higher initial investment and cheap app prices. Toys R Us everything seems overpriced. if he was a little older i'd jailbreak it with him and have him learn to hack it

there are a ton of cheap educational apps that beat anything you find in Toys R Us or Baby Einstein and it's a good way to expose kids to computers at an early age. I tried to show the mouse but he doesn't understand it yet. He did figure out that you can select/click parts of websites to make movies play or go to another part of the website and he just points to whatever he wants me to click on.

The Thomas the Tank Engine app came out a few weeks ago and lately it's his favorite. he likes doing the puzzles.
Old 03-05-10, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I started on film and it has made me a better digital camera photographer because with film you have to get it right in the camera or you have wasted your time and money. It really forces you to understand exposure control which everyone should learn if they want to make photography a serious hobby.

I still use film when I need the maximum dynamic range possible in an image and my medium format cameras are all film (mainly because I don't want to drop $30,000 on a Hasselblad digital).

Buying a cheap point and shoot digital camera with a manual mode doesn't really help either because you are very limited in your choice of ISO, shutter speed, and aperture. This makes it much harder to teach proper exposure. So I would personally buy a film camera but not for the purposes of teaching the "film" aspects of it but rather how to take good photos. Otherwise spend a little bit more and get a used DSLR with a lens, like an old Canon 10D.
Old 03-05-10, 10:14 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by palebluedot View Post
I started on film and it has made me a better digital camera photographer because with film you have to get it right in the camera or you have wasted your time and money.
I also started in film, and knew little about photography until I had a digital camera. With film, you have to worry about the price (for film and development) for every shot. With digital, you can make as many shots as you want in as many experimental ways as you want and never worry about your wallet draining for each shot that may not turn out right.

Recently I looked at what used to be dream film SLR bodies that were far outside my budget, now available for 20 bucks or so on Ebay (supposed working ones, not fixer-upers.) I contemplated buying one-- then realized that I had absolutely no desire to use film, ever again-- no nostalgia whatsoever-- and passed on them.

Last edited by Deep_lurk; 03-05-10 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-05-10, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Buying a cheap point and shoot digital camera with a manual mode doesn't really help either because you are very limited in your choice of ISO, shutter speed, and aperture. This makes it much harder to teach proper exposure.
I am confused by this statement. ISO, shutter speed and aperture are the only way to control exposure in a camera. What do you mean by limited? The bulb setting, the faster shutter speed, DOF...?
Old 03-06-10, 03:51 AM

I am confused by this statement. ISO, shutter speed and aperture are the only way to control exposure in a camera. What do you mean by limited? The bulb setting, the faster shutter speed, DOF...?
a higher number iso allows you to use a higher number aperture or shutter speed in low light. i dont agree with the previous poster though. i learned a lot on my s5 and i had zero problem switching to a dslr..now i just have a nice iso range to play with. my camera takes awesome pics at iso 1600 and pretty good at 3200.
the s5 i was limited to 400. but it doesnt mean i didnt learn how to take pictures or how to get around the low iso. hell the first dslr's had pretty shitty high iso performance too. the affordable models are just now starting to be very good after 800.

i also have taken pics with the s5 that most people would assume i took it with a dslr.
Old 03-06-10, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well...I was keeping the OP's price range into consideration. On the cheaper cameras you are limited in those areas. For example the ISO usually maxes out at 400 and the lens is typically 4.0 - 12 (sometimes there are 2.8). Shutter speed is generally okay. So with these limits it's difficult to learn the full breadth of proper exposure. Once you start stepping into higher price cameras this is less of an issue. However with what the OP was saying about spending ~$100 on a film camera he could do much more than a similar priced digital camera.
Old 03-06-10, 04:45 AM

Well...I was keeping the OP's price range into consideration. On the cheaper cameras you are limited in those areas. For example the ISO usually maxes out at 400 and the lens is typically 4.0 - 12 (sometimes there are 2.8). Shutter speed is generally okay. So with these limits it's difficult to learn the full breadth of proper exposure. Once you start stepping into higher price cameras this is less of an issue. However with what the OP was saying about spending ~$100 on a film camera he could do much more than a similar priced digital camera.
and with all the money he will spend on film and developing he might as well buy a used digital for $200 or so.
Old 03-06-10, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't see that as a limitation. Sure, we all love to have a faster lens, higher clean ISO in our cameras but those functions are more useful when you understand exposure first. Any camera with M mode will give you enough to learn proper exposure.